David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Shift (Shift, #1-3; Silo, #2)
This topic is about Shift
Buddy Reads! > Shift by Hugh Howey Buddy Read!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Zoe, Jeann and I are starting a buddy read of the second omnibus in Hugh Howey's Wool series on Thursday, November 28th! Everyone's welcome!

As usual, it's read at your own pace and use spoilers!! And most of all, HAVE FUN ;)

message 2: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I will try to join in, just have to finish Wool first!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 258 comments Sounds amazing! I'll pick it up soon, can't take my eyes off The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4) by Richelle Mead sitting on my desk lol

message 4: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Woot!

message 5: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Has anyone started this yet? I will finish up Wool today!

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Lol I was wondering when someone would post! I'm still working on Inkheart, so haven't started Shift yet. It's up next for me though!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
I just reread these not too long ago so I'll pop in and chat!

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Okay, I finished part 6, and am now 31% into the read. Overall, I didn't enjoy it as much as Wool (so far), but things picked up by the end of this story. The politics thing was a little strange and boring, but once things got going--wow!! I'm pretty sure that Anna (view spoiler)

message 9: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was also a little annoyed (view spoiler)

I liked Wool better too, but Shift explains it all with Dust really bringing it all together!

message 11: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Ahh, I'm not getting enough reading time to finish Inkheart! I really want to get to this one soon :)

message 12: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

No worries, David, I'm not going to be reading this fast, I have so many other books I need to get to as well :) I will be reading like a speed demon the next couple of weeks! One week till my read-a-thon! WOOT!

message 13: by Zoe (last edited Dec 01, 2013 09:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) I'm at 10%, but will probably be getting through this one slowly - I also need to reread Hunger Games and Catching Fire so I can go see the movie! I'm finding it much easier to get into Donald's sections than Troy's so far, but that will probably change once I get more used to the Troy sections. Also, I suspect that (view spoiler).

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Ahh, I'm behind! Should finish Inkheart today and then I'll start :)

message 15: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Are you enjoying Inkheart?

message 16: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

YES!! Inkheart was really good! I felt maybe it was a bit too long and descriptive, but I was pretty blown away by it :) I just finished, so I'm ready to join you guys on Shift!

message 17: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Dec 01, 2013 10:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Woot! I'm so happy you liked it. I agree somewhat on the longishness, but it was easy for me to get absorbed in that world, really the author could keep me there as long as she wanted :) The second book isn't quite as good, but I really LOVED the last book--for that one, most of it is inside the fantasy world itself.

Woot, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the first part of Shift. Its starts off slow, but really picks up by the end.

message 18: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Oh, it was definitely worth the read, I just thought as a middle grade it would be more like the length of The False Prince. But I definitely got lost a few times in the story!

message 19: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah I think of it more as a YA series than MG...seems a little more adult to me. I can never figure out why some things are labeled MG, they seem so much like YA..marketing thing I'm assuming!

message 20: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Yeah, I'm with you! I have trouble too, but I guess the lines get more and more blurred these days :)

message 21: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

11%! I have a pretty strong feeling that (view spoiler)

Jenny, I've actually found myself really engaged by the beginning. I think it's because I've really been itching to see the world before it became the way it was in Wool, so getting the Then and Now chapters is really working for me. But I definitely get how you think it started a bit slow...not much happens, it's more of a slow build up :)

message 22: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read through it pretty quick, but yeah, it was a pretty slow build up. But I loved the last half of that part, it gets really good and very intense! And we get to learn a lot more about the whole system. The world building is really well done in this series, I love that!

message 23: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

I knew it!!! My prediction was right! Done with the First Shift :) Really loved it!

message 24: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yup you were :) I really loved it, too!

I think Second Shift was my favorite of the 3 Shift novels! And you do realize you can count each part as a book read, right? Including Dust, you will have read 9 books! :-)

I read them all individually the first time through and then counted each omnibus as 1 the second time through.

message 26: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay, good to know Karen, I'm going to start Second Shift in a little bit!

message 27: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

LOL! I'm including them as 1 for each omnibus, but then I include all my novellas as 1 each, so it balances out :)

message 28: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

I've started Second Shift, but just barely. Really looking forward to seeing where this all goes!

message 29: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, I've just been doing the Omnibus as well, but I did that for all the Delirium stories. Its not like I need to really add books at this point, I made my yearly goal a long time ago!

message 30: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Ha! You definitely don't need the extra books, superstar!

message 31: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) Finished the first novella! I'm not sure how I feel about it yet - a lot of the origin stuff just didn't quite ring true for me, and the way the memory drug worked seemed implausible. The writing was good though - Hugh Howey has a very distinctive style.

message 32: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

But what about (view spoiler) I must say, things are getting even more interesting in Shift 2, hope you like it a little better Zoe!

