What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > 80s or 90s YA boy walks through dimensions Ends up living in alternate California /s

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oye (new)

Oye | 4 comments Hi,

I remember selecting a book from a Young Adult Science Fiction or Fantasy list by public library in the late 80s early 90s.

The book was about a boy being chased by a similar person that could travel through alternate dimensions.

The book ends with the child in an alternate version of current day California.

What was the name of the book?

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Could be this one The Homeward Bounders

message 3: by Kris (last edited Nov 29, 2013 08:26AM) (new)

Kris | 33475 comments Mod
Why is the boy being chased?

Can you remember any descriptions of the boy (e.g., age, appearance, parents)?

How are the alternate dimensions different? (e.g., California at different times in the past? different fantasy worlds?)

message 4: by Oye (new)

Oye | 4 comments Hey Kris, thank you so much for replying.

The boy was traveling with his mom ( I think ) and the person chasing him was his father (again I think ). They were traveling in an old car.

So the book ends by the boy and his mother settling into an alternate version of California, where the United States did not take over California and Mexico and it is still part of Mexico where people still speak Spanish. This is how the boy knows he is an alternate timeline. He travels to different versions of earth but with different outcomes. (kind of like the show Sliders) The boy is able to travel by using his mind I believe. Also the person chasing him has the same power, and he is trying to keep himself safe.

message 5: by Oye (new)

Oye | 4 comments Andy wrote: "Could be this one The Homeward Bounders"

This one looks really good. Thanks for proposing a book, but this book isn't the one I was looking for.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mcpheat | 15 comments Could it be Gypsies by Robert Charles Wilson?

message 7: by Oye (new)

Oye | 4 comments YES!!! thats it! Its Gypsies THANK YOU!!!!

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Hmm. I should put that one on my list. I like Robert Charles Wilson, but haven't read "Gypsies"