Start by marking “When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)” as Want to Read:
When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)

When Beauty Tamed the Beast

(Fairy Tales #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  22,874 ratings  ·  2,012 reviews
Miss Linnet Berry Thrynne is a Beauty . . . Naturally, she's betrothed to a Beast.

Piers Yelverton, Earl of Marchant, lives in a castle in Wales where, it is rumored, his bad temper flays everyone he crosses. And rumor also has it that a wound has left the earl immune to the charms of any woman.

Linnet is not just any woman.

She is more than merely lovely: her wit and charm b
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about When Beauty Tamed the Beast, please sign up.
Anapero I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who doesn't feel comfortable reading about sex. The descriptions are quite explicit and a big part of this bo…moreI wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who doesn't feel comfortable reading about sex. The descriptions are quite explicit and a big part of this book is dedicated to sex or sexual connotations.(less)
Emily No. They’re written as stand alone, but part of a retelling of fairytales series.

·  22,874 ratings  ·  2,012 reviews

Start your review of When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“I suppose you think I’ll fall in love with you,” he said.

“Quite likely.”

“How long do you give yourself?” He sounded genuinely curious.

“Two weeks at the outside.” And then she did give him the smile—dimples, charm, sensuality and all.

He didn’t even blink. “Was that the best you’ve got?”

“Generally, that’s more than enough.”

“I suppose I should say something reassuring at this point.” He pitched his voice to a groveling apology. “It’s not me, it’s you.” Then: “Oops! Got that backwards. It’s not
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
When Beauty Tamed the Beast was an okay read for me. I enjoyed the audio version but I didn't really care much for the hero or heroine. There was just something about both of them that was off putting to me. I didn't connect to them and in turn didn't connect to their love story. It wasn't a bad read it just didn't do it for me!
Rane
Once upon a time..(looks at calendar) not to long ago. A reviewer named Rane picked up the second in a fairy tale series. Rane enjoyed the first book in the series, and looked forward to next, and thankfully wasn't disappointed or shed tears in her little reviewer corner....or write her displeasure in this review (saved her keyboard from the heartache of pounding keys!) And with joy Rane was able to bestow more stars along with others on this great little tale.

Rane, a true lover of the story of
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Just what the doctor ordered!

I’m a big fan of historical romance novels, but admittedly the genre can become a bit tedious due to storylines and characters who are confined to the particular roles and behaviors of their era. I’ve read just about every kind of historical romance, from those of the light and fluffy variety to those that leave my emotions in a tattered mess. Well, I’m happy to say that When Beauty Tamed the Beast struck a perfect balance of both, and was an absolute pleasure to rea
Jilly
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beauty and the Beast if the Beast was House M.D., and Beauty was hilariously snarky. I totally loved this!

Even better than this retelling. It was a close race.

"Beauty" is Linnet. She gets ruined by a prince because she wears an unfortunate dress that makes her look preggers. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, according to the ton, she is done. Her only choice is to marry a Duke, who is a brilliant doctor, and is nicknamed the Beast. He is supposedly impotent, so her fake little princely bun
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

Tortured male MC based off of Dr. House, snarky banter, and a slow-burn love story?

I adored When Beauty Tamed the Beast, which was just what the doctor (ha!) ordered right now. It was my first read by the talented Eloisa James, and I think I started off with the right one.

I loved the loose interpretation of a "Beauty and the Beast" retelling, especially since the beauty character had even more brains than beauty. Linnet was relatable, charming, and hear me out, probably on the demis
Mariah Roze
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
My goal was to read as many Beauty and Beast retellings as possible before I went to see the new movie. However, with all the book club reads and personal reads I was able to only read two. I read Beauty by Robin McKinley and this book. I looked up available Beauty and the Beast stories at the my library and this book popped up, so I thought, "why not?!"

This book was nothing like the original story of Beauty and the Beast. Miss Linnet Berry Thrynne is beautiful, so she is called beauty every onc
Fani *loves angst*
If you like Dr House in TV, you'll probably enjoy this book too. The hero is exactly like House, the same aching leg and dry wit that drives some people insane and some women like flies to honey:) I belong to the second group because honestly I think there is nothing sexier than a man with brains, provided that he's not only using his wits to laugh at others, but also to laugh at himself.

