Children's Books discussion

Authors/ Publishers/ Promotional > Rules for this folder and for self-promotion.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish, Newbery Club host (last edited Dec 14, 2019 01:50AM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6441 comments Mod
This is an experiment and is subject to change.

1. authors as readers are welcome to participate in all threads. We know we have some active members who also happen to be authors and they've been terrific about supporting the group vibe.

2. now those authors and all respectful new author members have a place to promote their books.

3. but this group is still meant to be strictly reader-focused. We won't tolerate people who spam, authors who fill members feeds, or promotions of books that are off-topic.

4. to the end of making sure that members don't get too many self-promotional messages, each author gets one thread and is allowed to post one message each quarter. So plan wisely, for example if you're going to publish another book soon or if you're going to be running a sale on your e-book.

EDIT: 5. authors may post their books to the group bookshelves. But to clarify, they must post to the 1. Read shelf, 2. author's corner shelf, and 3. any descriptive shelf that truly fits, for example 'mystery.' As always, abuses of the opportunity are subject to consequences.

EDIT: 6. authors are not to offer or request review exchanges.

EDIT: 7. authors are not to offer enticements to readers beyond a free copy of their book(s).

EDIT: 8. Bloggers and publishers may promote their creations in the same manner as authors. The name of your blog, or the name of your publishing company, may be substituted for 'title of book' in the rules and in your post.

EDIT: 9. Do not shelve (tag) your book as Picture-Book Club. That shelf is reserved for club reads, as explained below in the message post dated Sept. 12, 2016.

--------------------------------

EDIT: message 7, below, has instructions for creating your own thread in this folder right here, the one sometimes known as the Author's Corner folder. Note, only moderators can create the folders, but members can create threads.

EDIT: not a rule, but a tip - GoodReads does have an official group for authors here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6441 comments Mod
If you have questions or concerns, you may bring them up here or send me a PM.

If you're an author, go ahead and create your thread. Be sure to use the subject line and the 'this topic is about' feature to highlight yourself and your work.

Let's hope this is a win-win for everyone!

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda M. (haygram) Thanks for the advise. I'm trying to learn what you will and will not allow. I love to have children read real books. I'm always looking for books for my grandson the educate as well as entertain. I still like Where the Wild things are and read this one often.
I also go to early learning centers to read to the children. They just love to be read to and their questions are great.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I'm just another member, definitely not a mod, but what's important to me is that if any author or publisher promotes their own books, or has their fans promote them, that it's crucial they come in here not only to self-promote, because then it feels like spam and I pay no attention, but also it fully participate as a reading member, as a reader. Just my 2¢. I feel this way about every group that allows authors to post about their work. Please, please participate the way the rest of us do too, as avid readers of the genre.

message 5: by Manybooks (last edited Dec 15, 2013 12:14PM) (new)

Manybooks | 7675 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "I'm just another member, definitely not a mod, but what's important to me is that if any author or publisher promotes their own books, or has their fans promote them, that it's crucial they come in..."

Agree 100% with that. If an author only promotes his/her work (even in the acceptable folder) but does not in any other way participate in the group, then I will not likely pay much if any attention.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Tyrrell (karen_tyrrell) How and where do I create my own folder please ?

message 7: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 06, 2014 11:40AM) (new)

Karen wrote: "How and where do I create my own folder please ?"

Click on author's corner. You will see all the topics listed. At the top right hand corner there should be a different coloured icon labeled "new topic" Click on that and you should be able to create your own topic/folder (including adding a title). Hope that was relatively clear.

And perhaps as a quick suggestion to the moderators, perhaps how authors, publishers etc. can create their own topic folders should or could perhaps be explained a bit in the rules section (it's easy once you have figured out how, but not everyone is automatically a computer genius).

