Start by marking “Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)

Personal Demons

(Personal Demons #1)

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him.

What she doesn't know is that Luc
Published September 14th 2010 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Personal Demons, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Victoria Edwards Can you please mark this question as a spoiler?
Felicity I just finished it now
Realy good!!!!!…more
I just finished it now
Realy good!!!!!(less)

Start your review of Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
4.5 out of 5 stars

Dear Luc,
I wasn't supposed to fall for you. You see, you are everything I don't like. I mean let's start with the obvious, shall we Mr. Cain? You are a DEMON. And as a Mundie Mom I prefer my fictional boy interests to be more, you know, angelic?

But then I met you and things changed. I loved how Lisa switched between your point-of-view and Frannie's. I'm glad she didn't show your counterpart's, Gabe's. After all, he is the obvious Good Guy. I didn't want to know anything more ab
Tatiana
Aug 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of Evermore, Hush, Hush, Shiver, Beautiful Creatures, Fallen
Recommended to Tatiana by: Goodreads giveaway
Shelves: 2010, ya, romancelandia
First, I would like to thank Goodreads and the author of this novel - Lisa Desrochers - for awarding me an ARC of Personal Demons. I never win anything, so getting this giveaway was extremely exciting. As much as I am grateful, however, I can't bring myself to give the book a rave review.

I am always sad to see authors squander away their great story ideas. So is the case with Personal Demons. It has a great premise - a demon and an angel fighting for the soul of a seemingly ordinary girl. Imagin
Karen
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Nomes

Honestly, I found this novel just too tacky for my tastes.

A few quick thoughts ~ things that didn't work for me:

Frannie says she never swoons over guys and within the next two chapters all she's doing is swooning. Within the first few chapters four hot guys are falling all over Frannie. It made me feel sceptical and weary from the outset.

The alternating POV was quite unconvincing in Luc's chapters. It didn;t read like a male POV, much less one of a character who is meant to have lived
Kody Keplinger
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Whatever you do, don't lump PERSONAL DEMONS in with all the other paranoraml or urban fantasy love triangles out right now. Trust me, it's so, so much more.

PERSONAL DEMONS is clever, heartwrenching, fun, intriguing, intense, and sexy. Frannie is a well developed protagonist with flaws and feelings and a brain (thank God) and Luc is, by all means, both a love interest and a villain, who never crosses the line into "creepy" as so many characters like him could easily do.

I loved this book for its c
Krista (Miura Haruma-san, I will always miss you)
Is this book for real? Frannie is disgusting! Not only does she switch from Gabe to Luc every other minute, but she's also exremely selfish and shows no compassion or love for anyone, except her grandpa and her dead brother. She claims to love Luc, yet, after this absurd declaration, she proceeds to make out/cuddle with Gabe IN FRONT OF LUC! And, of course, vice versa, throughout the ENTIRE BOOK. And then, if Luc so much as GLANCES at another girl, she flips out of her mind and threatens to murd ...more
Courtney Allison Moulton
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I loved PERSONAL DEMONS! Frannie is a kind, smart girl who questions the world around her and made for a very interesting narrator. She really holds her own in a story filled with powerful, supernatural creatures. The other narrator... Oh my. Finally! A bad boy done RIGHT! Luc is sexy and written with a realistic male voice, and he and Frannie have so much depth to their characters. I was never bored once while reading this and only put it down once. The exciting overall story arc has me itching ...more
K.
A rant. Here we go:

Disappointing. I couldn't get past Chapter 15 (which is just a bit more than half way so I feel like I gave this a fair shot).

So.

The book advertises itself as a paranormal romance, a tug-of-war between Heaven and Hell, seductively represented by two obviously gorgeous guys called Gabe(riel) and Luc(ifer). Guess who's on what team! And that's exactly what you get. No more, no less.

Personal Demons is as narrow a book as I've ever come across. I was honestly gutted when by page
MissHavoc {Cry Havoc! Reviews}
Luc, so hot! I love a bad boy, but when that said bad boy is trying to redeem himself? Even hotter! Anyway, great new book about fighting one's destiny against the forces of Heaven and Hell.

Frannie is the black sheep in her very religious Catholic family. Never having recovered from a childhood accident, she blames herself for the life lost and finds Hell knocking on her door.

