What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
This topic is about Hattie and the Wild Waves
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's picture book about going to the beach in the Victorian era (or around then) [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (bookandcat) | 26 comments Hello, I am trying to remember the name/author of a children's book (I believe it was a picture book, not a chapter book; at least it definitely had hand-drawn color illustrations). I read it in the 1990s but am not sure of the year it was actually published. It followed a family I believe in the Victorian era who would travel to the beach/shore during the summer because it was hot. I think they may have gone from Philadelphia or an inland city to the New Jersey shore (the story may have followed this migration pattern over some years to show change, but I cannot recall). I just remember reading it and thinking "these pictures look like the houses in Margate, NJ!" and realizing that air conditioning did not exist in that era. I also remember thinking that the people wore "funny-looking" bathing costumes, and I believe they traveled via horse and carriage instead of by car, which is why I am hypothesizing that it was set during the Victorian era.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33469 comments Mod
Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn by Barbara Cooney? You can preview this picture book on Amazon (Look Inside).
http://www.amazon.com/Hattie-Wild-Wav...

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen (bookandcat) | 26 comments Yes! I think that was it. My mom was able to confirm it for me since the beginning looked familiar but the preview did not have the one drawing I remember. Thank you so much; this has bothered me for years!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33469 comments Mod
Glad you found your book. It's funny how family members remember different things. :)