Start by marking “Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)” as Want to Read:
Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)

Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  64,246 Ratings  ·  1,170 Reviews
In Laurell K. Hamilton's "New York Times" bestselling novels, Anita Blake, vampire hunter and animator, takes a bite out of crime-of the supernatural kind. But even someone who deals with death on a daily basis can be unnerved by its power...
When Branson, Missouri, is hit with a death wave-four unsolved murders-it doesn't take an expert to realize that all is not well. B
Published November 1st 2005 by Berkley Hardcover (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Bloody Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloody Bones

HFK
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to HFK by: Jessica
Shelves: paidkindle, fantasies
Our Anita Blake marathon and buddy read with Jessica continues with the fifth installment in the series.

Bloody Bones is the best installment so far for me, and it is mainly that because Ms. Blake (Anita is very strict of her being called as Ms. instead of Miss, which is pointed numerous times within the story, and perhaps this is the touch of feminism I have heard so much about around the hoods) is out of town, and every page is not fillet with the awkwardly awkward love triangle that is getting
Crystal Starr Light
"Why do I put up with you? You insult me at every turn."

Well, LKH broke the formula with this book. Anita actually TAKES a client and leaves St. Louis to head to Branson, Missouri, where she is being paid to raise an entire graveyard to see who owns the property (because, of course, Anita is the only one in this entire world who can do anything). While she is there, she learns that something is killing young boys AND a vampire is on the loose.

This book, more than any of the earlier books, set my
Jilly
So, the name of this book is Bloody Bones, right? Well, it is named after a restaurant in the book called Bloody Bones. I have to wonder how many of us would be willing to eat at a place with that name. Seriously, they need to fire the person who came up with that one, cuz yuck.

and mooing...

Oh, and I found another fun fact about this book. Anita actually says a word more often than "Nike." It's "Browning", and apparently it's some kind of gun that she really really likes. The word "Browning" is
Elise (On The Bookshelves)
Anita is such a badass as usual!
Megan
Sep 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Although I never really learned to like Anita Blake, she was always tolerable ~ until Bloody Bones. Didn't Anita complain about all of the Were's alpha fight/dominance nonsense in Lunatic Cafe? Really, she is no better than the Were's here. If you take out all of the "I'm a bigger badass than you are" scenes & descriptions of corny outfits, you are left with nothing more than a short story. Granted.... I do like Hamilton's story telling. But at this point I feel as if I am wading through the ...more
Tilly Slaton
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
The creativity that seeps into Laurell Hamilton’s book is astonishing.

With that said, Bloody Bones is one of her books in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series that really doesn’t do it for me.

There are parts of this book that make you read super fast in anticipation of how a scene will turn out! Unfortunately, those scenes are few and far between in this book.

Bloody Bones is a wonderful book filled with profound imagination and lingering betrayal. The twists in this book are interesting, but
Lena
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
537299AC-0E85-4478-A6B4-E026D1241E07.jpg
“Come to me, child, and I will always be with you. I will hold you forever.”
- Serephina

The most terrifying monster can see into your heart and give you all you’ve ever wanted.

Anita has been called to the next town to raise the very old dead and hunt a child killing vampire. It will mean dealing with another Master of the City, a woman Jean Claude never wanted to see again.

Anita is pretty awful to Jean Claude in this book but the vampire has long term plans... and they’re working.

Some of m
Bark
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, horror
Bloody Bones is one of the more brutal outings in this series. A huge portion of the book follows Anita Blake as she’s working and this time she’s called in on a case that is particularly gruesome. Three teen boys are brutally slain, a young teen girl is left for dead and a young boy has been kidnapped, possibly by a deviant sexual predator of a vampire who enjoys toying with children. It’s dark and painful to read the grief instilled within some of these pages.

Anita must also raise an entire gr
Büşra Öztürk
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sabırla okuyorum , heyecanla Jean - Claude bekliyorum. *_*
Danielle is rad
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

The ending was so sad. I cannot stress this enough, it made my want to cry on Anita's behalf even knowing it wasn't true.

I loved this book as well as the rest, this series is so good, like I said I cannot stress this enough. This is by far one of my favorite series I have ever read. I have yet to encounter a book series like this in which I never can assume ahead of time the outcome. Everything links up and makes the series melt together, I love it so much. I don't know now which book I pre
Regina
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. This is my favorite book in the Anita Blake series so far. This is the first AB book that I listened to the audio of rather than reading. In Bloody Bones, Anita begins to bend from her very rigid moral code, which is a good thing. We learn about Jean Claude's background before he was a vamp and his beginning as a vamp. Learning about JC's background makes him seem more like a person, and it was sad but I also saw him as a victim. I still haven't seen a reason in any of the books (exce ...more
A.M.
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
I keep giving the series only 2 stars, yet keep reading. Why? Because I like the plot. However, Hamilton's writing style just makes me skim through large chunks of the story until I get to the interesting bits, so it's a love-hate relationship.
I like the love triangle between Richard, Anita, and Jean Claude. The introduction of the fey was interesting as well.
Also, finally Anita is behaving like a religious person (or at least more so than before), although as yet she still hasn't been to church
SuperHeroQwimm
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Most enjoyable. And she seems to be getting closer to Jean-Claude. Yippeee
Donna
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I have enjoyed this entire series so far and this one was no exception. I like that the characters are in constant motion. They seem to be moving forward, even if at times it feels like they are moving slowly. But it seems that by the end of the book, they have all learned something new and have adapted. Usually in series, that is hard to keep up, but this author has figured that part out.