I'm at 50% overall, which I'm assuming is about halfway through Shift 2 as well as the Omnibus (view spoiler)

message 33: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, David that was so so sad, I felt so bad for Donald!! I just finished Second Shift....it was crazy good, LOVED it! I'm 61% through the Omnibus right now!

THE ENDING OF SECOND SHIFT...OMG! (view spoiler)

Can you believe this world Hugh has created!!?? Scary, so scary. It makes you wonder if we'd just accept that life as the norm?

message 35: by Karen’s Library (last edited Dec 06, 2013 09:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keep going guys. I was very satisfied by the end of the series! ;-)

message 36: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

I KNOW!!! The world building in this is AMAZING, I have no trouble picturing any of it! The characters feel so real...I am really loving this series! I'm holding tight till the end!

message 37: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

SO GOOD!! I'm getting almost zero reading time right now as I'm struggling just to fit in writing time, but I'm up to 58% now on the Omnibus! When Donald (view spoiler)

message 38: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Dec 07, 2013 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

OMG YES!!! (view spoiler)

And David, you are almost done with Second Shift, the third novella starts at 61% in the omnibus!

David wrote: "SO GOOD!! I'm getting almost zero reading time right now as I'm struggling just to fit in writing time, but I'm up to 58% now on the Omnibus! When Donald went OUTSIDE, I was like AHHHHHHHH!!!! But..."

That part pretty much blew me away too, David.

message 40: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Ah you've got to be right, I'm surprised Donald didn't think of that actually. If he didn't die, I guess that means (view spoiler) Ooh cool, I'm ready for the Third Shift!

message 41: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Karen wrote: "David wrote: "SO GOOD!! I'm getting almost zero reading time right now as I'm struggling just to fit in writing time, but I'm up to 58% now on the Omnibus! When Donald went OUTSIDE, I was like AHH..."

Lol! It's such a fun read :)

message 42: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

It really is a fun read, hoping to read some more tonight yet!

Soooooo, have you ever built a Lego kit, like a scene from The Hobbit, or a Star Wars ship? (Yes, that's what I build with my grandson!) When you start out, there are tons and tons of little pieces. And then when you get into the middle, you start seeing it coming together, and then by the end, as you snap and click the pieces into place, the pieces literally click, snap, snap, and click into place. That's what happened for me with this series. Just click, click, snap... all the pieces fell right into place. ;-P

(Yes, I'm sure that's a terrible analogy, but my brain is tired!) hahahahh...

message 44: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

That's actually a really good analogy, Karen! Makes total sense! I never built from a Lego kit, by the way, I always did free form :) And I usually made really funky houses!

message 45: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) Gah, I'm so behind! I haven't started Second Shift yet - I'm trying to reread Catching Fire first so I can hopefully go see the movie sometime this week...

message 46: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Karen wrote: "Soooooo, have you ever built a Lego kit, like a scene from The Hobbit, or a Star Wars ship? (Yes, that's what I build with my grandson!) When you start out, there are tons and tons of little piece..."

I agree, that's a really GOOD analogy! I was watching a kid work on a Lego Star Wars set a week ago in Kuala Lumpur, and I couldn't help being jealous of him! I'd love to go back to my lego-building days!

message 47: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Zoe wrote: "Gah, I'm so behind! I haven't started Second Shift yet - I'm trying to reread Catching Fire first so I can hopefully go see the movie sometime this week..."

That's OK, Zoe! I haven't been reading anything but Shift and I'm still plodding along because I'm only getting in 30 minutes a day before bed. But it is SO GOOD! I'm obsessed with this book :)

message 48: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) David wrote: "Zoe wrote: "Gah, I'm so behind! I haven't started Second Shift yet - I'm trying to reread Catching Fire first so I can hopefully go see the movie sometime this week..."

That's OK, Zoe! I haven't b..."

Hugh Howey is such a good writer! It's tough going back and forth between this book and the Hunger Games series, because they're both so good and yet they're so different. It's more than a little jarring to go from Donald's voice to Katniss's voice or vice versa :P

Zoe wrote: "David wrote: "Zoe wrote: "Gah, I'm so behind! I haven't started Second Shift yet - I'm trying to reread Catching Fire first so I can hopefully go see the movie sometime this week..."

That's OK, Zo..."

Ohmygosh, Zoe! Two completely different voices and worlds! Both are such incredible stories too!

message 50: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

LOL that would definitely be weird! I can never seem to focus on more than one book at a time :)

« previous 1

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fiery Heart (other topics)
Dust (other topics)