Start by marking “The Firm” as Want to Read:
The Firm

The Firm

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  513,593 ratings  ·  3,302 reviews
Mitch McDeere is young, intelligent and ambitious. When he gets a job with the law firm of Bendini, Lambert, & Locke it seems to be the path to money and power. But soon Mitch finds that the firm is listening to all his phone calls, and the FBI wants to speak to him. Money and power has a price, and it could be Mitch's life.
Paperback, Penguin Readers, 432 pages
Published February 15th 2000 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published February 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Firm, please sign up.
Lawrence Arnow They make movies & TV series out of junk but then they always have; these people in "power" have no common sense whatsoever, if they did they…moreThey make movies & TV series out of junk but then they always have; these people in "power" have no common sense whatsoever, if they did they would be actually doing "something" & producing something besides the garbage they deliver onto screens from books written by "famous" people like Sarah Palin, who head is filled with air, hot air.
(less)
Koleś Goodreads librarians wrote that it's "leveled adaptation for young readers". I was confused too... This it not the real "The Firm". This is real one:…moreGoodreads librarians wrote that it's "leveled adaptation for young readers". I was confused too... This it not the real "The Firm". This is real one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...(less)

AL Maturan
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the first novel I've read of John Grisham and it inspired some of the most important decisions of my life. It affected me so much that it irrevocable changed my life for all eternity. (I'm probably exaggerating but most of it's true.)

First of all, because of this book, I took up Accounting as my major in college. This book painted a very exciting picture of how an accountant's life could be very exciting. It showed how he could steal from the Mob and get away with it. Who wouldn't want
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this back when it was first released in 1991! At the time I was a teenager who was getting on a plane to visit relatives and I needed something to read to pass the time. THE FIRM distracted me the for the long plane trip.

Just recently I was at the used bookstore looking for a book for my teenage son to read while he is gone for the next 10 weeks working at a Boy Scout camp as a lifeguard. The series he is reading wasn't available so I started searching for an alternative. The only books
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Firm is very extreme and often unbelievable, but it's still a very well-written and gripping story nonetheless.
Chillu Annamalai
Jun 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, legal, thriller
Mitchell McDeere graduates from Harvard Law and is about to begin his career as a lawyer. Blessed with superhuman capabilities handed down generously by Mr.Grisham himself, Mitch finds no trouble in getting nailing three top job offers: two from from Wall Street, one from Memphis. Among other things, Mitch graduates with top honors, is among the top five in his class, was a quarterback at school, is an athlete (but his diet is mainly alcohol and cheeseburgers for the remainder of the novel), wor ...more
Alaina Patterson
Mar 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, i-own-this
This is quick, because I can't imagine anyone who has never read a Grisham novel/watched a 'film' adaptation of a Grisham novel/read a book review of a Grisham novel/watched that episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun all those years ago where the family goes into Witness Protection for some reason and they're all reading different Grisham novels, and when they realize the plot is exactly the same, they switch books and continue reading and sure enough, the plot is exactly the same. And yes, I've just ...more
Neja
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
This book is really interesting, well written and absolutely irresistible. I'm on a mission to read every book that Grisham wrote, because his books never disappoint me.
Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent read! suspenseful,entertaining,great plot twist,good character development and nice depth..recommend to all (paperback!)
Dana Ilie
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Am citit acearta carte in vacanta la tara cand eram adolescenta. Foarte bine scrisa si actiunea este bine gandita, te tine intr-un ritm alert si in suspans pana la ultima pagina.
Michael Finocchiaro
I have scant memories of this thriller that was quickly turned out as a movie by the Hollywood machine. I think it was entertaining and at the time a bit of a renegade book in the US which did not really have this kind of lawyer thriller fiction at the time if my memory serves (Law & Order was not yet on TV - lots of cop shows, not so many lawyer ones) so I have no idea now, 30 years later how interesting this book would be to re-read...
James Thane
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mitch McDeere is near the top of his Harvard Law School graduating class and can virtually have his pick of jobs with high-powered Wall Street firms. But at the last minute, he agrees to an interview with a small Memphis firm, Bendini, Lambert & Locke. The firm's search committee has carefully vetted Mitch and has selected him as their number one draft pick for the year. They bring Mitch and his wife Abby to visit Memphis and make him an offer that is too good to refuse.

