Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals Rules for Radicals discussion

War on the Middle Class

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

TheAccidental  Reader Any book beginning with the author quoting himself, and praising the devil is worth taking a look at, particularly when that book has informed the career and ideology of the President of the United States. Though this book is really very disturbing, it does let us in on the secret of where Obama is driving this country.

As Alinsky points out, to organize a community, you first must destroy it. I am not seeing anything in this book which shows me that Alinsky finds much value in America the way it is currently structured. No, the USA has to be torn down and we must start again. Alinsky is obviously ignorant of the fact that because of our Constitution, which still protects some of our individual freedoms, ours is the society in the world where the lowest number of people and families find themselves trapped in the lower classes. We have more class mobility here than anywhere! And we enjoy the most personal freedom and ability to move about from class to class through things like hard work and merit.

Since he does not know this, he shows us how to devise tactics we are supposed to use in order to destroy our freedoms and the fluid class structure we have.

I don't feel I completely understood Obama until I read this book. "Between the Haves and the Have-Nots are the Have-a-Little, Want Mores--the Middle Class". The Middle Class, says Alinksy, is where all the power lies. And the Middle Class has to be destroyed in order to bring the world to a better place.

But Obama is very polished and has learned his Alinksy lessons well: Don't show anger. Be very calm. "Tactics must begin within the experience of the middle class (the class you are trying to destroy), accepting their aversion to rudeness, vulgarity, conflict. DON'T SCARE THEM OFF." (Parenthetical information mine)

So we can't learn much about Obama's plan from Obama. We must look to Biden, who lets a little more of this slip. As Alinsky says: There never was a VP who didn't either faithfully serve as his superior's faithful sounding board, or else be silent" And we know that Biden can't be silent, so I pay careful attention to whatever the VP says. He shows us more of the truth of Obama's actual plans, than Obama ever will.

Alinksy finishes by telling us that "The corporations must forget their "nonsense" about private sectors." And we know that Obama thinks very highly of Alinsky, his tactics and his ideology. So when Obama says he believes in and wants to support the private sector, there is really no reason for us to believe that. The idea is to remove the middle class, the lower class, and the upper class, and to replace all of this with very wise government leaders and bureaucrats who will take care of everything for the rest of us, who will all live in equality of misery and poverty. I am looking at the likes of Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi and Chris Dodd and I am not too impressed with this plan of action.

Larry Bassett Since no one has taken the bait in 2+ years, I will also try to resist. Only to say that it is a shame that we only have two major parties in the U.S.

Dave Burns A few things surprised me about this book.

Alinsky goes on at length about how the ends justify the means. Even if I swallowed that whole, it seems to raise questions that he never addresses, particularly about transparency.

Alinsky dismissed ideology and insisted that the goals of the organization should come from the group being organized, and not from him.

As opposed to the previous commenter, I find it surprising the degree to which OWS and the Obama administration ignore Alinsky's tactical advice. They use tired old approaches, let things drag on, have no specific target or goal. Obama seems fine with old fashioned pork barrels and log rolling.