Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Science Fiction > Classic SciFi with distopian/utopian themes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Figuhr (slfiguhr) | 41 comments HI!

I've been on a kick lately of re-reading old favorites such as BNW, 1984, Animal Farm, etc. It got me to thinking, what other classics are out there that are good? I've read Ray Bradbury and some Arthur C. Clarke.

I remember reading a few books back in my college days for an ethics class which had themes of utopia/distopia, but of course, I can't remember their names. I wish I had kept the textbook we used in that class, as that's where I found them. I've been on the hunt for these half-remembered books, but Googling with what I have is not fun. Talk about frustrating!

One book was about a commune where people rotated in their jobs, and they were big on recycling. The point of view was from outsiders who had stumbled across the community.

The other book I remember, had a museum where old pieces of our world were on display. I can recall reading about a steam train as one of them. The main character was on some walk, and stumbled across the city after crossing through mountains or some such thing.

If anyone recognizes these books from the pitiful little I remember, I would love to know what their titles are.

Either way, what are some other classics you enjoy?

message 2: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) | 362 comments Try Dhalgren Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany and for a fantasy that will make you want to shoot yourself in the head try Titus Groan (Gormenghast, #1) by Mervyn Peake Titus Groan

message 3: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Figuhr (slfiguhr) | 41 comments Cool, thank you. I will have to check them both out.

message 4: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Wait, what? 'Dahlgren', here's the Goodreads blurb

In Dhalgren, perhaps one of the most profound and bestselling science fiction novels of all time, Samuel R. Delany has produced a novel "to stand with the best American fiction of the 1970s" (Jonathan Lethem).

Come on now. That's just gushing.

OP: for Gormenghast, choose this volume as its a trilogy and all three books are contained in one edition.

The Gormenghast Novels (Gormenghast, #1-3) by Mervyn Peake

It is most certainly not anything to cause pain or despair in the reader. I don't know why Stan would insinuate something like that. Goemenghast is a treasure of the English language. A genuine classic, on par with anything by Tolkien.

Here's a bunch of dystopic and post-apocalyptic books in this Listopia list:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 5: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Figuhr (slfiguhr) | 41 comments Thanks! There are a lot on there that I've never heard of. Will definitely have to add them and read.