Q2L 10 ELA discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
10B Weekly Discussion Threads > 10B Week 12 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David, Teacher (new)

David Patterson (MrPatterson) | 79 comments Mod
Sometimes the minor characters in a book are more interesting than the major characters (or at least the protagonist and the antagonist). Select a minor character from a book you're reading now, or a book you've read in the past.

What's the title of the book, and what's the minor character's name? Why is this minor character interesting? What is it that made this minor character memorable to you?

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles Raben | 28 comments The book I am reading is Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It. There really are no characters. It is a fact-based book. Similar to a thesis.

For the purpose of the question, I will refer to another book. The Alchemist. It is very hard to determine which is the minor character, as all the characters in the book contribute to the story. If I had to pick one, it would be the girl that Santiago, the main character meets in the desert. She mentioned only once or so. She is memorable because her presence is towards the end of the book. Santiago meets her when he crosses the desert on his way to find his treasure.

message 3: by Freddy (new)

Freddy Ventura | 13 comments The book i am reading is lebron james. i would say the minor charecters were his family he moved to . because if it wasnt for them letting him live with them he wouldnt have been noticed by scoutes making him a big all time player. when he lived with his mom he was unstabble moving from one place to another. then once he meet this family during a football game they cared him into his family making him one of them. he also visited his mother on the weekend but it was just best for him.

message 4: by Emmanuelthomas (new)

Emmanuelthomas | 18 comments In the book villan.net Basilisk who is really Jake Hunter the main character but from the future he had a metal hand and came back to the future to make his past self stronger so that he had someone to battle. From using the website Villan.net to gain super powers he had lost his hair and it was killing him a little in the process.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 21 comments In Out of My Mind, by Sharon M. Draper, the minor character is Connor, Melody's friend at her school, is interesting because he is intelligent and smart. He is also a good friend to Melody, protects her, and always says good things about her to others.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 7 comments The title of my book is called The Promise. The minor character is Cortland. Courtland is interested in a boy that she meet in the mall when she was picking out her outfit for her first day of school and she realizes that the boys sister is going to the same school as she is going to but once she meets the boy name Aidan reminds her of her ex boyfriend that she had reported to the cops for being with his aunt and getting her aunt pregnant and etc. Something that Courtland made it memorable is that she has gone through lots of things and that she is young and she doesn't want none of this stuff to ever happen again in the future of her boyfriends and doesn't want her family to be apart of her relationship, which is very understandable coming from a younger teenager like me.

message 7: by Omar (new)

Omar Tahirovic | 11 comments my minor character was coach Walski from the book Tangerine. Coach Walski is a like a back bone for the main character, Paul. when ever Paul needs adive or even if Paul did something bad in class Coach Walski is always there to talk to Paul. he reminds me of my soccer coach in my team because my coach is like a 2nd father to me. what ever i do wrong or good, hes always there to help me.

message 8: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas R. | 22 comments In my book "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" by Nagaru Tanigawa, the main characters are defiantly more interesting then the minor characters. I will say however that the minor character Taniguchi is worth mentioning. Taniguchi is the classmate and friend of our main character and narrator Kyon. He is the one who first gives Kyon some information on Haruhi Suzumiya as they went to the same Jr. High. While this information pales in comparison to what Kyon will learn later about the titular character, it does let him as well as the reader know more about her. It is also implied that Taniguchi was one of the many unfortunate souls to date Haruhi, and then be immediately dumped by her. While he doesn't do much in the story. He does have some funny moments in the book.

message 9: by Nuridin (new)

Nuridin Wilkerson | 10 comments In my book, i think that the minor character is not only more interesting than the main character, but i think that they play a bigger role in the book. The main character in my book is on a adventure to find the person who killed his father. The minor character Chris was shot in the head and he dosnt remember the face of the killer, but he only remembers the voice and characteristics. I think that this was the best part of the book because the whole time the main character thought that it was one person when it wasnt. Most of the things Chris was saying made since to him, and then he had a flash back of the crime and it turned out to be him.

message 10: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 9 comments A minor character in my book, "The Unwritten Rule" that I found memorable was the main character's (Sarah) mom. She was memorable because she was always cooking and asking Sarah for help in the kitchen. She and her daughter were very close, which reminded me of me and my mom.

message 11: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 20 comments In harry potter one minor character in this book is dursleys and these are harry s adoptive parents but are really his uncle aunt and there kid and there personality is unique because they tread him so messed up when everyone looks at him like he is really important also i think its funny to watch the dursleys get mad so i like it it gives the beginning to each book a spark.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.