Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Where the Heart Leads (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #1)
This topic is about Where the Heart Leads
Archived: Series Reads > Where the Heart Leads (A Cysnter Novel) by Stephanie Laurens (Start Date: December 9, 2013)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Dec 08, 2013 09:55AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

An intriguing man

Handsome, enigmatic, and deliciously dangerous, Barnaby Adair has made his name by solving crimes within the ton. When Penelope Ashford appeals for his aid, he is moved by her plight—and captivated by her lush beauty.

An undaunted woman

More than a pretty face in a satin gown, Penelope has devoted her will and intelligence to caring for London's orphans. But now her charges are disappearing. She turns to Adair for help, never dreaming she'll discover in him a man who matches her appetite for life and passion.

Where the heart leads

As Barnaby and Penelope unravel the mystery of the missing children, they uncover a shocking trail that leads to the upper echelons of society, and a ruthless criminal who is ready to destroy all they hold dear, including their newfound understanding of the irresistible intrigues of the heart.

♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥♡♡♥

We will be continuing the Cynster series in chronological order in November. Date as yet to be determine.

Please join us.

Expect Spoilers!

Participants
ShoSho
Kit★
Lisa Kay
Lauren
Susan

Chapter Breakdown
Date		Chapters	PPDQs*
Dec. 9th Chp.01-07 Susan
Dec. 10th Chp.08-14 Lisa Kay
Dec. 11th Chp.15-Epilogue ??

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments When are we reading this?

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Yay Barnaby! I want him soon ;)

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Nov 20, 2013 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Kit★ wrote: "Yay Barnaby! I want him soon ;)"

Any preferences for the date ?

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Whenever is good for everyone else, my reading sched for next month is wide open. Early December rather than later? :)

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Susan ?Lisa Kay?

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Well, anytime is good. As long as it doesn't interfere with Harry or Christmas.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Do I have to have read the Cynster books in order to read this one?

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Nov 22, 2013 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I think not, Lauren. As long as you know they exist, they all resist love. And are rich, arrogant, dominant, and like to make love on daybeds, taking their lovers cum-to-be-wives (no matter how resisting) to a parallel universe previously unforeseen.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Lol! Thanks Lisa Kay. I like the sound of this one so I'll see if I can get it.

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments So, December 9th for this, since we are starting Harry December 2nd?

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "So, December 9th for this, since we are starting Harry December 2nd?"

Good for me

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I think not, Lauren. As long as you know they exist, they all resist love. And are rich, arrogant, dominant, and like to make love on daybeds, taking their lovers cum-to-be-wives (no matter how r..."

Lol perfect description!

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Dec 9th is cool with me :)

message 16: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm in for December 9!

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Cool!

message 18: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm starting this later this afternoon, after I grade papers. I'll do the first set of questions ch 1-7 :)

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great, Susan. I'll do the second set. Let me figure out the chapters.

message 20: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments All my papers are graded for the week! YAY ME! Now, some lunch, read a chapter or two, write lesson plans for the next two weeks and then read some more :)

message 21: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Is this a good, or do you want to go another day?

Chapter Breakdown
Date		Chapters	PPDQs*
Dec. 9th Chp.01-07 Susan
Dec. 10th Chp.08-14 Lisa Kay
Dec. 11th Chp.15-Epilogue ??

message 22: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments that's fine with me.

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yay! on the papers graded, Susan!

message 24: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll start tomorrow.

message 25: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Yay! on the papers graded, Susan!"

Yeah, I was a little bit behind on them. I even got them entered into the computer. I still haven't done lesson plans though LOL I have read 2 chapters of this, played on the computer quite a bit, wrapped some presents, and braved the pouring rain to go to the grocery store :)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I started at the laundromat this morning, made it to ch 3 I think. Liking it so far, intrigued by the orphan mystery :)

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll start in a minute

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sorry, I didn't get to this today. I had a friend over and we got up my Christmas Tree, planned the Christmas Eve menu, and I made her lunch. I feel like I got tons done, but no reading. I did finish a book last night that I have yet to post.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I haven't made anymore progress either. Was cleaning cupboards and windows at the new house today and put up some Christmas decor, then went to mom's for the evening. Might be able to read a bit farther tonight maybe, we'll see.

message 30: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments No problem, ladies. I'm posting first set of questions and I'm only on chapter 5. And I started early lol

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Huh! Am I the only one to finish the first part? I finished chapter 7 and the started another book: D

message 32: by June (new) - rated it 2 stars

June (ladyjune) | 315 comments I just started. I like Barnaby so far.

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I only got through the first three chapters, then I fell asleep. It is good, though.

message 34: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Ill have questions up after supper, but I just had to say that I LOVE Barnaby. The way he just rescued her in the ballroom with his "I'm desolated to cut short your time for interrogating Miss Ashford, old man, but the lady desires to waltz." :)

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments **giggles**

message 36: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I could totally hear that in a British accent LOL

message 37: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Susan's Questions for chapters 1-7

1. Penelope Ashford. She remembered Barnaby's hands and chooses not to shake his hand when they meet again. If someone made that much of an impression on me, I don't know that I would have stayed away for so long. What about you?

2. Is Barnaby living up to your expectations of him from our other times with him?

3. Penelope has TONS of suitors! Do you think she's a bit rude to them? Why do you think they keep coming back to her if she acts like that?

4. I have to say, I like Stoke's crush on "Grizzy-Girl" :)

5. 1/3 of the way into the book and not a kiss or shower of glory to be seen. Are you surprised? Are you relieved?