Enter Luc. Cool, swave, break-your neck kinda hot. He's out to tag Frannie for Hell, and he'll stop at nothing to claim h
Katerina  Kondrenko
1 out of 10

It had started as an okay book but was getting worse and worse with every page. My eyes were hurt, my brains could die if not Shadow and Bone's healing sessions. Maybe I'll tell you what this book was about later, just to save your time and nerves. Right now just believe me, you don't want to read this epitome of delusion.
Monica
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I was giddy with excitement as I started this book and I read it straight through in one sitting, ok, with a few random 'OMG' tweets between pages and chapters. This book definitely did not disappoint. I love most of all, since it seems to be becoming a pattern in book recently, that the ending did not have a cliff-hanger. There is definitely enough opening for a second novel but I wasn't left with that 'stolen puppy' feeling and my mouth hanging open.

I am unable to eloquently break this book do
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Review ComingPersonal Demons centres around Frannie (Mary Francis to be exact) & Lucifer Cain (Luc for short). Frannie’s family are heavy into religion, Frannie questions it after a loss.. so much so she gets thrown out of Catholic School in grade 7. Frannie is now 17 & when Luc enrolls in her High School she wants him. Luc wants Frannie to, but for a different reason.

Luc happens to work in Acquisitions for Hell & he has came to make Frannie’s soul for Hell as she has a unique ability & the King
Kendare Blake
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sympathy for the Devil? Not so much. But sympathy for a demon? Absolutely. In Personal Demons, Frannie, a world-toughened Catholic girl with faith problems winds up in the middle of a tug-of-war between heaven and hell, with an angel and a demon both fighting for her soul. Of course, they quickly find themselves fighting over more than that.

Luc (the demon) and Gabe (the angel) both make for intriguing leading men. In fact, some of the most riveting scenes in the book are the ones where the two a
Mary
Don't place this book in with the rash of paranormal romances directed at teens lately. This has everything and more than any adult novel out today has to offer. There is romance, tension and intrigue all with a PG rating. I think that the author had to work twice as hard to write this one since the story line didn't rely on sexual situations to get to the point. All I can say is that Frannie is one feisty character. She doesn't do what she is supposed to and doesn't act the way she should. She ...more
Andrea Cremer
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Desrochers' debut is fantastic, full of shivers, surprises, and sultry romance. You'll be laughing one moment and shrieking the next - such a great read!
Bookaholics
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers
Paranormal Romance - September 14th, 2010
4 ½ stars

This was a fun and exciting new series with darker tones about how one girl can change the fate of Heaven and Hell.

Frannie is a good Catholic girl. But she has a secret. She doesn’t believe in God. Ever since her brother died she knows he doesn’t exist. On a downward spiral Frannie is wondering if being a good girl is really worth it….

Dark, dangerous and sinfully delicious. Luc AKA Lucifer has come to Frannie’
Crystal
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, first-reads
Lisa
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I must say I have read alot of vampire and werewolf books, but angels and demons was new for me. I thought the book was very well written, with the expception of the overuse of 'cause, and this mostly bothered the English teacher in me! LOL

Personal Demons is about a high school girl, Frannie, and the struggles she faces while trying to overcoming the guilt she has from her past as well as being fought over by two very attractive males. Unbeknownst to her, the two very attractive males just happe
enqi ☁️✨
Love triangle? Check.
Mary Sue? Check.
Every single annoying YA trope? Check.

Personal Demons started out with lots of promise. The summary seemed promising. The cover looked promising. I've always been a fan of paranormal romance, so even the title was promising.

But boy, this book was such a letdown.

I was tugged on a rollercoaster when I read this book. I went into it with high hopes, but was slightly disappointed when it started to drag, extremely annoyed for a while because of the
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Quick & Dirty: Unfortunately, Personal Demons delivers unlikable and clichéd characters, which does nothing to help the formulaic and underdeveloped plot.

Opening Sentence: If there’s a Hell on Earth, it’s high school.

