Modern Fantasy Readers and Writers discussion

First Book: Mistborn > Section Five Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 55 comments Mod
[Plot:] The executions and the witnessing by the crew of the executions was a grisly scene. Why do you think Sanderson Added it?

[Character:] Kliss is a minor character in the overall span of the book. What do you think of Sanderson's handling of her when she reveals the assassination plot against Elend and the people behind the plotting?

[Plot:] The major twist was the sacrifice of Kelsier and his "rebirth". Did you see it coming? Did you have enough foreshadowing that it was believable? What was your overall impression of the event?

[Plotting:] I have heard both good an bad feedback on the book. It left me questioning why I liked it so much. The answer for me, was the pacing of the story. Did you find the building of tension and development of the plot to pull you along? Or did it leave you behind? What do you think of the overall pacing of the book?

[Wrap-Up:] What were your overall impressions of the book?
Of Sanderson?
Will you read the rest of the series? Why or why not?

message 2: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) The executions and the witnessing by the crew of the executions was a grisly scene. Why do you think Sanderson Added it?

I think this scene was here in order to keep the plot grounded. Otherwise it seemed like Lord Ruler had no real power. But when you see him organize mass deaths of people not even involved, then he really seems liek a villain.

[Character:] Kliss is a minor character in the overall span of the book. What do you think of Sanderson's handling of her when she reveals the assassination plot against Elend and the people behind the plotting?

I couldn't recall who this character was and didn't spot it on skimming the book.

[Plot:] The major twist was the sacrifice of Kelsier and his "rebirth". Did you see it coming? Did you have enough foreshadowing that it was believable? What was your overall impression of the event?

I did not see it coming, even though it was foreshadowed several times. It was my favorite part of the whole book. Of course, if I were religious it might also be the most offensive part of the book. Luckily I am not and I enjoyed how he played on people's emotions to create his own religion.

[Plotting:] I have heard both good an bad feedback on the book. It left me questioning why I liked it so much. The answer for me, was the pacing of the story. Did you find the building of tension and development of the plot to pull you along? Or did it leave you behind? What do you think of the overall pacing of the book?

I really liked the pacing of this book, and that is probably why I read the whole series of book one after another late into the night. The later books in the series to me seemed to slump in the middle. Especially because it was obvious the characters weren't working on what was important but instead getting caught up in side events which I knew weren't going to go anywhere.

[Wrap-Up:] What were your overall impressions of the book? Of Sanderson? Will you read the rest of the series? Why or why not?

I really like his voice when he writes and his imaginition in terms of systems of magic. He is very good at creating twists at the end of his books (although the one at the end of Elantris isn't quite believable) I like that he doesn't go heavily into descriptions of the furniture and what kind of lace the women are wearing on the cuffs of their sleeves under their coats.
The only thing I really don't like is that he doesn't quite give that extra little bit. I thought the Mistborn series was very good, but not a quite classic. There's something missing here. Maybe it is depth? I'm not sure.

message 3: by Robin (last edited Jun 24, 2009 02:45PM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 22 comments Mod
So I was not put off by the "grisly" aspect of the executions - I thought it was "appopriate" in context. As to why he put it in there. Probably to make it more "gritty" and "real". Brought home the real consequences of their situation and enhanced the danger situation.

I always thoght Kelsier would die - I'm not sure that I would classify what happened to him as a "rebirth". My only objection to the death is the end of the book seemed VERY rushed it made for an exciting conclusion but I would have liked some better pacing. I kept noticing I was a scant few pages from the end and ther was still alot that had to be accounted for.

As for pacing - I'm surprised you liked it so much - I personally thought it was a slow build then a fast explosion at the end. Sanderson himself mentioned he was not happy with his pacing and I would have to agree. That being said -- it did not take away my enjoyment of the book.

Overall impressions - very positive - I think he made some good characters and had some great twists. I expectd some things to happen that didn't - i.e. I kept expecting some "bad metal" to make one or both of them sick. Some characters were really great especially Kelsier, Sazed, and Breeze. I wasn't as impressed with Vin - seemed like a standard - waif orphan who discovers a great power. It's been done before but still fresh enough that I consider this a high recommendation to others.

Yes I will read the rest of the series in fact I'm already in Book 2 now

-- Robin The Crown Conspiracy | Avempartha | Nyphron Rising (Oct 2009)

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason | 55 comments Mod
#1 I agree with what's been said so far, it was to give more context to how bad it was under the current regime.

#2 Kliss was a minor noble who loved to gossip at court. Vin cornered her and "got" her to talk about the High Noble woman (whose name escapes me) mistborn and their plot to kill Elend. She used allomancy on her and the woman caved and revealed everything. It was one of those times in the story where I was like, "Sanderson you could have just written down-I as the author, want you to see the plot, the plot is A, B, C-now resume reading and enjoy the rest of the story".

#3 I saw Kelsier not making it out of the book. He had made himself to powerful and to much of a figurehead to the people for him to be a major character in the next book-everything would have been about him and that is not what the story was about. The twist I liked was how oolie (or however it is spelled) used his bones to make him reappear and get the revolution going. I missed that possibility. Although everything (the capture of "Renoux" and the inquisitor fight and the presence of the emperor) were really convenient for pulling off the ending-I still enjoyed it. Sanderson got me to suspend my "come on this is so fake" and enjoy his story.

#4 There were some parts of the story that seemed to drag, but overall I thought he gave us just enough throughout the book to keep moving forward. Although in retrospect, there were parts that were unnecessary and could slow down the pacing. Could you link the interview with Sanderson where he said he didn't like the pacing?

#5 I liked the book, and enjoyed the second one. I think Sanderson is talented, but needs to trust his readers a little more. "We get it, Brandon" is heard a little to often with his stories. I will read the rest of the series and have Elantris and will probably pick up his latest. I am surprised by his pick to finish the Wheel series, he has a very different style from Jordan. Jordan's last several books were very formulaic before he died.

message 5: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) It'll be weird reading his version of the Wheel of time. The plot will advance, there won't be endless descriptions of people's lace, fewer tea parties... I'm personally very glad they didn't choose someone who drags out a story forever.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason | 55 comments Mod
David wrote: "It'll be weird reading his version of the Wheel of time. The plot will advance, there won't be endless descriptions of people's lace, fewer tea parties... I'm personally very glad they didn't choos..."

Hopefully we can finally do away with all of the "pinches the bottom of person [x:]" and the overly played out struggles between men and women. I swear Jordan had a serious female/male relationship identification issue. I will miss his work, but I agree that it will be nice for the series to get a fresh coat of paint.

message 7: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) I also can't figure out why the women who do magic are fanatically obsessed with not having children. Is there some kind of strange implication here?