What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Kit's Wilderness
This topic is about Kit's Wilderness
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Group of teenagers go into a mine/cave at night, strange things start to happen [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma | 10 comments I must have read this book about 10 yrs ago but I'm sure it had been out for a while before then. I think the main character was a boy who could draw and possibly painted a picture of cave paintings. One night he and some friends go in the town mine/cave. I don't know if they travel in time or 'things' come to life in the cave/mine but its an ordeal through the night. Then a big deal is made of them getting out of cave/mine and walking down the hill/road and maybe looking down at the houses.

Bits I think might have been in the book but not sure: He was maybe hearing 'caveman noises' possibly in his dreams. Possibly a group of boys with one girl. I'm not sure if there was a subplot about his grandad but I'm quite possibly making that bit up.

I hope this isn't completely made up or a couple of books mixed together (I would like to read it again).
Thank you for any help.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Nov 29, 2013 09:58AM) (new)

Kris | 34395 comments Mod
A long shot - John Midas in the Dreamtime by Patrick Skene Catling? John Midas in the Dreamtime by Patrick Skene Catling

Is this book written for children or teens?
In what country does the boy live?
Did the story start in modern times or the past?

Emma | 10 comments Sorry its not John Midas. I think its for teens. I want to say it was in the uk but cant be sure. I think it was modern times at the start. But I think it might be any time after WW2 (again I could be wrong)

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38240 comments Mod
Emma, are you still looking for this?

Emma | 10 comments Yes :-(

message 6: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1354 comments It kind of sounds like a movie that came out a few years ago. Only the kids had 'powers' when they came out... One could fly and I think made lightening storms etc (that kid was a little unstable).

Similar or way off track?

☯ DαякєηRнαℓ  ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜   (darkhearteternal) | 853 comments I agree with MJ. There were three guys. Two were cousins. They went into a cave at night, something happened. They saw something. The next day the area was cornered off by the government and they started getting powers and accompanying nose bleeds when the pushed them to far. They were somehow connected and knew when the other was in trouble. I think the main power though was telekinesis. In that lightning storm one boy dies. The other was indeed unstable, one of the cousins. His father was abusive and his mother terminally ill. She died and then he attacked his father, something happened and he ended up in the hospital were his father went after him for 'missing the death of his wife' but then he completely went off the rails, the guy I mean and seemed to be bursting with power. In the end his cousin had to kill him. It went all over the news and the movie ends with the last survivor in the snowy mountains with his deceased cousins' video camera which was heavily played on in the film, the whole film from the deranged cousins' video recording perspective. Or other news feeds. That was the movie's style. Anyhoot on the mountain he vows to find out what happened and stop it from happening again and then the movie ends. It was called Chronicle.

message 8: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1354 comments Lol, I couldn't remember the name and thought I'd have to hunt if it turned out to be the right story...

I've just looked at the TV guide, and what do you know, Chronicle is on tonight!

☯ DαякєηRнαℓ  ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜   (darkhearteternal) | 853 comments Hey I just found this thread again. Was it Chronicle or not Emma?

lol that's some freaky coincidence there MJ.

message 10: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 225 comments I borrowed that movie from my sister a couple months ago. I hadn't heard of it and I really liked it.

message 11: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma | 10 comments Hey, sorry nothing as exciting as that.

☯ DαякєηRнαℓ  ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜   (darkhearteternal) | 853 comments Ah shucks. Okay anyone else have any ideas then?

Or do you remember anything more then Emma?

message 13: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma | 10 comments I finally found it 'Kit's Wilderness' by David Almond. Thanks for your help it is a really good book so give it a go. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

John Midas in the Dreamtime (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patrick Skene Catling (other topics)