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda M. (haygram) I had this problem too and just don't use Good reads that much because of it.

message 9: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish, Newbery Club host (last edited Sep 06, 2014 06:28PM) (new)

New rule - added to the first post of this thread and detailed below:

Authors may (still) post their books to the group bookshelves. But to clarify, they must post to the 1. Read shelf, 2. author's corner shelf, and 3. any descriptive shelf that truly fits, for example 'mystery.' As always, abuses of the opportunity are subject to consequences.

Do not shelve your books as 'to-read' or 'currently-reading' because we need those exclusive shelves for group reads. If you have done so in the past, please note that your book may not be on our shelves at all and you may need to re-add it. (We just did a big clean-up and may have deleted some books that should not have been.)

Also, if you have listed book(s) on our Read shelf already, please go back to the bookshelves and edit your book's listing so that it is also on the new 'author's corner' shelf. I've done a few, but I'd really appreciate it if you do it yourself to save me some work.

Thank you again, all, for your patience as we try to connect books and readers in the most courteous way possible!

(Sept 6, minor edit for clarity)

message 10: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 160 comments Sounds awesome! Thanks Cheryl!

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric Thomasma (ericbt) | 15 comments Personally, I find Goodreads in general to be counter-intuitive, so I don't understand your references to the bookshelves. I posted all of my books in my author's corner thread. Is the author's corner bookshelf something different?

message 12: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 22 comments Every group has a right to make its own rules and I respect that right. What I will be saying next should not be treated as criticism of this group's decision to limit / discourage book promotions.

Mostly, all writers are readers; they love books. I do. But when I'm (and other writers also, I presume )promoting my book, I am not able to do any other reading. Not only reading, I need to put my life on hold, and focus on my book promotion. This is similar to the state of a non-writer member of the group who is rushing to meet deadlines in his office or targets in his business. There isn't time for anything else.

In any group, forum, etc. not every member is active in taking part in discussions. Many just follow discussions, which isn't a bad thing.

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda M. (haygram) I'm with Gita. I love books and read every night before bed.but I'm also a writer and an author and don't have hours to spend reading. Just my little before bed time. I have to write and market my work, often spending many hours a day sitting at the computer or contacting people. I'm constantly promoting my work.
Goodreads is a wonderful if you have time to read a lot of books and like to discuss and talk about them.
I do read the discussions a bit but prefer to check out the give a ways.

Eric, you're fine. The bookshelves are, indeed, a separate thing from the discussions. You can click on the link to them if you look to the upper right of the page, under the thumbnail of our group photo.

Brenda, Gita, this group is for readers to discuss children's books that we're reading. If lurkers see it as a resource, that's fine, too. But it is not a promotional tool for authors. If that's the only thing that you're looking for, please look elsewhere. I assure you, the moderators are in agreement on this, and have no plans to change the focus.

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric Thomasma (ericbt) | 15 comments Thanks. I think I added them correctly.

message 16: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 22 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Eric, you're fine. The bookshelves are, indeed, a separate thing from the discussions. You can click on the link to them if you look to the upper right of the page, under the thumbnail of our gro..."

Cheryl, I don't want you to change your policy. Like I said, every group has a right to make their policies. My point is that if the writer-member is not a very active participant, don't suspect him. Please don't assume that he is in the group with some base motive, or he is a lurker ready to pounce :)

ok, thank you for clarifying, Gita :)

message 18: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5945 comments Mod
Thank you for the comments and seeking clarification. We certainly never want it to seem like an "us vs. them" situation :-)

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Eastman (goodreadscommichelleeastman) | 4 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "New rule - added to the first post of this thread and detailed below:

Authors may (still) post their books to the group bookshelves. But to clarify, they must post to the 1. Read shelf, 2. author..."

I apologize for not finding it, but where is the Author's Corner Folder? I am just getting the hang of Goodreads as an author, so I appreciate your help.

MIchelle

message 20: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 03, 2014 05:21PM) (new)

Michelle wrote: "I apologize for not finding it, but where is the Author's Corner Folder? I am just getting the hang of Goodreads as an author, so I appreciate your help."