I also liked the heroine a lot. Linnet was as sarcastic and intelligent as House Piers himself, thus resultin
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Loosely based on the traditional plot line, When Beauty Tamed the Beast is a quirky and fanciful version with a likeable society belle heroine and a cynical nobleman doctor hero as protagonists and a remote country estate in Regency-era Wales as backdrop.
James's writing was smooth and engaging as ever, infused with humour and zest, and her dialogues and banter shone as usual, so my lower rating stems from elsewhere. Mainly from the fact that I found the melodramatic turn the events took in the
Shawna
5 stars – Historical Romance

After reading three books by Eloisa James that left me less than wowed, I was wary about reading another one. But the premise for this sounded great and all the rave reviews convinced me to give it a try. Boy oh boy, I’m so glad that I did because it’s fabulous...and yes, it wowed me! I loved it!

Sarcastic, snarky humor, witty banter, and snappy dialogue? Check!

A feisty, funny, intelligent, lovable heroine with razor-sharp wit who gives just as good as she gets? Check!
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the Historical Romance for those who are bored with the standard or the norm. Different type of hero, and a great heroine. I loved the story..up til the end...the ending ruined it for me.

The opening scene of this book is hysterical. Our heroine Linnet has just been ruined. Why is this funny? There were a couple factors in her being shunned from the ton but the biggie was her new gown. It's this fabulous new frilly ballgown...that makes her look pregnant!!! Combine that with her absolutel
Sarah MacLean
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book. It is classic Eloisa James...fun and funny, and emotional and wonderful all at the same time. Could well be my favorite of all her books!
Lisa Kay
description

★★★★½ (This is a review of the audiobook.) I loved this one, narrated by Susan Duerden, who does an excellent job. I’ll be looking for more of her work. She is so good with the male (not easy) and female voices and the accents, regardless of the country or the social class. Ms. Duerden is very good at making me forget the book is even being narrated, instead drawing me into the story.

Speaking of the story…granted, there are a few things for which I really should mark off on my star rating; howev
Felicia
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Totally wanted to hate this book, and I ended up really liking it! Basically combine the most perfect woman ever with a cranky House-like Duke and you have this book. That pitch alone made me NOT read it for a while, the heroine is described is SUCH DETAIL about how pretty and perfect she is, so I was even more impressed when you dove into the book how likable she became. And once I got over hearing House in my ear with the hero, I really loved his character. Def a Historical stand-alone that's ...more
Naomi
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet book I liked the characters the girl had a sense of humor and the guy was just so bluntly mean it was funny. It didnt really have much to do with beauty and the beast which was what I was looking forward to but still I enjoyed it
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.75 Strawberry Stars

Nothing good ever comes from kissing princes, well at least not for Linnet. It has already been decided that she is a light skirt and harlot who gave herself the Prince. It doesn’t matter that she didn’t and it surely doesn’t matter that she isn’t carrying a child by him. The Ton has decided that she is just like her mother and is a wanton harlot.
“God Almighty, your ruined, and you didn't even eat the gingerbread.”

I like Linnet, she is a beautiful woman who might look n
Dina
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why, but this pic made me think of Piers and Linnet playing by the beach pool:

Photobucket
Catherine
This book was absolutely fabulous in the beginning! I loved the banter and I loved the characters. Linnet was such a great heroine and I adored her willingness to go toe to toe with the beast of a doctor, Piers. I've heard that the author modeled the hero after Dr. House, and it must be true because the similarities are quite obvious. That's all right though because I've always enjoyed House. He's an ass, yes, but he is also strangely nice and oddly charming. So it's no surprise that I loved Pie ...more
Addie H
I am re-reading all my 5 star rated romance novels. There are 60 on my shelf. This is book 9.

(Tropes: Tortured Hero (limp), Arranged Marriage, Enemies to Lovers, Starched (hero) gets Unstarched, Fairytale Retelling (Beauty and the Beast), Fake Relationship)

This is how my 9th re-read held up.

description

The male character of this book is based on Gregory House M.D. Snarky, bitter, mocking, moody, cranky, cynical, antagonistic, and with a complete disregard for social rules.

WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?????????

******
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bug still plaguing me, read from 12/2-13/2.

14/2 - If you know me/my reviews, you'll find it as amazing as I do that this was my first romance for 2018. I had a large pile of mostly non-romance library books left over from last year that I wanted to read (this was one of them) and it's taken me till now to get to this one thanks to other more pressing due dates.

