Writer's Advice and Feedback Group discussion

Ask questions about writing > Write in third person past or first person present?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily I was wondering which do you recommend? I actually have three stories I have written both ways, yeah I'm crazy like that. Just wanted to see what others think.

message 2: by Liam (new)

Liam Sweeny (liamsweeny) | 6 comments I think that the idea you have starting out is going to be the best way to tell it. present gives it immediacy, where as past allows for the altering of time sequences, also POVs (though I've seen first person present POV switches, they can lead to confusion)

Just my 2 cents.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (anonymuscloud) | 14 comments In one of my stories I occasionally switch from 1st POV to 3rd, but the 3rd is in italics, so you an tell the difference.

message 4: by Lura (new)

Lura (luraj2612) | 113 comments In her Personal Demons trilogy, Lisa Desrochers writes in both first and third person. The sections written in the main POV (Frannie) are in first person. Those in other POVs are in third person. It works pretty well in her books. ^_^

I've attempted this in one of my stories, but I'm not sure it's working out so well...

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily I have read one dual POV romance where the guy was in third and the girl in first

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 150 comments So anyone know how would one switch over between the two???

message 7: by Lura (new)

Lura (luraj2612) | 113 comments In the books I mentioned, she puts the name of the POV character at the top of the section (or chapter) written in that person's POV.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily It was kinda confusing for me to follow and I know just from going from book to book in my writing and switching from first to third that it would be a challenge. To keep them straight while writing.

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice (alice20) It depends on the book. Like for a memoir or a book where you want the reader to feel more connected with the characters, use first. If you want to show the character' inner voice, use first.
I personally prefer writing in first because it's easier to reveal stuff about the characters. It actually makes me feel more sympathetic to the character because I feel like I'm personally looking at the story with the character's mindset.
Also, if you're planning on switching POVs and using the first person, be mindful of characters' voices. Sometimes I read a book with switching POVs and there is no contrast between the characters' voices, which makes it extremely confusing to read. So maybe in those cases, it would be best for the book to be in third person limited. Just my opinion.

message 10: by cindy ♡ (new)

cindy ♡ | 111 comments Mod
Personally, I like first POV present, just because you can see the world in someone else's eyes and think what they think. But it really depends on the book. Some books call for third POV! It really just depends :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Personal Demons (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lisa Desrochers (other topics)