The Challenge Factory discussion

♦Finish What You Started♦ > Finish What You Started Challenge (Closing Out Series)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 330 (330 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Dec 19, 2013 08:36PM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16184 comments Mod
FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED CHALLENGE:

*Inspired by Pat*
 photo 6fb4af30-94a5-4dc6-a8cf-af1b21d3c529_zpsdcfd6b2a.jpg

This is a year challenge for those readers who have many open series and want to get current on those series.
It's similar to the Dusty Bookshelf Challenge, but this is for series. You can use the same books/series in both challenges. It serves the same purpose---getting rid of forgotten books on our shelves.

Currently, I have 67 open series (series where I have read at least one book, but have not read up to the most current publication of that particular series). I want to challenge myself to close out 30 series in 2014.

How It Will Work:

1) Each participant will set a goal of how many series to completely finish up to the most current book released in that series.
2) Every month, we will post a list of 5 series that we need to get current on.
3) An assigned person will pick one series from your post series.
4) You have one month to try to read as many books in that series as you can—minimum two books in that series.
5) Next month, a new assigned person will pick from your list for you to catch up on. Your new assigned person may choose the same series you read the previous month, or they may pick a new series on your list, it’s up to them.
6) Once a series is completed, you will replaced that completed series with a new open series in your list. So you will always have a list of 5 series to be chosen from.
7) 3 times of not posting shelf and picking for your pairs will result in your deletion from the challenge. It's unfair for the other players to be without their picks.

**Everyone will have a folder to put their finished lists (and books). We will keep a list of series completed to see how many series we can catch up on.

**When listing your series, please only list the books in the series you have NOT read yet.

**Novellas are optional.

Picking Pairs will be posted shortly after sign-up is closed.

I would like people to have time to hit the library before Dec. 1st

message 2: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited May 06, 2015 11:48AM) (new)

On this Thread, we will set our goals. Every month, we list our shelves on the monthly thread.

Example: See Ezi's list for Jan 2014
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Participants
Pat
Ezinwanyi
Paris
Jenne
Melissa
Sue
Debbie
Mary~Harry Dresden's Love Slave
Gea
Denise
Joeera
Jennifer J.
Elishia
Melissa (ladybug)
Rachael
Samantha
Komal
Tea
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin
Nell
Zuzana
Jodi
Jennifer C.
Shieka (Doctor's Notes)
Nika (Oh My Shelves)
Kat
Allison
Mandy
Turtlecollector
Sandy
Logan
Dawn Kat-n-Hat
Karla
Alexa
Marla
Vicky
Karen
Ab2y
Sheila
❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Malkom Slaineღ♥ღ
Bouchra
Becca-Rawr
Mikayla
Trea
Kay

unsure
Brittany
Carrie
Danie
Jennifer
Kristin
Laura
Megan (Doctor Who)
Sanz
Zeee (I Heart Romance)

message 3: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Nov 24, 2013 06:17PM) (new)

Picking Order: *selected using Randomizer

Starting Jan 2014: Each person must have already post their 5 series before I enter them in the randomizer. Thank you for understanding:D

Samantha picks for Jennifer
Jennifer picks for Melissa Ladybug
Melissa ladybug picks for Vicky
Vicky picks for Joerra
Joerra picks for Elishia
Elishia picks for Paris
Paris picks for Brittany
Brittany picks for Sandy
Sandy picks for Carrie
Carrie picks for Gea
Gea picks for Sadrina
Sadrina picks for Nell
Nell picks for Mello
Mello picks for Jennifer J.
Jennifer J. picks for Jennifer C.
Jennifer C. picks for Jodi
Jodi picks for Debbie
Debbie picks for Ezinwanyi
Ezinwanyi picks for Pat
Pat picks for Komal
Komal picks for Allison
Allison picks for Rachael
Rachael picks for Laura
Laura picks for Melissa
Melissa picks for Kat
Kat picks for Sue
Sue picks for Mandy
Mandy picks for Denise
Denise picks for Turtlecollector
Turtlecollector picks for Logan
Logan picks for Mary: Harry Dresden’s Love Slave
Mary: Harry Dresden’s Love Slave picks for Nika (Oh My Shelves)
Nika (Oh My Shelves) picks for Danie
Danie picks for Tea
Tea picks for Zuzana
Zuzana picks for Jenne
Jenne picks for Shieka (Doctor’s Notes)
Shieka (Doctor’s Notes) picks for Zeee (I Heart Romance)
Zeee (I Heart Romance) picks for Samantha

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments I will challenge myself to 13 series in 2014.

message 5: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Sue wrote: "I will challenge myself to 13 series in 2014."

