What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
This topic is about Neverwhere
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Characters in tunnels of victorian London, Fiction 90's [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jool (jools4853) Set in tunnels of Victorian London, a fantasy type book (magical or mysterious characters). I read this paperback in the mid to late 90's. Cover was in blues and blacks depicting silhouette(s) and dark wet foggy London street, I believe. Outstanding book, Adult fiction (or not young adult - just real scary/intriguing, no sex or anything like that). I seem to remember a crow in this book(?). This band of misfits/mysterious characters mostly reside in tunnels of London. Book was quite the thriller, although not really monsters. I did wake up screaming one night. Only book that ever did that to me, because the plot was so intense I think. I thought I had found it with the name "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" but that was not it. Book I'm looking for has a male author I believe

message 2: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra B. (ipreferdebbieinsteadofdebra) The Great Stink. Could it be this book? It takes place in the sewers of London during the Victorian era. And sewers are tunnels of a sort...

Jool (jools4853) Thanks for the rapid response, Debra! This is not the book I was looking for but I have put it on my "to read" list. I love that period of London, the 1800's. Thank you so much!
Jool

Debra wrote: "The Great Stink. Could it be this book? It takes place in the sewers of London during the Victorian era. And sewers are tunnels of a sort..."

Chris Conkling | 2 comments Could it be Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman??

Jool (jools4853) OMG OMG OMG!!!! YESSSSS!!!!! I have racked my brain for years for this book!!! OH wow! Thank you thank you. OK I owe you a steak dinner. (hope you're not vegan or anything). WOW. Have you read anything else by this author? Wow. I am going to get this on my Kindle RIGHT NOW. You rock. PS I'm in TX if you want to collect on that steak. LOL. Thanks again. Wow, less than one hour posted and have my answer. Very happy!

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Jool--has Neil Gaiman written any other books? That's like asking if the sky is blue.

He's a very good writer. Not 19th century London, but might I suggest Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch which he and Terry Pratchett wrote many moons ago when both were relatively young unknowns.

Jool (jools4853) Ann,thanks for this info on Neil Gaiman. After doing a search on him I see he is quite the prolific writer - Cannot believe I had "lost" him all these years. I'm going to be busy catching up with him! thanks --Jool

Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Jool--has Neil Gaiman written any other books? That's like asking if the sky is blue.

Chris Conkling | 2 comments Jool wrote: "OMG OMG OMG!!!! YESSSSS!!!!! I have racked my brain for years for this book!!! OH wow! Thank you thank you. OK I owe you a steak dinner. (hope you're not vegan or anything). WOW. Have you rea..."

Gaiman is pretty amazing. He's probably most famous for two other works-1) and ongoing graphic novel series called Sandman and 2) Coraline-a short children's book that was made into a movie. I highly recommend American Gods and Coraline. He has a new one out that I haven't read quite yet: The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Be aware-he is *very* prolific! Neverwhere is still one of my favorites of his-it was the first book I read by him.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Jool--has Neil Gaiman written any other books? That's like asking if the sky is blue.

He's a very good writer. Not 19th century London, but might I suggest [book:Good Omens: The ..."

I am not sure I agree about the description "relatively young unknowns" when it comes to Pratchett he had already had his first book published in 1971 and by the time he collaborated with Gaiman he had already 15 books published.

message 10: by Jool (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jool (jools4853) Thanks for this info, Kagama. I will look up Pratchett as well. I've only been on Goodreads a few days and already learning about so many great authors and reads!
--Jool

Kagama wrote: "when it comes to Pratchett he had already had his first book published in 1971 and by the time he collaborated with Gaiman he had already 15 books published."

message 11: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments The Ocean at the End of the Lane is an....interesting read. It's about a man reminiscing about part of his childhood. But is that part of his childhood real or made up? (This is why I don't review books. When people ask me I usually just say "it was good" and leave it at that.)
My first Gaiman read was Stardust, which I read after seeing the movie. I've also read Odd and the Frost Giants (Viking boy with a disability meets Norse gods and saves the day) and The Graveyard Book (boy survives murder of whole family by living in graveyard where ghosts protect him).

message 12: by Jool (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jool (jools4853) Thanks, Merrilee! I am sure I will follow all of his books since I tend to soak up all I can on authors I like. I did order American Gods in addition to Neverwhere.
I agree with you regarding reviews; I don't write them because I just wind up writing a an entire thesis on the book. I do admire those who write good reviews, though!
--Jool
Merrilee wrote: "The Ocean at the End of the Lane is an....interesting read. It's about a man reminiscing about part of his childhood. But is that part of his childhood real or made up? (This is wh..."