6. Any idea who Mr. Alert may be?

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Susan's Questions for chapters 1-7

1. Penelope Ashford. She remembered Barnaby's hands and chooses not to shake his hand when they meet again. If someone made that much of an impression on me, I don't know that I would have stayed away for so long. What about you?
No I wouldn't have.I was thinking 2 years is very long time for them not to see each other. with the way they are connected ,I would have thought they should have met more often

2. Is Barnaby living up to your expectations of him from our other times with him?
Yes , he hasn't gone caveman on her .Yet. I hope he doesn't ! He's been fun so far, one of the things I liked was that he was thinking his mother would laughing at him if she was there .

3. Penelope has TONS of suitors! Do you think she's a bit rude to them? Why do you think they keep coming back to her if she acts like that?
She was ,she only see them nuisance and I don't mind her being rude to them .it was funny .
They find her attractive because she is different

huh me too . do they get their HEA in this book or a book of their own?!

5. 1/3 of the way into the book and not a kiss or shower of glory to be seen. Are you surprised? Are you relieved?
I thought of that too but I'm absolutely happy with the pace so far.

Tristram Hellicar

message 39: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I don't know about Stokes. I hope he gets a book if he and Griselda don't end up together here.

message 40: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "I don't know about Stokes. I hope he gets a book if he and Griselda don't end up together here."

he has a novella
http://www.stephanielaurens.com/books...

message 41: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments ShoSho wrote: "Susan (susayq) wrote: "I don't know about Stokes. I hope he gets a book if he and Griselda don't end up together here."

he has a novella
http://www.stephanielaurens.com/books......"

At least we know Stokes gets his girl :)

message 43: by June (new) - rated it 2 stars

June (ladyjune) | 315 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Susan (susayq) wrote: "I don't know about Stokes. I hope he gets a book if he and Griselda don't end up together here."

he has a novella
http://www.stephanielaurens.com/books...-..."

Aww but I want he with Griselda. I think I like Griselda better than Penelope

message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments June wrote: "Aww but I want he with Griselda. I think I like Griselda better than Penelope "

HUH? you want Barnaby with Griselda?????

message 45: by June (new) - rated it 2 stars

June (ladyjune) | 315 comments June's Answers to Susan's Qs for chapters 1-7

Talk about first impression last forever, LoL. I think I find a pattern in Cynster heroines, its either they desperately searching for the perfect man or they don't want anything to do with man at all. Penelope fell in latter category

He's okay, but I want HIM to do more investigating than let Penolope led him arround. Who is actually the investigator here?

She's aloof yes, but since her suitor sound to be snobbish lot, I can understand her impatience with them.

Yes me too. I really like Grizzy-girl, too :)

Relieved,LOL. If they kissed, I'm afraid their romance would took aver the book, and we couldn't get to missing children plot:D

No

message 46: by June (new) - rated it 2 stars

June (ladyjune) | 315 comments ShoSho wrote: "June wrote: "Aww but I want he with Griselda. I think I like Griselda better than Penelope "

HUH? you want Barnaby with Griselda?????"

No I meant her and Stoke. I'm more invested in Stoke and Grizzly-girl romance than Penlope/Barnaby. Penelope is okay, but I find her to be haughty and bossy, she's not someone that I like to hang out with :D

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Kit's Answers to Susan's Questions for chapters 1-7

I thought it was funny how they both remembered their previous touch. I don't know how I would've felt, lol.

So far, yes. I like how he knows he has no chance of telling Pen what to do, so he doesn't even try to commandeer her.

I was surprised by how rude she was. Certainly that sort of behavior would've been frowned upon by polite society back then I would think. Being so rude as to directly tell someone to 'go away'. I don't know why they keep coming back, maybe they like the challenge?

Yea, I'm really liking Stokes. His blushing when he mentioned her was cute. I dunno, I'm kinda thinking they steal the show a little for me. I find myself more attracted to Stokes than Barnaby. Like the girls about equal so far, though I do like how Gris is nowhere near as pushy as Pen.

Yes, surprised, and yes, majorly relieved. SL's writing shines when it's kept to the plot and the ball stays rolling. All the magical purple stuff only slows it down. I'm really into the mystery, and I like how their relationship is going slow and not the main focus.

No idea, though Hellicar is as good a suspect as any.

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Susan’s Questions & Lisa Kay’s Answers for Chapters 1-7

She’s wary of love and marriage – and cautious of revealing her “affliction” by keeping away from this particular man. She thinks she’s kept it from him, but she hasn’t. Of course, he’s wary in his way, too.

Yes, love Barnaby. He is letting Penelope take the lead a bit. But I imagine it is like he is treating her like he would a spirited horse, and giving her her “head.” He is a bit different than the Cynsters. He’s nicer and not as arrogant. He’s more cerebral.

LOL! Yes, she’s rude! And it is still not working. They are either masochists or they like that she is different. I did like how Barnaby got rid of the “spy” Rigby. LOL!

Yes, love Inspector Basil Stokes of Scotland Yard. And I like Griselda, and they she worked her way out of the East End; impressive. I don’t like the nickname “Grizzy-Girl,” though; too reminiscent of a grizzly bear for me. Though, I like her father and that Stokes made him feel important.

It does. There is a lot of focus on hands, don’t you think? I like hands; they can be quite sensual. But, there is a lot attention given to them as a means of communicating between potential lovers.

I don’t know, but I think he is a gentleman; although, not one of the ton. He knows the “merchandise” he wants. I don’t think he’s as clever as he thinks. He is in rather deep to someone, probably due to poker or some other type of gambling. We have yet to see how evil he is.

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ ShoSho

#1 – Given the same circle they’re both within, yes, two years is a long time.

#2 – LOL! “Caveman”! I love it. Yes, his thinking of his mum was funny.

#5 – I’m happy with the pace, too. ☺

#6 – Really?!!!

message 50: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ June

#1 – Good point, June. What about those women in between?

#2 – LMBO!

#3 – You’re making me giggle.

#4 – Still giggling.

« previous 1 3