Hi Michelle,
You've found it! You're here ;-) Just familiarize yourself with the rules outlined in the opening post of this thread and then feel welcome to create your own author thread. When you do so, just make sure that you select "Author's Corner" from the drop-down menu of folder options. (Or simply go to the top of this thread and click on "Author's Corner" and it will bring up all the threads in the folder. From there click on "New Topic" and there you go.) I hope this helps. And welcome!

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Eastman (goodreadscommichelleeastman) | 4 comments Kathryn wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I apologize for not finding it, but where is the Author's Corner Folder? I am just getting the hang of Goodreads as an author, so I appreciate your help."

Hi Michelle,
You've foun..."

Thank you! I am making my way one step at a time...thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "New rule - added to the first post of this thread and detailed below:

Authors may (still) post their books to the group bookshelves. But to clarify, they must post to the 1. Read shelf, 2. author..."

I tried to move the remaining books, and there are still a lot. Yay for the authors who read this post and moved their own - but the rest you, well, I'm sorry, but I'm very close to getting sufficiently frustrated to simply delete them from the group bookshelves altogether, Next time I'm in the mood to try to clean up, I might do so - so take this chance to move them yourself!

message 23: by Manybooks (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "New rule - added to the first post of this thread and detailed below:

Authors may (still) post their books to the group bookshelves. But to clarify, they must post to the ..."

I think you have been more than patient, Cheryl. Give the remaining authors until perhaps the middle of next week to move their books and then start deleting them. They have had more than a month to move their books!

The middle of next week, or whenever I get a chance, yes. It's just that I did say I'd move the books for them, and now I've decided not to. Again, thank you to those who did do so!

message 25: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for the post, Cheryl. Nice of you to give the notice. Though there are only so many hours in the day especially with moderator duties so I'm sure dedicated authors will not begrudge us that they have to do the task themselves.

Thank you.

message 27: by Manybooks (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Thanks for the post, Cheryl. Nice of you to give the notice. Though there are only so many hours in the day especially with moderator duties so I'm sure dedicated authors will not begrudge us that ..."

And if they do, that is their issue and not yours ...

message 28: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_riggle) | 93 comments Hi, Cheryl. Besides being a huge reader of children's books (especially picture books), I'm a new author. (A bit of a late-bloomer, I am. My kids all grew up before I got my book published.) I'm also new to doing author things on Goodreads. I've added my book to the bookshelves. Would you let me know if I put it anywhere I shouldn't? Thanks so much!

Also, when I was adding books, there was an option to add a new shelf. Isn't that something only moderators can do? Or could I do it? I'd love to see a shelf for multicultural/diverse books.

Thanks!

If the system lets you add a new shelf, and you run the title by me or Kathryn, go right ahead. I'm not overly fond of the word 'multicultural' but I believe it's pretty much industry standard, so it's fine with me to use that.

Thank you for checking!

message 30: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_riggle) | 93 comments Thank you, Cheryl! I've got another question, if you don't mind. In the unlikely event that other folks in this group should decide to discuss my book (I noticed there was a thread for Easter books, for example), am I correct to assume that I should not post on the thread, as long as my book was being discussed?

That's difficult. In general, no, our members wince at that.
If there's actually a full discussion going on, and you really want to say something, please don't hesitate to send me a PM and I'll be glad to consider giving you an exemption, or post on your behalf, or something.

But to just add your book to the Master List of themed books, no. GR readers are very sensitive to self-promotion, because some SPAs have been the rotten apple - and you don't want to share the barrel with them and be tainted by association.

message 32: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_riggle) | 93 comments What is the Master List of themed books? I'll want to be sure to avoid it.

Thanks so much!

Oh, I'm sorry. They are threads. The ones in the Picture-Book club folder are actually titled "Master List." The other ones I'm thinking of are when a member specifically asks, in the Themes etc. Folder, for books about a certain topic. Your thread about diversity (the one where I ranted about 'other/exotic') is a good example.

Please don't avoid them!
Just avoid mentioning your book(s) title anywhere but in your own personal thread here in the Author's Corner. You'll be fine.