I was thinking 30 was bit on the overambitious side, huh?

message 6: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

when you decide what your 5 series will be, please post them on this thread:

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments Hmmmmm You read a lot 295 book so far this year. THAT is amazing.... I'm only at 215...lol

And if you can do that great....I was thinking 1 series a month,not sure you were starting it early in Dec or not...lol I would rather surpass my goal than feel discouraged cause I didn't make it....buut that is just me.....:)

message 8: by Gea (last edited Nov 22, 2013 09:36AM) (new)

Gea (gea89) | 824 comments This looks good I'm in :) And this is the first 2014 challenge I'm comitting to - first of many lol

message 9: by ~Melissa~ (last edited Nov 23, 2013 10:11AM) (new)

~Melissa~ | 5014 comments I'll figure out how many series I'm challenging myself to this weekend and re-post here

I'm going to challenge myself to finish 10 series.

message 10: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Sue wrote: "E are we starting in Dec or waiting till Jan?"

I meant to assign pickers in Dec and we wouldn't start reading until Jan 2014.
I don't want to overwhelm anyone this holiday season...unless you all want to start next month, we can!

I figured everyone can inventory their bookshelves so they can be ready for Jan 2014.

But since I am flexible, if majority wants to begin in Dec, I am open to it.

Dusty book shelf will begin in December though!

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments I'm for starting early...lol

I soooo know I will over-extend myself with yearly challenges ,so Gea you are not alone....lol

message 12: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 824 comments I'm fine with starting in December, I hate waiting too long for the challenge to start :/

Sue, it's good to know I'm in a good company :P

message 13: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t me too on a December start.

message 14: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t Pepper is so pleased to have even more people do his bidding.

message 15: by Mary C (last edited Nov 22, 2013 10:22AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 900 comments I'm in but don't know how many I want to finish yet. I need to peruse my Fictfact list and see what series I have on hand or can get easily from the library.

eta: I also vote for December start.

message 16: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ok Addicts--We can start in December:D

@Sue: I read about 22-27 books a month...but only one or two books per series because Ididn't want to get burned out. The bad thing was that I would forget some series and I didn't return to them.

@Gea & Mary: So happy to have you! I made a list of my open series.

message 17: by Joeera (new)

Joeera I'am in

message 18: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5374 comments Mod
I'll challenge myself to 25 series within the year. :)

Btw, what about if you only have 1 book left in a series? Does the assigned person pick an additional series, so you can read your required 2 or more books per month?

message 19: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 356 comments I'm in and will commit to 12 series for now but always hopeful for more.

message 20: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

JenniferJ wrote: "I'm in and will commit to 12 series for now but always hopeful for more."

you only gotta read at least 2 books (that month) from the series that gets picked for you. Don't forget to go over and post your shelf

message 21: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Nov 22, 2013 10:49AM) (new)

Denise wrote: "I'll challenge myself to 25 series within the year. :)

Btw, what about if you only have 1 book left in a series? Does the assigned person pick an additional series, so you can read your required 2..."

Joeera wrote: "I'am in"

Alright Joeera & Denise!

@Denise, I would only list series where you only got at least 2 book left.

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments E... I have a lot of 1 book left series is that ok?

message 23: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Sue wrote: "E... I have a lot of 1 book left series is that ok?"

we will make it work for you and Denise:D

message 24: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5374 comments Mod
Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "@Denise, I would only list series where you only got at least 2 book left."

Might happen anyway though if you keep each series on your list until you've finished it. ;)

message 25: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 900 comments I'm going to start off with finishing 10. I'm assuming if that goes well we can up our goal?

Also I know I put a series with just 1 book left, I will replace it.

message 26: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 1496 comments I will commit to 10 series for now just to play it safe. Dec. definitely works for me!

message 27: by Elishia (new)

Elishia Ok i'm in I have plenty to catch up on. I'll edit this post when I decide how many to commit to.

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments I will read 2 series to get my 2 book min , or read an extra in a big series...I got a few of the too.....:)
Thank you E :)

message 29: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 824 comments A question: the series we post for December stay on our to finish list until we complet them or we can post a new list each month?

message 30: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Hey Debbie & Elishia, don't forget to post your 5 series on this thread.

message 31: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Nov 22, 2013 11:32AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 160 comments I challenge myself to 10 :D A question though. Do the series need to be new or can we already have read some of them?

message 32: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Hmmm. I have a lot of trilogies that I have one book left in, will that count?

message 33: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 824 comments Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "I challenge myself to 10 :D A question though. Do the series need to be new or can we already have read some of them?"