Mitch accepts the off
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Grisham is an excellent writer who writes fantastic legal thrillers. This is one of the best I have read by him!
Emma
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this so much.
4 stars. ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Huda Aweys
Aug 25, 2013 is currently reading it
جون جريشام محامي و سياسي سابق ، و كاتب من اللي حققوا اعلى نسب مبيعات في التسعينات .. و مازالت كتبه بتحقق نسب مبيعات عالية للآن ..، جون تخصصه الأدبي هو (الدراما القانونية) ، و هو الشئ اللي جذبني اقرأله ، بعيدا عن ان موضوع القانون هو مجال دراستي :)) ، لأني ماباتعاملش مع الموضوع دا كحقيقة او واقع اوي الصراحة (و لو ان كتب زي دي بتثير شغفي من جديد بما درست و بتخليني ابص للموضوع من ناحية تانية اكثر جاذبية :) !) .. ، لكن ببساطة .. لأنه مجال جديد عليه الى حد ما في القراءة
...
عندما كنا في كلية الحقوق كان
Corey
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! That's all I can say about The Firm, I can't believe I didn't read it sooner, it's what I called a classic edge of your seat thriller, it was a lot better than the movie I thought, John Grisham does a great job explaining the legal system, this is my second book by Grisham and it certainly won't be my last. Anyone that's looking for a good legal thriller I recommend The Firm if you haven't read it already.
Arunkumar Mahadevan Pillai
Oct 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
The sole reason I started reading this book was that it was the only literature at hand at my new place. Can you say b-o-r-i-n-g?

Now I feel I have to slog through the remaining 100 pages or so of mindless 'furiously-paced thrills' just so that I can start on my new acquisitions (Bradbury, Pratchett, Adams, Lovecraft, Jordan, Eco ...)

Highly recommended for beginners and people who don't know what a good book really should be.

Update: I can't take it anymore. Dropped!
Alex
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Firm by John Grisham
The Firm by John Grisham will draw you into a situation where the choices you make not only affect you, but also the people who depend on you. When a young lawyer named Mitch McDeere has to choose between staying with a corrupt business or doing the right thing.The decisions that are made throughout the book are told by the lawyer Mitch.
The story is centered around Mitch McDeere. He finished 3rd in his class at Harvard Law School. All the top law firms are trying to get
Gary
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel although I don't think that the finale lived up to the excellent start. I have seen the film and for me it did edge the book.

The book flows in the usual Grisham style and is a very easy read. I love the way he writes and find that I nearly always finish them within 2 days.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I thought this was a poor book at best. Then I read this lovely headline today.

And the innocent friend?

It's a good thing he became an author. He would make a rather poor defense attorney.
Andre Gonzalez
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read in a while!
Riri
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I admit. I saw the film before I read the book. What do I think? Both are five stars. They are. But I judge them as separate works of art. Because they are. To the book:

Always loved me a good thriller. This has it all. Intrigue, suspense, passion, complexity, and plenty of twists.

As with all great old works, there are plenty of long reviews out there already. So I will keep this short. Exactly.
Hesamul Haque
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is always fun to read books where situations are so gripping that you don't feel like doing anything before knowing what's to happen next. With the protagonist, you too get galvanised and roused. The story is fantastic, the writing style is impressive, the characters are intriguing in a way you would want to know what their next move could be and everything comes with a price. My first book of John Grisham has impressed me much. If you are looking for an adventurous ride, I say you must take ...more
Stephen
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: legal
3.0 to 3.5 stars. My first Grisham novel, I thought this was a fun, fast read with a very interesting plot. Being an attorney (in fact reading this while I was a first year law student) I think both helped andhindered my enjoyment of the book. On the positive side, I really liked the setting and relate to Mitch. On the negative side, I was also able to see the "flaws" in some of the major plot points. However, overall I enjoyed it.
Jake
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: pulp
I felt dirty for enjoying this book, hence the three stars. You can't help but power through Grisham's story but it is just so incredibly mindless and over-the-top that I am almost certainly dumber for having read it.
If I remember correctly it was the poor character development that really pissed me off - the protagonist is superhuman in every way, it's as if Grisham has just selected Mitch's qualities from a moronically obvious list titled 'characteristics that will appeal to pulp corporate th
Salymar
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent legal thriller. One of John Grisham's best novels.

