Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > When Beauty Tamed the Beast

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James

Aug 10, 2015

“I suppose you think I’ll fall in love with you,” he said.

“Quite likely.”

“How long do you give yourself?” He sounded genuinely curious.

“Two weeks at the outside.” And then she did give him the smile—dimples, charm, sensuality and all.

He didn’t even blink. “Was that the best you’ve got?”

“Generally, that’s more than enough.”

“I suppose I should say something reassuring at this point.” He pitched his voice to a groveling apology. “It’s not me, it’s you.” Then: “Oops! Got that backwards. It’s not you, it’s me.”
My favorite TV character in the whole, wide world, is this man. I adore him and his cranky ass.

This book is brilliant. It is charming. It is absolutely delightful. It is so fucking cute, seriously, and not because it is part of a series of Regencies based on fairy tales. It is humorous, it has wit, and the characters are just *in House voice* so fucking cute!

The reason I included the gif and the reference to House, MD, the TV show, is because this book is a delightful mix of Beauty and the Beast in which the "Beast" is, essentially, Dr. House. The heroine is a beauty. The beast is a cranky cripppled doctor whose man parts aren't in working order *spoiler alert: they work quite well, thank you very much*

Snort

Linnet is stunning. Gorgeous. Men faint at her feet. Women glare at her with envy. Birds sing in her presence. The sun dims next to her splendor, so on, and so forth. Only that doesn't matter one bit because Linnet is seriously fucked. Her reputation is in shreds, all because she was seen and kissed in the company of a playboy prince and then had the misfortune to 1) get sick in the morning from some bad prawns, then 2) wear a dress that made her look preggers. Those empire-waisted dresses, man. Everyone thinks there's a bun in the oven from Prince-not-so-charming, and so nobody wants to touch her with a 30-foot pole.

Enter The Duke. This Duke is fucked, too, because his son and sole heir Piers (the Beast) is not only a doctor (horror of horrors, a nobleman with a profession!) but he's horrendously mutilated, and his family jewels are no longer in working order. The Duke needs an heir. Enter Linnet who's presumably knocked-up! PROBLEM SOLVED! LINNET AND PIERS WILL MARRY EACH OTHER! The end.

Of course not.

Linnet may be beautiful, but she is neither stupid nor meek. She is not afraid to stand up to Piers, because, frankly, nobody else does.
“A barking-mad doctor—that’s me—and a wickedly conniving beauty—that’s you—limping along together in a lifetime of happiness? I hardly think so. You’ve been reading too many fairy stories.”

“Who says I can read? I can barely count, remember?”

He glanced at her and she decided, once again, to withhold the family smile. “I’m starting to think I may have been wrong about your abilities. You can probably count all the way to ten and back.”

“That just warms my heart,” she cooed.

And Piers, the fantastic, cranky asshole is just as charming as my beloved Dr. House. He suffers from the same amount of excruciating pain due to his unhealing injury. And he has pretty much the same amount of bedside manners.
“Piers looked up at him. 'You're new. What's your name?'

'Neythen, my lord.'

'Sounds like a terrible illness. No, more like a bowel problem. I'm sorry, Lord Sandys, your son has contracted neythen and won't live a month. No, no, there's nothing I can do. Sandys would have preferred hearing that to syphilis.”

This is a fairy tale, but the delightful thing about this book is that there's so much going on. There's no nauseating amount of romance, the side cast and side stories, as well as the little bits of medicine in the book - are so fun to read and follow. And did I say I love the supporting cast? I adore them! Dr. House has his own little team of doctors, and Piers has...
The door opened and Prufrock ushered in the three young doctors currently making a nuisance of themselves trying to learn medicine.

“Penders, Kibbles, and Bitts,” Piers said, nodding at each in turn. “Kibbles is the only one with working brains; Bitts is a gentleman, so there weren’t any for him to inherit. And Penders is improving, which is good because there was nowhere to go but up.
KIBBLES AND BITTS! These little bits of humor in this book warms me old cockles. And then there's his cousin Sébastien, the Regency equivalent of the charming, affable Wilson. His best friend (although Piers would vehemently deny it), and the one who understands him more than he likes.
“You think you’ve suddenly developed the ability to diagnose me, of all people? You can’t even manage a simple fever.”

“I know that you have an affinity for unhappiness,” Sébastien said, tipping his glass to his lips. “In fact, paradoxically, you don’t feel truly happy unless you are unhappy. The way to do that is to push away the people who give a damn about your nasty hide. Me, for one—except that I’m impossible to dislodge, so you seem to have given up on me. Your parents.” He turned and raised his glass in the direction of Linnet. “Your utterly beautiful fiancée.

He put his glass down on the sideboard. “You and I, we’ve always been together.”

“Just break it to me gently, will you? You’re running off with a dairymaid.”

I loved this book because it wasn't too heavy on the romance...which made it all the sweeter when it finally came.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Beauty Tamed the Beast.

Started Reading
August 10, 2015 – Shelved
August 10, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Darina (new)

Darina Lovely Review :)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Wonderful review, Khanh! I love me some House too, this sounds delightful :)

message 3: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah Alvord Omg, I want to read it just for that opening quote! And the House references were to die for!

message 4: by Émeraude (new)

Émeraude *_____* I want to read it!!

Kay Dee she was on my list to read because she is a readlike for Julie Quinn.- historical romance with lots of lol snark and no rape!

your excerpts from the book made me lol. i'll be moving her up on my candy aka romance TBR list. and when i get to this book i'll be imagining Dr. house and it's all your fault.

Sakina Definitely want to read this after reading your review which is amazing as always!

Tandie Khanh, I'm totally sold on this after reading your review.

