Fangirl Fangirl discussion

Simon Snow (Series)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lyndi Steinhilber It totally needs to be real; and Baz and Simon should end up together like Cath wanted. :)

Bipasha LIKE, TOTALLY. ;)

Lyndi Steinhilber It would be quite awesome right?!
I wonder if Rainbow ever thought about it...?

Rose Miller Someone should totally write that!

Dovgalev Emma I think that they should end up together too, and I think that Rainbow Rowell thought of it, it's kind of something that impossible to miss, I'm hoping for a sequel to this book

Naimah I love Fangirl so much Rainbow Rowell is one of my best authors i own all 3 of her books i am such a huge fan love love <3333333333

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

omg I would die if it were real! after reading fangirl, I was just like SIMON SNOW WHY R THERE NO BOOKS!

Sarah It would be so cool. The main thing that bothered me about the ending of Fangirl was that we never got to find out whether or not Cath was right about Simon and Baz getting together at the end of the last book.

Macy Rodriguez Everyone is asking "WHY ARE THERE NOT SIMON SNOW BOOKS?!" open your eyes people, there are. It's called a rip off of Harry Potter.

message 10: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Yeah. Hello.

Hachton Macy wrote: "Everyone is asking "WHY ARE THERE NOT SIMON SNOW BOOKS?!" open your eyes people, there are. It's called a rip off of Harry Potter."

so who are baz and simon in harry potter?

inaword Hachton wrote: "Macy wrote: "Everyone is asking "WHY ARE THERE NOT SIMON SNOW BOOKS?!" open your eyes people, there are. It's called a rip off of Harry Potter."

so who are baz and simon in harry potter?"

I always assumed they were supposed to be some version of Harry and Draco (or a mix of Ron and Draco's roles, I suppose)

Shanice Rae The world of Simon Snow seems a lot like Harry Potter. Still might be interesting to see some more Simon Snow short stories written by Rainbow! Or perhaps a novel?

Racchi Doo Yeah, as I read the book, I suspected it to be based off HP, and Simon as Harry, and Baz as Draco :D
Which was real nice, since I ship Drarry as well.
So anyway, I went and searched up the Simon Snow series and saw that lot's of other websites said the same thing.

Samantha Trillium (Just Reading in the Rain)☂ When I was reading Fangirl, all the Simon Snow fanfic sections, and the excerpts from the "real" novels before each chapter was making me think that these were ligit books and that I had somehow just missed this huge phenomenon and then I had to Google it haha

Allie Poole I agree, through the first half of "Fangirl" I completely thought that Simon Snow was a derivative of HP, and found that slightly annoying.

HOWEVER, I started looking at it different in the second half of the book. Treating it more the like Xbox game "Fable" and thinking of it as a group of Mages that are training to go out into the world and help people.

So, I guess it depends on how you look at it. I liked the idea of Simon Snow much better after my brain mashed the HP rip-off idea with the 'Fable' idea. Much cooler.

Think of it as trying to separate "Divergent" and "The Hunger Games". They look and read extraordinarily similar. However, if you truly separate them out in your mind, and look at them as two completely different worlds, they are amazingly different. It all depends on your paradigm.

Sarah Allie wrote: "I agree, through the first half of "Fangirl" I completely thought that Simon Snow was a derivative of HP, and found that slightly annoying.

HOWEVER, I started looking at it different in the second..."

That is an amazing way of looking at it! I suppose it was easier for me to love Simon Snow because I've never read Harry Potter.

Lauren Cohen Sarah wrote: "It would be so cool. The main thing that bothered me about the ending of Fangirl was that we never got to find out whether or not Cath was right about Simon and Baz getting together at the end of t..."

It seemed to me like they were never going to "get together" in the real book series...the last scene we saw of them together showed that they gained some sort of mutual respect for each other, and I think Baz's last line was something like, "I'm not giving up on Agatha."

I was sad that we never got to see how Cath ended Carry On, Simon! I'm assuming she went with the happy ending Wren was pushing for; it would be awful if she killed Baz! What do you guys think?

message 19: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann it would be cool to actually read about Simon Snow. it sounds like a fine book series.

message 20: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon Lawrence Samantha wrote: "When I was reading Fangirl, all the Simon Snow fanfic sections, and the excerpts from the "real" novels before each chapter was making me think that these were ligit books and that I had somehow ju..."

So Did I haha

Sammy Rose wrote: "Someone should totally write that!"

ok if no one right the simon snow series I will!!!!!!

Bekah Herondale When I first read this book, all I could think was "WHY ISN'T SIMON SNOW REAL??" XD it should totally be a real series, and Baz and Simon should be together!!

Austen  Clayton I so wish someone would write the Simon Snow series, but with Cath's version of the last book. I really wanted her to finish it, and I wanted to read it! I was upset that Simon and Baz didn't actually get together in the eighth book, but if they did, then it would be one more difference to help make the series not seem identical to Harry Potter. I hope someone writes those books, and they become really successful.

Georgie If somebody - I don't even care who - writes the Simon Snow series I will fangirl like crazy. I mean I need more of the characters. Even seeing them in like a Fangirl movie (which I 100%) would go watch would be amazing.

