What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Girls In Love
This topic is about Girls In Love
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Winter Group of Girlfriends One is a Figure Skater [s]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jess | 7 comments Looking for the name of a book I read in the 90's sometime. Set in the winter, a group of girl friends, 4 or 5. One of them is a competing figure skater. Either her costume or her main competitors has a tiny heart sown into her costumes as a signature. She has a tough coach and is struggling to find balance between personal life and skating. I think the cover was purple or lavender. Paperback.

Thank you!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Staying Balanced Staying Balanced (Michelle Kwan presents Skating Dreams, #2) by Nola Thacker , maybe? It was published in 2000, however. Was the book part of a series?

Jess | 7 comments Tab wrote: "Staying BalancedStaying Balanced (Michelle Kwan presents Skating Dreams, #2) by Nola Thacker, maybe? It was published in 2000, however. Was the book part of a series?"

No, I don't think it was part of a series. Thank you though!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
A guess - Skating Shoes by Noel Streatfeild? It has a number of different covers (one is purple/lavender) and was first published in 1951.

message 5: by Kris (last edited Nov 27, 2013 09:19AM) (new)

The Luckiest Girl in the World by Steven Levenkron?

Did the figure skater have a specific health condition like anorexia or depression, or family problems?

Jess | 7 comments Kris wrote: "The Luckiest Girl in the World by Steven Levenkron?

Did the figure skater have a specific health condition like anorexia or depression, or family problems?"

No. Her coach was a guy and he was married. I think one of them used to be an olympian? She was the only skater. Her friends did different things. I can't really remember if she struggled with anorexia, I know with most figure skaters she was worried about her weight/couldn't eat certain things.

message 7: by Railyn (new)

message 8: by Kris (new)

Following up on Railyn's suggestion of Friends Are Like That, here's how one reviewer on Amazon describes the book:

"This is a sweet little book about a young girl named Kristi who is a talented, determined skater. She lives with her mother, and her mother works hard to take care of them. Kristi barely affords to be able to skate so that she can practice for the championship. Will she win the championship?
She has competition - Sara. Sara can afford skate rental time, and can afford a coach. It looks like Sara has the advantage over Kristi. Will Sara be Kristi's friend and help her in any way she can?"

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Jess, are you still looking for this? Was it "Friends Are Like That?"

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess | 7 comments Hi everyone, still searching. Not any of these books. :( the girls are definitely older teens in the book. I want to say 16 to 18 years old.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilisipher) | 21 comments On the off chance that it was a series, could it be a book by Melissa Lowell? They might be a little too junior YA and multiple friends are figure skaters but they were published in the mid 90s.

message 12: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Do you remember anything about here other friends? Did they also ice skate?

message 13: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess | 7 comments Her friends were not ice-skaters. I think it was set in a winter/ski-like town.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 19 comments The description doesn't fit so I doubt it's this one, but a book that came to mind is The Silver Seven... cover's pink/purple! Set in a town in the depths of winter, but the main character moves there from a larger town - no pre-established group of friends, tough coach, or tiny hearts...

message 15: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Girls In Love Girls In Love by Cherie Bennett ?

I did a "search inside" on Amazon, and there was a small excerpt about a girl with a heart embroidered somewhere on her costume.

message 16: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess | 7 comments YES!!!!! GIRLS IN LOVE!!! That's it!!! You solved the mystery! Thank you SO MUCH!! Months of searching finally over. A big round of applause to Tab!

message 17: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess | 7 comments YES!!!!! GIRLS IN LOVE!!! That's it!!! You solved the mystery! Thank you SO MUCH!! Months of searching finally over. A big round of applause to Tab!

message 18: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments yay! Glad you found your book :)