Jonnu i loved this book..it's different from any other historical romances

message 9: by Kay Dee (last edited Aug 10, 2015 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay Dee Tandie wrote: "Khanh, I'm totally sold on this after reading your review.
I have a special weakness for B&tB retellings. I've never watched House before, kind of interested in that now too."

oh i so want to watch a full episode of House but the diseases and stuff just gross me out so much i can't do it. i'll start an episode and eventually they'll show some strange uncommon illness and it will just be the grossest thing. same reason i can't watch Bones- liquified corpses gross me out as well.

message 10: by R.K. (new)

R.K. Syrus U had us at 'so fucking cute' :D

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Great review! I loved this one as well, Piers made my day :)

Nastassja I can't stop laughing, your review is so adorably funny! I thought James has lost her charm, but it seems there is life in the old dog yet))

message 13: by Marla Mei (new) - added it

Marla Mei Yesss finally!! Another HR recommendation from you!! It's been so long since I read one.

message 14: by Pearl (new) - rated it 1 star

Pearl Angeli Great review! This book, sad to say, did not work out for me. :(( I hate how the male mc continued to deny his feelings toward the female mc. UGH.

message 15: by Kels (new)

Kels I'll definitely be checking this book out! Awesome review! :)

Sabrina OK, I'm sold.
Historical romance is not usually "my genre" of books, but after reading your review I'm willing to try it.
If it goes wrong…

Hannah ◇Reader in the Rough◇ Yay, something new to try! Thanks for sharing, I'm excited to curl up with this book in the near future. It's hard for me to wade through the HR genre and find the gems. You're making life easier, haha.

message 18: by Nidhi (new) - added it

Nidhi Bhatt Amazing review! I am currently reading it and I love the humour and witty banters between characters, Pier, Linnet and Prufrock.

Carolina Do I have to have read the first book in the series to read this one? You made very eager to read this!

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies No, they're all stand alones :)

Carolina Yay! Thanks!

Joann H (Sshh!!! I'm reading) You had me at Dr. House. No more needs to be said.

Vanessa Yep, I pictured Dr. house too!

Zahara Cerise ~ She Who Poaches Eggs * No Moon Required I loved this book, too!!!

The ending made me cry. It was heartrending.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more I loved this, toooooo! That almost never happens ;)

message 26: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara YEEEES DR HOUSE GIFS!!

*excuse me while I fangirl*

Hahaha I love that show. I love House. I love this review. This sounds like a book I'd really enjoy. Ok, I'm definitely adding it to my 'must read' list !! :D

Nina (Minou) Awesome review Khanh :)

Tandie I just got this pink atrocity at the library because of you!
I'm too cheap to buy the ebook, so I'll have to read it at home in order to keep my dignity. ;-)

Tandie Khanh, I LOVED IT!
Witty banter galore.

message 30: by Starfire (new) - added it

Starfire I want to read it now because of the comparison to house :3

Kay Dee ok, why did i just check out this ebook from my library when i have like 6 other books i need to read and a few coming on hold?

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies I hope it was worth the sacrifice :)

Kay Dee Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies) wrote: "I hope it was worth the sacrifice :)"

:-) i'll let you know. i'll read it this weekend or sooner depending.

message 34: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer yes please!!! damn these Beauty and Beast stories!

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary Dr. House is amazing. And I think this book will be too now that he's in it.

message 36: by Brightness (new)

Brightness oh yay. I have this one on my kindle but I haven't read it yet.

message 37: by Kay Dee (last edited Aug 31, 2015 09:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay Dee ok, dr.House/Piers really annoyed me at first. there was just sooooo very much of the back and forth and no real story at first. even beauty/linnet's family had an entire scene that was just a crazy conversation which i probably would have enjoyed more if i hadn't been so long.

i like witty banter but some conversations must be just real conversations. if it wasn't for Khanh's review, i probably would have just skipped to the end.
it got better and then it got even better towards the end. i liked it enough to want to read the other books in the series (which should be coming in for me at the lib any day now).

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Honestly the other books in the series sucked. Eloisa James is very very hit or miss for me.

Kay Dee Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies) wrote: "Honestly the other books in the series sucked. Eloisa James is very very hit or miss for me."

thanks for the warning!

message 40: by Brightness (new)

Brightness Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies) wrote: "Honestly the other books in the series sucked. Eloisa James is very very hit or miss for me."

Thanks for the warning. I don't think I even knew this was a series. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale so that's why I downloaded this one. That and the fact that it was only $1.99. :)

Kay Dee Jennifer wrote: "I agree with Khan this book is wonderful Eloisa James best work so far !! but the other books suck (especially book 3 Oh God! how much I hated that book)"

they are on hold i can't wait to read them and see if they suck. :-)

message 42: by Skip*Beat (new) - added it

Skip*Beat Hahahaha! That's amazing that. I couldn't help but smile, chuckle and laugh as I read your review. Makes me want to give this book a shot.

Kacey Yes, HOUSE! He acts so much like him! Love it, bwaha.

Angela Yes! HOUSE! I'm only about a 1/4 of the way in, but he reminds me so much of House. LOL

Good thing I love House's sarcasm and nastiness.

message 45: by Mia (new) - added it

Mia Emslie I've never read a romance novel.. I'm one of those. But I just finished Paris in Love.. written by the author about the year she lived in Paris. She worked on beauty & the beast while there.
But, really, its because of your review.. I'm going to find that book and read my 1st romance novel!
Can't believe I just said that!

message 46: by Kisa (new)

Kisa Vesta I loved when piers and linnet finally had sex, it was touching.. I felt the passion..😊😊

Addie H He screams fix me....just catnip :D