Thanks for asking such good questions. I hope other respectful authors learn from our exchange! :)

New policy, am mentioning here and will add to intro. comment.

Please don't offer or request reviews swaps or exchanges with other authors. Because it's a "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" strategy, it's unethical. Reviews on GoodReads need to be trustworthy, which means they need to come from ordinary readers who are reading the book for pleasure.

Which reminds me of a second rule I had better implement. No giveaways of other enticements to read your book. I've seen, in other groups, drawings for prizes, eg 'write a review and you may win an iPad.' Not allowed here.

message 35: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:02AM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "New policy, am mentioning here and will add to intro. comment.

Please don't offer or request reviews swaps or exchanges with other authors. Because it's a "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yo..."

Thank you for adding these rules!!

message 36: by Denise (new)

Denise Gruzensky | 17 comments So I want to make sure I follow the rules, I love this book club and do not want to do anything to jeopardize my membership.
I think I understand, if I want to mention my book,I create a threat in this Author section.
If we are having a topic month and my book fits into the topic I should not mention it and if someone else does I should not comment. If there is something I'd like to say make sure I sent a PM to the moderator for review.
Is my understanding correct? Like I mentioned, I'm loving everything here and don't want to lose privileges or upset anyone.

That is correct.
It seems harsh that you cannot even mention your book when it fits the topic, but it's been proven necessary due to 'bad apples.' Do feel free to PM me (or another mod.) if you want us to add a mention of a book to a topic.

Thank you, and again, welcome! :)

message 38: by Neil (new)

Neil McFarlane (neilroymcfarlane) | 12 comments Cheryl wrote: "New policy, am mentioning here and will add to intro. comment.

Please don't offer or request reviews swaps or exchanges with other authors. Because it's a "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" strategy, it's unethical"

Hi Cheryl

I have taken part in review swaps and have offered 5-, 4-, 3- and 1-star reviews. I recently spent 5 hours reading another author's book and offered her 3 stars, after which she didn't bother to read my book in return. (I would call that unethical.)

Please don't tar everyone with the same brush. As far as I'm concerned, it's more ethical to offer an honest review in return rather than simply expect people to offer many hours of their time for free when they have no idea whether or not they will enjoy my book when they initially agree to review it. I don't see many employees offering their time for free, but no one calls them unethical.

Regards

Neil

This policy is not about individual authors.

In this group, we're readers, not employees.

We'll read your book if it appeals to us. We'll write a review if we're so moved.

That's all.

message 40: by Manybooks (new)

Cheryl wrote: "This policy is not about individual authors.

In this group, we're readers, not employees.

We'll read your book if it appeals to us. We'll write a review if we're so moved.

That's all."

If authors want to engage in this kind of behaviour, they can always create their own special groups for this (outside of this group). I would hate if review swaps and the like were ever permitted; this is a group for readers, not for authors (they can promote their books in the author section, but that is it).

message 41: by Neil (last edited Feb 13, 2015 03:15AM) (new)

Neil McFarlane (neilroymcfarlane) | 12 comments Cheryl/Gundula

You misunderstand me. I am not expecting you to change your policy. It's your group and you get to choose and that's quite right.

I was simply taking umbrage at being labeled unethical by someone who has never met me.

I repeat:

This policy is not about individual authors.

Review swaps are unethical, by their very nature, no matter the participants and no matter the results.

If you don't understand that, this group is not a good fit for you.

message 43: by Neil (new)

Neil McFarlane (neilroymcfarlane) | 12 comments Cheryl

Why do you repeat that this is not about individual authors? I haven't mentioned any individual author by name.

Also, if review swaps are done honestly with safeguards in place, why are they unethical? I'd be very grateful if you could explain.

Thank you.

message 44: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 15, 2015 05:55AM) (new)

Neil wrote: "Cheryl

Why do you repeat that this is not about individual authors? I haven't mentioned any individual author by name.

Also, if review swaps are done honestly with safeguards in place, why are th..."