The name of the challenge is Finish What You Started Challenge (Closing Series) so I would say that this is for series we already started

message 34: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Hi Melissa & Danie, I hope you will join us.

To answer your questions:
1) We are trying to finish up Series we have already started (read at least a novella or one book in the series).
2) I would really prefer series that have at least 2 books left in it, but if all you have are series with one book left, we will work it out.

message 35: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "Hi Melissa & Danie, I hope you will join us.

1) We are trying to finish up Series we have already started (read at least a novella or one book in the series).
2) I wou..."

I think most of mine are ones I only have one left. I've been working on catching up this year. I'll go through my series and see if I have any that will fit for this challenge. Otherwise I might just lurk the challenge, haha.

message 36: by Mary C (last edited Nov 22, 2013 12:07PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 900 comments Dumb question: Can we read books from a series we listed no one has picked it for us yet? (and then just remove them from our lists but not count them for this challenge?) If not then I need to remove the black dagger brotherhood because I have 2 of those built into another challenge involving connecting books rated 5 stars by friends.

message 37: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "I challenge myself to close out 30 series in 2014."

I'll see your 30 series and I'll raise you 5!
35 series by the end of 2014 bring it on!

message 38: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty I challenge myself to finish 5 series in 2014.

Question: Can a series that you own the first book but have not read count for this challenge?

message 39: by Komal (last edited Nov 22, 2013 12:30PM) (new)

Komal This challenge looks right up my alley. I'm in! A little confused but I think I'll figure that out.

Edit: I challenge myself to finish 7 series.

message 40: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Nov 22, 2013 12:28PM) (new)

★Rachael★ wrote: "Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "I challenge myself to close out 30 series in 2014."

I'll see your 30 series and I'll raise you 5!
35 series by the end of 2014 bring it on!"

I can't stand you!
I'll tell you what. I'll get to 35 before you do!
(why does she always test me?)

I am so glad you are joining us

message 41: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) Teeheehee!
You love it!

message 42: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Nov 22, 2013 12:49PM) (new)

Samantha wrote: "I challenge myself to finish 5 series in 2014.

Question: Can a series that you own the first book but have not read count for this challenge?"

Try to list series you have already started. i.e. read at least a novella or a full book in.

Welcome Samantha, Komal and Rachael!

message 43: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Dumb question: Can we read books from a series we listed no one has picked it for us yet? (and then just remove them from our lists but not count them for this challenge?) If not then I need to rem..."

yes. you can read from series on your list even if it is not the series that was chosen for you on that month. We want to get rid of our piles any way we can.

BDB is one of my favorite series so yes, you need to catch up in time for The King Wrath,son of Wrath...son of Wrath (LOL)

message 44: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Danie wrote: "Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "Hi Melissa & Danie, I hope you will join us.

1) We are trying to finish up Series we have already started (read at least a novella or ..."

I am sure you got some you can catch up on. So go hunting on your TBR piles so you can join us. But I am proud of you for being current. I hope to get better this year.

message 45: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 900 comments Oh good.

When are we picking?

message 46: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 513 comments Sign me up, I'll post a list number this weekend after I take a look at my current series.

I have a question too, so do we need to complete the series or get as far as we can bookwise? For example what if a series is 7 books long and we only have 4 or 5 books can we still use that series? So we might not finish it but we can catch up to the farthest point possible.

message 47: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

@Melissa (ladybug): I will send email you back tonight. I didn't forget!

message 48: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Nov 22, 2013 07:20PM) (new)

FYI: SIGN UP will be closed at SUNDAY 9am central.
Picking Pairs will be posted shortly after sign-up is closed.

I would like people to have time to hit the library before Dec. 1st

message 49: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Carrie wrote: "I have a question
1) what if a series is 7 books long and we only have 4 or 5 books can we still use that series?
2) what if a series is 7 books long and we only have 4 or 5 books can we still use that series? ..."

1) Yes, you can still use that series
2) No, you don't have to complete the series in that month. You only have to read at least 2 books in the series for the month it was picked for you. If you would like to read more, that is up to you.

the goal is to get current, so you should read as far as you can go (time permitting; real life permitting; library book being available etc).

But the goal is at least 2 books in that series!

message 50: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Welllll, that was depressing, haha, I'm nowhere near as caught up as I thought i was. Making a list of all the series I need to catch up on for another challenge, so I'll probably be doing this one as well.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7