Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Help with small countries, please!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (last edited Nov 21, 2013 06:33AM) (new)

Alice | 462 comments Hello fellow travelers -
There are a few countries I'm really finding difficult to find a book that I want to read. I don't like CIA-style mysteries or hot & steamy romance (in my opinion they usually give little insight into the country). Here's my HELP! list:
Aruba
Bermuda
Cape Verde
Cayman Islands
Faeroe Islands
Luxembourg
Saba (dutch caribbean)
St. Barts
St. Eustatius
St. Kitts & Nevis
St. Vincent & Grenadines
San Marino
Sao Tome & Principe
Turks & Caicos

Help please!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 504 comments Hello! I need help with those countries too... I can't wait to see what others in the group come up with.

For Sao Tome & Principe: Equator? Mixed reviews though.

message 3: by Rina (new)

Rina | 2 comments I only know for Faeroe Islands: Far Afield
Hope I helped!

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice | 462 comments Jessica wrote: "Hello! I need help with those countries too... I can't wait to see what others in the group come up with.

For Sao Tome & Principe: Equator? Mixed reviews though."

Hi Jessica, Thanks for the idea - the reviews are mixed, but it's hard to know why since many are in other languages. I'll add it to my list.

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice | 462 comments Natasha wrote: "I only know for Faeroe Islands: Far Afield
Hope I helped!"

Hi Natasha - Yes, this helps. It not only looks good, but it's at my local library! Yea!

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 87 comments Luxembourg The Expats by Chris Pavone . It's a mystery thriller.....plus can't remember which one, but one of the early Grisham legal novels is set in the Caymans.

message 7: by Alice (last edited Nov 22, 2013 06:42AM) (new)

Alice | 462 comments Ian wrote: "Luxembourg The Expats by Chris Pavone. It's a mystery thriller.....plus can't remember which one, but one of the early Grisham legal novels is set in the Caymans."

Hi Ian, I've been avoiding putting this on my to-read list because I was afraid it wouldn't have much to do with the country, same with Grisham. Please let me know if I'm wrong. In the meantime, I'll keep both of them in my back pocket. Thanks!

P.S. Just googled - The Firm is the Grisham with a Cayman connection.

message 8: by Coqueline (new)

Coqueline | 13 comments Alice wrote: "Saba (dutch caribbean)"

Just to point out, Saba is not a country of its own, it's a municipality of the Netherlands. It can be compared to how Hawaii is not a country, but part of the US.

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice | 462 comments Coqueline wrote: "Alice wrote: "Saba (dutch caribbean)"

Just to point out, Saba is not a country of its own, it's a municipality of the Netherlands. It can be compared to how Hawaii is not a country, but part of th..."

Thanks Coqueline - I've been pretty loose with my interpretation of country, I'm trying to include places that are culturally different from each other - so I'm including Tibet, Easter Island, Guernsey, etc. as 'countries' even though I know they're not. I think Saba is culturally distinct enough from the Netherlands to count. By the way, there's a really funny video about the different lands that make up the Netherlands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUP....

message 10: by Lynn G. (last edited Nov 22, 2013 10:54AM) (new)

Lynn G. Alice, I loved the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUP. I didn't know whether to laugh out load or take notes for an exam! I did learn something, though :0)

Thanks for making my day!

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice | 462 comments Lynn G. wrote: "Alice, I loved the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUP. I didn't know whether to laugh out load or take notes for an exam! I did learn something, though :0)

Thanks for making my day!"

you're welcome - I loved it too!

message 12: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12904 comments Alice wrote: "Hello fellow travelers -
There are a few countries I'm really finding difficult to find a book that I want to read. I don't like CIA-style mysteries or hot & steamy romance (in my opinion they usu..."

Here are a few I have read that I can recommend that are relatively easy to find:

Bermuda: The History of Mary Prince. This is public domain and usually free in ebook format.
Cape Verde: The Last Will & Testament of Senhor da Silva Araújo
Faroe Islands: Barbara. I enjoyed this, but other people did not enjoy it as much as I did according to the reviews.
St. Eustatius: A Notable Occupation

message 13: by Alice (new)

Alice | 462 comments Diane wrote: "Alice wrote: "Hello fellow travelers -
There are a few countries I'm really finding difficult to find a book that I want to read. I don't like CIA-style mysteries or hot & steamy romance (in my op..."

Thanks Diane!