Neil!

There might be nothing inherently wrong with authors swapping reviews, but it is against the rules for this specific group. It is the moderators who make up rules for their given groups, and that is the way things happen at GR (and I hope this remains the case). If you don't like the rules for this group, find another group (I am sure you will be able to find one that does not frown on authors swapping reviews).

Thank you.

message 45: by Neil (last edited Feb 15, 2015 02:02PM) (new)

Neil McFarlane (neilroymcfarlane) | 12 comments Gundula

Thanks for your reply. As I already stated, I have no problem with the rules of this group. I came here to read the rules to make sure I abide by them.

message 46: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish, Newbery Club host (last edited Feb 15, 2015 02:52PM) (new)

Neil wrote: "Cheryl/Gundula

You misunderstand me. I am not expecting you to change your policy. It's your group and you get to choose and that's quite right.

I was simply taking umbrage at being labeled unethical by someone who has never met me. ."

You named yourself as an individual author by making the above claim.

And I have explained the policy more than once.

:sigh:

message 47: by Neil (new)

Neil McFarlane (neilroymcfarlane) | 12 comments Cheryl

Re group policy, please see my comments above.

Re individuals, not sure how you can castigate an activity (review swapping) without an implied criticism of those individuals (myself included) who take part in that activity.

The only reason you gave for saying review swapping is unethical was that it's "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".

If two monkeys in the jungle scratch each other's backs, are they behaving unethically? Or a more pertinent example: J K Rowling's publishing company grants the N.Y. Times an exclusive interview. The N.Y. Times gets to sell more copies and J K Rowling gets valuable exposure and free advertising for her new book. What exactly is unethical about such mutual back scratching?

I assume that the reason you have expressed yourself in the way you have towards me is because you think of review exchanges as simply giving a 5-star review for a 5-star review. I would agree that that would be unethical as it ends up cheating customers into parting with their hard-earned money under false pretences.

But in case you or anyone else reading this would like to know how some authors go about exchanging reviews, here are three ways I do it:

* Someone asks me to do a swap. First thing I do is use the 'Look Inside' feature to read some of their book. If I don't like the look of it, I decline the swap. If I do agree to a swap, I always deliver any review to the author before posting it, in case they would prefer not to have it posted. These measures mean I'm free to give my honest opinion without any potential awkwardness. (I had some trouble early on and learned my lesson).

* I review a book for a website (such as KindleBookReview.net) and they organise someone to review my book in exchange.

* I review Author B, Author B reviews author C, Author C reviews my book.

If you or anyone else would like to explain the lack of ethics in the three examples above, feel free to educate me.

Neil

message 48: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 18, 2015 04:37AM) (new)

Neil wrote: "Cheryl

Re group policy, please see my comments above.

Re individuals, not sure how you can castigate an activity (review swapping) without an implied criticism of those individuals (myself includ..."

Why don't you just accept and follow group rules? Neil, you are precisely the kind of constantly argumentative author why this group used to have a "no author" promotion policy. When I read your comments and the fact that you seem unable to just leave things alone and accept our rules, I sometimes think we should return to this, but it would be unfair to those authors who, unlike you, follow the rules, accept the rules and don't argue forever and a day about the rules. If you cannot accept group rules, leave the group (I've done that myself with a number of groups I had joined, but I guess you just enjoy being problematic and wasting our time with your arguments). This group does not allow review swaps, just accept this, for goodness' sake!

To repeat: This is a group for readers, not authors.
I will block you and delete your messages if you continue to argue, Neil.

message 50: by Neil (last edited Feb 18, 2015 11:53AM) (new)

Neil McFarlane (neilroymcfarlane) | 12 comments Cheryl, Gundula

Perhaps I am an unpleasant, endlessly argumentative person who takes part in unethical activities. It's a distinct possibility, I suppose.

If my comments or tone have seemed in any way hostile, rude or patronising, or if they've broken any rules, I apologise unreservedly.

Best wishes

Neil

« previous 1