Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Julia Quinn
This topic is about Julia Quinn
76 views
Introductions > Which book should I start with?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Hi, JQ and EJ fans. I've been re-introduced into reading romances this year, having not really read much since school and Jane Austen.

This year, I think what started it was The Selection by Keira Cass, which is a YA / PNR book. But then I read others by Elizabeth Hanbury, and am currently reading books by Courtney Milan, Sherry Thomas and so on. Have heard good things about Elizabeth Hoyt, Jane Feathers and so on. Love just a good story that flows. So which of Julia's and Eloise's stories should I be looking for in 2014? Thank you!


message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1922 comments Mod
Hi John! Welcome!

I generally suggest folks start reading Eloisa James with Much Ado About You, which is the first book in The Essex Sisters quartet. She's written quite a few books since then, but I think it's a good example of her work. You might also try any of her Fairy Tale series, which are all stand aliens. My favorite is When Beauty Tamed the Beast.

Julia Quinn is a bit less complicated. I'd start with the second of her Bridgerton series, The Viscount Who Loved Me. Though I feel sure someone else will say The Duke and I.


message 3: by Ki (new)

Ki (kazamei) | 143 comments LOL I jumped from books to books from both these ladies in their series. I should really read them in order but sometimes it just happens out of order to drag me into their world.

Julia just released her latest Smythe-Smith book, Sum of All Kisses, so the last and fourth book in the series will be out in 2014.

And of course we'll all waiting for Eloisa's Three Weeks With Lady X, book 7 in her Desperate Duchesses series~ Releasing in March.


message 4: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Manda wrote: "Hi John! Welcome!

I generally suggest folks start reading Eloisa James with Much Ado About You, which is the first book in The Essex Sisters quartet. She's written quite a few books..."


Manda wrote: "Hi John! Welcome!

I generally suggest folks start reading Eloisa James with Much Ado About You, which is the first book in The Essex Sisters quartet. She's written quite a few books..."


Hi Manda, thanks for the insight. I tend to like books that are stand alones,but nothing wrong with serials either. Added Much Ado About You as you suggested, A Kiss At Midnight, and The Ugly Duchess. Who doesn't like modern fairy tales? And I'm weak for those kind of covers as well. Will look forward to reading then :)


message 5: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Ki wrote: "LOL I jumped from books to books from both these ladies in their series. I should really read them in order but sometimes it just happens out of order to drag me into their world.

Julia just rele..."


Hi Ki :)

I have already added Sum of All Kisses to my 2014 list. I tend to jump around stories, paying no attention to book numbers either :) Thanks Ki!


message 6: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2104 comments Mod
Hi, John! I'm in love with The Selection trilogy by KC. Can't wait to read The One #3 next year :)

I agree with Manda- start with Much Ado About You(#1 The Essex Sisters quartet). Happy Reading!


message 7: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Okie wrote: "Hi, John! I'm in love with The Selection trilogy by KC. Can't wait to read The One #3 next year :)

I agree with Manda- start with Much Ado About You(#1 The Essex Sisters quartet). Happy Reading!"


Hi Okie...I already marked MAAY :) Read book one of The Selection...it was good...but The One looks like it may tie things up nicely!


message 8: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2104 comments Mod
It looks like it does...but after reading Veronica Roths, Allegiant, I won't be surprised if America doesn't get the HEA I want her and Maxon to have.
Sounds harsh, I know o.o


message 9: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Okie wrote: "It looks like it does...but after reading Veronica Roths, Allegiant, I won't be surprised if America doesn't get the HEA I want her and Maxon to have.
Sounds harsh, I know o.o"


Haven't read those books yet, but of the two characters, Maxon seems better than Aspen...didn't like him at all! Personally I think Mer could do better than either of them!


message 10: by Susan (last edited Feb 11, 2014 05:03AM) (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 727 comments Welcome to the world of Romance. I love the Bridgerton Series by Julia Quinn. Read them in order I like the fact that there are male leads and female leads adds to the variation in story lines.
http://juliaquinn.com/books/main.php

If you enjoyed Pride and Prejudice you may enjoy Longbourn newly released written by Jo Baker
http://www.amazon.com/Longbourn-Jo-Ba...


message 11: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Susan wrote: "Welcome to the world of Romance. I love the Bridgerton Series by Julia Quinn. Read them in order I like the fact that there are male leads and female leads adds to the variation in story lines.
htt..."


I like the look of Longbourn, thanks Susan!


back to top