What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
This topic is about Bloody Bones
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Urban Fantasy or Horror about a monster that can only get you when you turn around [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Winter | 2 comments This might be a short story even, but I feel like it belonged to a series. The main character (who could be male or female) is some kind of detective figure. The monster in it is called Rawbones, perhaps. It has to follow certain rules - it can only get you if you turn around and look behind you. To make you do this, it frightens you - you can feel its hot breath on your neck, hear its footsteps behind you, smell it.
Obviously this has stuck with me, but I cannot remember what it's from. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments There was an Anita Blake (by Laurell K. Hamilton) book where she fought Rawbones, I don't remember which title though, one of the first few I think.

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Bloody Bones possibly? I too remember that book, but I don't remember which one it was either. But definitely before book 10 or 11. Or maybe not. I do remember that the Rawbone character was not the primary "big bad" in the book he appeared in, so just going by the descriptions probably isn't going to be enough Abigail. On the plus side--the Anita Blake books are still hugely popular and I'm sure that you can find them all at the library. If not at your local, see about an inter-library loan, since most library systems have these available for differing fees (my local one charges you for the shipping fee, some charge nothing, others charge a specific fee, probably based on how hard the book is to get hold of.)

message 4: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John stories have all kinds of critters; the one you describe would fit right in. John the Balladeer is a collection of the stories. Basically folk myth.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Winter | 2 comments I think Michele and Ann aka Iftcan both got it! I do read the Anita Blake books, so it's a good possibility. Thanks!

@Serendi - The Silver John series sounds interesting. Thanks.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bloody Bones (other topics)
John the Balladeer (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Manly Wade Wellman (other topics)