Discovering Russian Literature discussion

GENERAL TOPICS > Looking for original Dostoevsky title

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pavlos (new)

Pavlos Hello,
I'm looking for a book from Dostoevsky that's translated to greek with the title: "Stations of madness". I can not find the translated print, nor can I find the original title (which obviously is not the same as the greek one). Can anyone guess which title is the english one? Thank you in advance.

message 2: by dely (new)

dely | 340 comments Pavlos wrote: "Hello,
I'm looking for a book from Dostoevsky that's translated to greek with the title: "Stations of madness". I can not find the translated print, nor can I find the original title (which obvious..."

Do you know the plot? This could help.

message 3: by Pavlos (new)

Pavlos I'm sorry but I don't. What I know is that it's about 200 pages in greek.

message 4: by dely (new)

dely | 340 comments Seen that you have the title in Greek, try to look for it on this site: http://www.worldcat.org/

Sometimes, in the book page, there is also the original title of the book and if you have the Russian title it is easier to find the English edition.

The only one that comes me in mind is The House of the Dead, but don't ask me why.

message 5: by Pavlos (new)

Pavlos I'll try the worlcat later. The House of the Dead is not the one I'm looking for (it's translated with the same title). The main problem is that I don't have the book, so - sadly - I can't get a glimpse to its first page. Anyway I think I'll have to make a 1 to 1 correlation of his books that I know both their greek and english titles and look for it in the remaining ones.
Thank you for your interest and help :)

message 6: by dely (new)

dely | 340 comments Pavlos wrote: "I'll try the worlcat later. The House of the Dead is not the one I'm looking for (it's translated with the same title). The main problem is that I don't have the book, so - sadly - I can't get a gl..."

You're welcome ;)
I hope you will find the book. You can also try to look for the bibliography on some site hoping that there also the original titles.

Let us know when you find it, now I'm curious.

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 30 comments I'd suggest "Demons" (aka "The Devils") - but I'm just guessing.

message 8: by Pavlos (new)

Pavlos Thank you. I just learned the plot. It's about a father and daughter (the mother's either dead or just missing). Half the book is from the viewpoint of the father, the other half from the daughter's one.

message 9: by Pavlos (new)

Pavlos At last I found it! It's "Netochka Nezvanova" - a 'Nameless Nobody'. I managed to get it from a bookstore selling old used books.

message 10: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 30 comments Well done! And you have now interested me in reading it. Not an easy one to get hold of a copy, though...

message 11: by dely (new)

dely | 340 comments Fine, I'm glad you found it!
Why did they translate it with "Stations of madness"?! Really strange.

message 12: by Pavlos (new)

Pavlos Who can tell? They sometimes change the title of movies to a more catchy one, but I did not know they did it to book titles, too. I've already read half of it; it creates very intense feelings.

message 13: by dely (new)

dely | 340 comments This year I overlooked Russian literature, I must get back to it next year!

message 14: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 30 comments It seems to be a particular issue with Russian literature; I have copies of several modern Russian novels where the English edition's title is completely different than the Russian one!