The Review:

Luc Cain is on a mission. Luc is a First Level, 7,000 year old demon sent from the underworld to tag Frannie Cavanaugh’s soul. Frannie, a “good” catholic girl is going through a rebellious phase, battling her “wicked” streak. She’s ripe for the picking. As events unfold,
Katie(babs)
Jul 15, 2010 added it
Shelves: dnf-award
Unfortunately I had to DNF Personal Demons. I found the writing a bit too ho-hum and the whole play on the angel and demon scenario wore thin very quickly. And when your main characters act more like immature kids better suited in grade school and not thousand plus year old supernatural creatures, along with a heroine who is considered to be a rebel on the sole basis of her thinking naughty thoughts, you can’t help but wonder what the author is trying to get across. This is a very tame, lacking ...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I stopped reading Personal Demons twice. In the beginning, it was full of your typical teenage drama- new hot guy, jealous best friend, newer hot guy, love triangle, raging hormones, etc. Even when you add in the part that the new hot guy is a demon, the newer hot guy is an angel and the potential love triangle has epic implications; I found the story boring. Because of my boredom with the book, I put it down twice and had no desire to continue to read it.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago. I
Maria
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
WOW! So much smexy hotness in one book, I’m surprised the book didn’t burst into flame!

Frannie is the "rebel" middle sister in a Catholic family. By rebel I mean, she doesn’t go to Catholic school (actually she was asked to leave) and she definitely doesn’t believe in God. After a tragic loss when she was a child, Frannie keeps everyone at a distance and doesn’t believe in love…until Luc Cain enrolls at Haden (Hades) High that is. Luc is as tempting as they come, and Frannie, well she can’t sta
Krista Ashe
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Carolina
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The subject matter alone should have been enough to dissuade me from taking this book, because I do not DO scary. But man, I love me a good bad boy story. And a demon? Talk about the ultimate bad boy. Plus, I have a particular fixation with angels (the other paranormal in PERSONAL DEMONS), so, I wasn’t NOT going to read it.

Still, I didn’t dive in. I waded, keeping my guard up. But before I knew it, I was sucked in anyway. The book simply devoured me. Quite easily. The writing, for one, is specta
Bailey (IB Book Blogging)
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Personal Demons was so unique and amazing. The idea behind the book was very original, with Heaven and Hell fighting for Frannie's special soul. Nothing in the story was predictable and I found myself gasping at new revelations and surprises!

Frannie was such a joy! I loved how she was the rebel in her goody-goody Catholic family. I found it extremely amusing that her and her sisters had the same first name, Mary. What kind of crazy parents would do this to their poor daughters?! Talk about confu
Midu Hadi
Lena ♫ ♪
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
For those who have ever asked the question "What do demons think about?", Personal Demons will answer it for you. It's sexy, fun, and creepy in all the right ways. There are 5 things I look for/need in a 5 star book:

-romance (check!)
-swoon worth guy (check!)
-drama (check/check!)
-keeps my interest/keeps me reading (check!)
-has me craving for more (check/check/check!)

I want the sequel, and this book hasn't even hit shelves yet!

*full review to come*
J.A. Saare
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book -- absolutely LOVED it. At first I was dissapointed that we never hear from Gabe (the narrative is 1st person through Luc and Frannie) but that is explained as the story progresses.

I can't wait for future installments in this series. Luc, hands down, stole my heart. He's hot, sexy, and dangerous as sin.
Crystal
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Why I read this: The cover, the blurb, availability through a tour site - made it a winner to me.

How is the novel driven: Character mainly - Frannie, Luc and Gabe are the stars of this book. Yes there are dark forces at work and mayhem to be found, but the true story is in the characters and whether it really is good versus evil and whether evil can change.

My thoughts: Okay I try to stay objective in my reviews and not sound like a raving fan girl or someone younger than myself, but I have to sa
LUC or GABE? 6 38 Nov 25, 2014 10:14AM

• Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Kissed by an Angel/The Power of Love/Soulmates (Kissed by an Angel, #1-3)
  • Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2)
  • Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
  • Intertwined (Intertwined, #1)
  • Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)
  • Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1)
  • Carrier of the Mark (Carrier, #1)
  • Touch (Denazen, #1)
  • Crave (The Clann, #1)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1; Nightshade World, #4)
  • Finale (Hush, Hush, #4)
  • My Blood Approves (My Blood Approves, #1)
  • Sweet Evil (Sweet, #1)
  • Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2)
  • Shadowland (The Immortals, #3)
Lisa Desrochers is the USA Today bestselling author of the A LITTLE TOO FAR series, courtesy of HarperCollins. Also in stores is her YA PERSONAL DEMONS trilogy (Macmillan). Look for her upcoming adult contemporary featuring hot Mafiosi, begining with OUTSIDE THE LINES , coming from Penguin in October 2015.

She lives in central California with her husband and two very busy daughters. Ther

Personal Demons (3 books)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)