The story centers on a young intelligent lawyer, Mitch Mcderee who takes a job with a tremendous firm, having been seduced by their huge financial offerings.

After he was hired by `The Firm,' almost everything started great. The firm loves him very much that they even pay back all of his student loans and also furnished his new house in his beautiful new neighborhood because they said it is to make him feel at home. The lives of Mitc
Mike
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good early Grisham legal thriller. The Firm - you can get in, but not out. The offer to young Mitch by a Memphis law firm sounds too good to be true. The skeletons in the closet are plenty - and dangerous.

He and his young wife must become creative when squeezed between sinister forces and the government.
Gautam
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-read, thriller
A tactfully crafted novel that pumps adrenaline relentlessly. Tension rises with each page and Grisham managed ingeniously to keep the pace on a steady-rise basis. Although I found some cracks in the plot here and there,they are negligible comparing with the exhilaration it had given to me. One hell of a read. Good job Grisham.
3.8 stars on 5!
-gautam
Liz
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, never-again
It's very, um, thick. Full of detail. Like, so much detail that it's about a third of the way through before the plot actually really begins. Mitch was kinda flat, though. Everybody was treating him as though he was a much more rounded character than he really was.
I mean, I'm not complaining: John Grisham still managed to keep me reading, but maybe that was just because there were people conducting subterfuges.

Still, the lawyers not suspecting what was going on, when they had all the EVIDENCE in
Maythavee
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first John Grisham novel and it won’t be my last. I really enjoyed The Firm!

I didn’t know what I expected from this book when I first started it but I knew that something was fishy about the Bendini, Lambert and Locke firm. I mean, seriously they were just so creepy asking all those questions about family and stuff. For such an intelligent man, Mitch can be dumb and ignorant sometimes. I understand the need to be the best and to make loads of money but wow; he took the meaning of wo
Lynn
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Continuing my books-into-movies world tour 2012, I thought I would check out the book that brought John Grisham to the attention of the world. While I enjoyed the movie but can now see that much of the book's charm was not adequately translated to the screen. This was a terrific read from start to finish and Grisham knows how to keep a plot moving briskly. I really liked this one. More than I thought I would if I'm completely honest.
Sirpa
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
My first Grisham book I read. I was expecting my first child and my husband walked in. The characters were just figuring out how to escape the situation they were in without being caught... no spoilers here - I was SO in the book that when I came back to present, my legs were jelly! I honestly don't think I could have gotten up from my chair. '') This was a really good read. I enjoyed the suspense, and after reading this one, I have read most of John Grisham's books.
JOHN GRISHAM 5 34 Jan 20, 2018 10:41AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 3 16 Nov 13, 2017 10:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: Problem with book 2 23 Nov 24, 2016 04:10AM
Fictional Teen Book about Law/Spies 1 5 Nov 21, 2016 08:20AM
The Challenge Fac...: Monica and Robyn-Lee - The Firm 9 10 Aug 14, 2016 10:42PM
The Firm Review 1 16 May 22, 2016 08:51PM
  • Presumed Innocent (Kindle County, #1)
  • The General's Daughter
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1; Jack Ryan Universe, #2)
  • The List
  • Where Are the Children?
  • Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1)
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #15)
  • Secret Prey (Lucas Davenport, #9)
  • Disclosure
  • Divine Justice (Camel Club, #4)
  • The Day of the Jackal
  • Judge & Jury
Robin Anthony Herschel Waterfield was born in 1952 and studied Classics at the University of Manchester, specialising in ancient Greek Philosophy. He lectured at Newcastle University and St Andrews before joining Penguin books as an editor. Currently he is a self-employed author whose output includes books on the ancient world as well as Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks.
“Any lawyer worth his salt knew the first offer had to be rejected.” 15 likes
“[you’ll acquire] A certain amount of cynicism. This business works on you. When you were in law school you had some noble idea what a lawyer should be. A champion of individual rights; a defender of the Constitution; a guardian of the oppressed; an advocate for your client’s principles. Then after you practice for six months you realize you were nothing but hired guns. Mouthpieces for sale to the highest bidder, available to anybody, any crook, any sleazebag with enough money to pay your outrageous fees. Nothing shocks you. It’s supposed to be an honorable profession, but you’ll meet so many crooked lawyers you’ll want to quit and find an honest job. Yeah Mitch, you’ll get cynical. And it’s sad, really.” 13 likes