Angela I don't think Rainbow Rowell will write a full blown series... I thought it was clever of her to put lots of excerpts, made Simon Snow (I also googled it haha) and the fanfics sound real. I was kind of hoping she wrote whole versions of Cath's stories then planned to share it with us later but that seems unlikely now. I am also hoping somebody *will* write fanfics about SimonSnow I'd love to read about him and Baz, sounds really fun :)

Mz.fangirl I'm so dumb! i actually asked this book nerd in my school if he had read the Simon Snow Series! I really hope that Rainbow does write the series (and with the Simon and Baz falling in love part)I think she would be the only person really eligible to write the story because she came up with it. I still cant believe that the Simon Snow Series isn't real! It definitely should be!

message 27: by Lena (last edited May 28, 2014 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena I also thought it was loosely based on HP. But since she couldn't excerpt a real book, she made up a similar world and fandom. I didn't think GTL would ever make them gay, as they were enemies until the last, when they learn to tolerate each other. Plus, if she made them gay, Cath's version would lose its original spin on the stories. That was what made her fanfic special.

We're talking about a book based on a book in a book, lol.

message 28: by Lucy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lucy It's a glorified version of Harry Potter

Shut Up, I'm Reading. Simon X Baz are the equivalent to Drarry, right? But, yeah I would tots love Simon Snow. It wouldnt be as good as HP though

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't mind if Simon Snow was a series. I would totally read it given the chance.

message 31: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 03, 2014 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebekah It's obvious that Simon Snow is just a non-copyright version of Harry Potter, right? And Simon and Baz are just Draco and Harry! If Rainbow was going to invent some original series for Cath to be 'really active in the fandom' of, it would need a lot of imagination to create some new fantasy world - worth the effort for a full-scale book, but not really worth it for a few small excerpts dotted through the novel. So instead, Rainbow just took Hogwarts/Harry, and stripped it back to basics (Simon lives in an orphanage, they still play football, the spells aren't Latin (Most, if not all, of the Harry Potter spells are in Latin, which obviously Rainbow wasn't going to bother with), all the students still use their laptops, instead of something as complex as the Triwizard Tournament (which Rainbow wouldn't have been able to explain in the short extracts at the end of each chapter) Simon has to 'find five hares' etc etc etc).
But I would love to read a Simon Snow fanfiction! I LOVED the Simon-Baz dynamic! If anyone knows of one could they please post the link here!

message 32: by naty (new) - rated it 1 star

naty I'm pretty sure they were supossed to be Draco and Harry but I don't know, I kind of think these books have their own potential. It is sure not to have the same impact as Harry Potter had, but they might be good anyway.

message 33: by lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

lily Are the books real?

message 34: by lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

lily They just seemed so real in the book.
Are they just the books's"Harry Potter"?

Margaret S If people want Simon Snow fanfics, there's a lot of it in the Fangirl area of Fanfiction.net(go to the books category, then find Fangirl and go from there). There's even someone doing their own version of Carry On, Simon.

message 36: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee I thought of it as a rip off of a Harry Potter within a rip off... I believe Harry Potter is mentioned within the book. So... It isn't like it's a complete knock off... But it is.

Anyway. I thought of Baz as a mix of Draco and Snape. And Snow more like James than Harry. And the girl was Lily not Hermione. Because Snow and Baz fight for her.

I did actually enjoy reading the fan fiction parts of the book. I used to read (and write) fan fiction and it was so true. But never felt mean about it, you know?

Chelsea Well, Rainbow Rowell has been asked to write Simon Snow, but she did say that it was Cath's universe of the books and large success of Harry Potter.

Sarah Joshalyn wrote: "I'd like Rainbow to write some shorts, actually. For Simon Snow It's be awesome."

This sounds SO cool. Maybe if she ever gets bored or something, she'd consider it!

Adhvika It took me a while to realize that the Simon and baz series wasn't ACTUALLY real I kept thinking wow can't believe I've never heard of this then Levi said well everyone's heard of the series and it started to hit me that it might not be real but I Sooooooo didn't want it to be true so I kept reading but now that I finished it I decided to look it and sadly it is true but I still LOVED the book and would LOVE an actual series!

Natalie It would be to controversial. If the Simon Snow series becomes a real deal. It could get real popular real quick. People who love Harry Potter might not like this because of I wouldn't say copyright. But the same ideas whould irritate people. Also most people aren't use to gays so the thought of Simon and Baz together would anger half the nation. But I wouldn't mind if it were real.

message 41: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Simon Snow is very similar to the Harry Potter series, but sounds would be just as popular. Although we get little plot information through Cath's fan fiction.

message 42: by Shreya (new)

Shreya If Rainbow Rowell writes a graphic novel about Simon Snow, OMG YEEESS

message 43: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Rainbow Rowell has already confirmed that she is writing a book called Carry On, just like Caths fanfic in Fangirl, it will be a Simon and Baz story. It won't be released until October 2015. She also is talking about afterwards making it a Graphic novel as well.

Sayani OMG!A Simon Snow graphic novel would be just marvellous! If only Rainbow's listening...

message 45: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat She's already said that she will possibly do a graphic novel because so many people want one.

message 46: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat She's already said that she will possibly do a graphic novel because so many people want one.

message 47: by Shreya (new)

Shreya Search it up, named "Carry On"

Kainaz Rose wrote: "Someone should totally write that!"

Someone did, her name is J K Rowling.

Meghan Gregoire If you click on Rainbow Rowell's name on goodreads, it says there's a book coming out next November called carry on :)

message 50: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian I Cant wait for Carry On

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Fangirl (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Raina Telgemeier (other topics)