Vintage Tales discussion

Book Chat! > Are there any books on your Christmas List?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) I personally have been limited to 5 books this year (although I have got around that) and it's basically all I'm getting...

So, on my list are:
We
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler (this looks SO good!)
Foundation
Ivanhoe

and a 16-book Dickens Collection.

It arrived the other day, and was very, very heavy. Mum said that if she wanted, she'd wrap them individually so it looks like I have more presents. I might ask her to split them up a bit, so they're like in groups of 3 or something.

What's on your Christmas List?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I asked for a new bookshelf, haha. Since my parents didn't seem interested in having one sent here, I might have to order it myself and then act surprised. I can't remember what books I asked for, but my mom normally ignores that list and goes off and finds me several anthologies that she knows I won't have and sends those.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I would love to get The Stand or Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King since those two are my favorites of his books and I got a early Christmas gift today when this free comic I signed up for at the Nashville comic expo came in today called Star Punch girl and it was a pretty colorful comic. I need to send the author who sent it to me a thank you note soon. He's from Tennessee and did a great job on the book with whoever did the art for it. http://www.starpunchgirl.com is where you can see it at. I'd like to get a Barnes and nobel gift card so I can get whatever I want like a book, journal, or cds.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth So, I made a database that I plug book lists into and it's up to over 1000 entries..... I check off what I've read and have another form that will give me a random book from the database to read next. I like this better than the recommendations off of Goodreads because it's random and not guided by what I've already read.

Pretty much anything from that database would do me for all of my birthdays and Christmases to come. ^_^

message 5: by Connie (last edited Nov 24, 2013 08:03PM) (new)

Connie Cote I have put a Mitch Albom book on my list - The Timekeeper. Also, Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence and a book of craft ideas.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate I've made a pact with myself not to buy any more books until I've read most of those on my shelves now. I have about four times the number of books unread, than read. Oops! Although, I adding to my wish list quite regularly. LOL.

message 7: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 114 comments Kate wrote: "I've made a pact with myself not to buy any more books until I've read most of those on my shelves now. I have about four times the number of books unread, than read. Oops! Although, I adding to ..."

I've a pact with my huband not to buy any more books untill we move to our new flat and we see which al the thousands books we already have can find their proper place ...

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate LauraT wrote: "Kate wrote: "I've made a pact with myself not to buy any more books until I've read most of those on my shelves now. I have about four times the number of books unread, than read. Oops! Although,..."

Lol. Sounds like a good plan.

message 9: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 114 comments The problem is that we really have almost 6000 books, and I don't know if I'll manage to put everything in order!

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) If there is a spare room, you could make that your library LauraT if you have room for all of your books. :)

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate LauraT wrote: "The problem is that we really have almost 6000 books, and I don't know if I'll manage to put everything in order!"

Oh wow! You definitely beat me hands down. Amber's idea of a library sounds like a great idea!

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Thanks Kate! ^_^ Like LauraT can get bookshelves that she can build herself and have a library room for all her books and have a reading nook in there for her to sit and read.

message 13: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 114 comments Amber wrote: "If there is a spare room, you could make that your library LauraT if you have room for all of your books. :)"

I have a spare room/study, quite big but not as big as I need. Some of my books will go there, some others will have to stay in the living room. Some others in the childrens rooms. And I hope this way to set them all. Where to put the "new entries" is another matter ...

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Okay cool laurat. :-)

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Well, I guess I'll have to take this one off of my Christmas list....

http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-most-exp...

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Dang! who would pay $14 million for a book anyway? Not me. LOL. That's crazy.

message 17: by LauraT (last edited Nov 27, 2013 02:07AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 114 comments The most expensive book I own is an "aldina", a book printed by Aldo Manuzio - our most famous printer - in about 1540. But it doesn't cost more than 900 euros!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldus_Ma...

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) I have a beautiful book on my Christmas wish list and it will look gorgeous alongside my copy of A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings it is my favorite book ever A Tale of Two Cities Fingers crossed Santa is kind to me this yea. :)

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I got some barnes and noble gift cards for Christmas so I can get what I want with it. :)