I had problems with the only other James book I've read, Much Ado About You as it didn't focus on the main couple, in fact when I DNFed i
willaful
There are several homages pointed out in the historical note for this book, and a number of throwaway allusions that aren’t mentioned (notably the two doctors named “Kibbles” and “Bitts,”) but what I most noticed was a drawing room comedy style that made me think of writers like Oscar Wilde. It’s actually a bit exhausting at first, so many bon mots and dry turns of phrase, and I wondered how well it would hold up for an entire romance. Luckily the style calms down a bit when our heroine Linnet m ...more
When Funmi Met Romance
When Beauty Tamed the Beast: My FAVORITE historical romance ever hands down! Breathtaking

Quick Thoughts
This review will in no way be able to adequately explain the caliber of excellence this novel has reached. I wish I could expose my heart and brain to everyone so that they could understand exactly how I feel regarding this book. I have always avoided Historical Romance that people deemed an emotional ride. I love banter, humor, battles, wit, love...everything jovial and fun. Yet, this book to
Alexa
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was supposed to be a 5 star read. It had two things I love:

Beauty and the Beast

and House...

There's no way this could go wrong, right?

Right?!

Well, it actually didn't. The book is not bad, but it's not great either. One of the reasons I love House so much, is because it stays true to character until the very end... House doesn't have a fairy tale happy ending. It couldn't. House is a grouchy, unhappy person who loves sabotaging his relationships and alienating everyone who loves him.

In thi
Penny Watson
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Beauty Tamed The Beast by Eloisa James

Whoa...................

I am sitting in a stupor, staring into space.

There are not many romance novels that fit into the "Lord of Scoundrels"-category of absolute perfection. Honor's Splendour by Julie Garwood. Several Amanda Quick books. It is almost impossible to get everything right. The characters. The setting. The story. The humor. The pacing. The sex. Every scene perfect.

And then to push it one step further. Not only flawless in these ways, but to
Mei
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Yes, their banter was fun, Linnet was feisty and Piers was as beastly as Dr. House, but I found it very unbelievable.

I don't think anybody, living in that period, would have behaved like every single character here!
I suppose that for the story to work it has to be places in that period, but their behavior was actually very modern day!

She's ruined in the ton's eyes just because of a dress. But she flirted with the prince shamelessly, so her "ruin" is in part her fault.

Anyhow she accpets her rui
Jan
1.5 to 2 stars. I think Ms James' writing style is just not my cup of tea. She's a popular writer though, so I think it's me, not the book. This one was okaayyy but I just got to a point where I couldn't really be bothered finishing it. Didn't care what happened to the characters (can't even remember their names....oops). Don't let this put you off, though, as other readers clearly love this book.

I read one of the Desperate Duchess series a while ago and found it pretty silly and OTT. I wanted t
KatLynne
My first book by Eloisa James and I loved it! I loved the humor and the tenderness and while other books have certainly had more steam, this one had enough to get the job done. Hot, sexy Dr. Piers, tortured though he may be, became my hero and Linnet Berry Thrynne is my type heroine. Loved her spunkiness. And she was the perfect one to tame the Beast:)

I definately will be reading more by this author.

Steven Walle
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story. More later.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Teresa Medeiros
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! Since I'm a big HOUSE fan and Eloisa admits this book is a homage to that grumpy doctor (who is, of course, an homage to Sherlock Holmes), I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to get Hugh Laurie's image out of my head while reading. But in Piers, Eloisa has created an unforgettable (and desperately sexy) character with a wrenching backstory. His lack of self-pity only makes him more irresistible. And on top of giving me a hero to fall in love with, she also gave me a her ...more
Ruth
I loved this one so much, I'm actually tempted to do a sneak quickie re-read. I read it so fast, that I want to be sure that I've savored every single little itty-bitty word.

It has almost everything I love about good HRs: a great plot, a grouchy hero, a smart-ass heroine (OK, so she's ravishingly beautiful, and not a spinster, but I'll forgive her), witty dialogue and bits that nearly made me want to blub (I made the mistake of listening to Chopin whilst reading it...). Having said that, it is i

• Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • What I Did for a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Ravished
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • Suddenly You
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more

Fairy Tales (5 books)
  • A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1)
  • The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4)
  • Once Upon a Tower (Fairy Tales, #5)

Articles featuring this book

Jennifer Weiner is the author of many bestsellers, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, and Mrs. Everything. She's also a contributing opinion...
“I didn't realize you needed a response. When Hamlet is giving a monologue, he just goes on and on by himself.” 103 likes
“I love you," he said, his voice catching. "When I thought you were going to die, I wanted to die.” 58 likes