What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Black Rabbit Summer
This topic is about Black Rabbit Summer
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. book about a fair, a missing boy, a murdered rabbit, and a murdered girl [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Laura | 2 comments Ok so the book was for teenagers. It was about some boy, lets call him george, who had this friend, lets call him tom, who lived down the street from him who was a little odd. No one else seemed to understand tom, and he was picked on a lot. He had this rabbit that he kept in a pen in his backyard who he said he could talk to him. Now this book was incredibly odd, it wasn't a comedy, was slightly morbid and the plot took forever to get anywhere, but even with that it was just impossible to put down and now i wish more than anything i had remembered what it was called. So anyways george was going to some fair that had come to town with some of his friends, and he invited Tom along. So at the fair i'm pretty sure they ran into this famous girl who had a reality tv show, but used to go to their high school or something. I don't really remember the rest of the book very well, but i do remember that george kept on losing sight of tom, and was panicking because he needed to be looked after (cause he was so odd). I think their was drinking involved, because from what i remember is that the next morning after the fair george wakes up and is having a hard time remembering everything that had happened the night before. All he knows is that tom is missing, and im pretty sure tom's faithful and apparently telepathic pet rabbit was found dead in it's pen the next morning. So george spends the rest of the book trying to find tom. Oh wait and i think the famous reality tv star (from the fair) turns up dead in the woods behind george and toms street. And every one is accusing bob because he no one can find him, plus he's really weird and everyone expected him to do something like this some day. Except for george of course, who has complete faith in his friend and is determined to find him. Ok that's all i can remember from the book. Please, please, please anyone who has the faintest idea of what book im talking about, pleas help me out. No matter how strange this book sounds,and no matter how slowly it moved, it was really good. Oh and sorry for how horribly this is written

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Your description was really good :) Sounds like Black Rabbit Summer Black Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks

Here is another description from Publisher's Weekly:
Sinister yet seductive, this brooding thriller bears all the Brooks (Lucas) hallmarks, chiefly the British author’s painful awareness of teenage alienation, made urgent by violent events; and a marked taste for ambiguity. Five teens precede a trip to a carnival with a visit to their long-abandoned hideout; as the narrator, Pete, explains, all five used to be friends, now they see one another as “people you used to know.” The next morning, one of them is missing—Raymond, a borderline type who believes his black rabbit can talk to him—as is a local girl turned wild-child celebrity, seen taunting Raymond the previous evening. As the police hunt for the starlet, Pete alone worries about Raymond and begins trying to track him.

Laura | 2 comments YES THAT'S IT! thank you so so so much!
Tab wrote: "Your description was really good :) Sounds like Black Rabbit SummerBlack Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks

Sinister yet seduct..."

Tab wrote: "Your description was really good :) Sounds like Black Rabbit SummerBlack Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks

Sinister yet seduct..."

Laura wrote: "Ok so the book was for teenagers. It was about some boy, lets call him george, who had this friend, lets call him tom, who lived down the street from him who was a little odd. No one else seemed to..."