These have been a fun escape for me. I have a couple more that I hope to get to soon.
Sarah (A Weebish Book Blog)
This review publishes on A Weebish Book Blog on 11/08/2017.

When Anita Blake is asked to raise 300-year-old zombies to settle a land dispute in Branson, Missouri, the job becomes a lot more interesting than she originally expected. A psychotic vampire begins committing murders in the area and Blake must call on her fanged boyfriend for help.

What I enjoyed:

- Anita Blake finally stops thinking of Jean-Claude as a monster anymore, and finally sees him as not just a powerfully seductive vampire, but
Subinita(BOOKAHOLIC) Mazumder
Jennymort ♔ The Dark Lordette ♔ House of Slytheread
description

Another one done and I loved how it felt as if I was reading this for the first time.

And my love Jason is now firmly in the series. I love that mutt.

description
Nick
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good story, powerful vampires, conniving humans and some fae thrown in for good measure. Not to mention un-dead pedophiles....yeah that's a disturbing one.

Anita and Larry get the full limelight and it's a really good team story, the dynamic with Jean-Claude is fun too and although the subject is there the 'who-to-choose' romance isn't at the top of agenda.

There's the usual mix of good and bad characters, odd individuals and true bad guys. There's guns and magic and blood and go
taveena kade
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
it was a little all over the place near the end, but i still like it so far
Seth
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anita Blake fans, and paranormal crime mystery fans
Recommended to Seth by: Krystal Edwards
Ms. Anita Blake and I have had a very rocky history in the short time she and I have made acquaintances. For the first few books, I was absolutely enthralled with her take-no-prisoners attitude, her bravado, and her insistence upon keeping the monsters in check. However, with The Lunatic Cafe, she became absolutely frustrating in her passionate distaste for Jean Claude. That is not to say that I was not already getting annoyed with her before then with the way she was treating him when he was cl ...more
mlady_rebecca
Nicole
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it

For all the Anita Blake books - I started this series with my then friend, Meredith - she actually got me hooked that fateful summer of 2000 when I was living on her wooden floor in Brooklyn. We were both unemployed and bored and got hooked into this series. I loved Anita Blake because it was before I discovered the new genre - what I like to call "badass chicks who kick ass!" written in first person - and so she was all empowering and of course there were hot vampires and werewolves in it.

Unfo

Pete
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hamilton-l-k
Bloody Bones continues Anita Blake’s non-stop exploits in a book containing faerie characters and multiple story lines which added to the brilliant book. The gore factor is high in this book.(view spoiler) ...more
Katherine Madison
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Jody Mena
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
My favorite in the series so far! Hamilton's take on fairie lore made for some intriguing twists. Serephina was an intriguing villain, I really enjoyed the imagery of her and her powers really made things interesting. The character development was exciting for me, especially Anita's internal struggle with her mother's death, as wel as learning more about Jean Claude's past. The only thing that tripped me up a bit was that Jason seemed different than in the previous book; this may be because he w ...more
AndrewP
Except for the excellent Rivers of London series, the last few urban fantasy books I have read have been pretty lackluster. I had forgotten how kick-ass the Anita Blake books are. Laurell K. Hamilton really has a skill highlighting the bio-polar aspects of the vampires. They may try and fit into modern human life and be understanding, helpful and sympathetic, but she never lets you forget that they are really horrible monsters underneath, even the good ones.

This is a fast moving story with plent
Fangs for the Fantasy
Anita Blake has been called out to an animating job in Branson, far away from her usual connections. But she’s the only one in the country who may be able to do it – raise an entire graveyard full of 200 year old bodies, preferably in one night.

As if that weren’t a big enough problem, the motivations of the parties involved is far from clear – and the presence of fae magic in the graveyard, and faeries willing to guard it, raises many more questions.

And there are vampires running amok – as the n
Myvampfiction
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
review by Ciara

*Warning: possible spoilers ahead.*

Bloody Bones follows quickly on from the action of The Lunatic Café. Fans of the French vampire Jean Claude, as wells as fans of the murder and crime and investigation that characterized the first few installments in the series, will love this book.

Anita travels to Branson, Missouri to raise an entire cemetery in order to settle a dispute about the ownership of the land. A property developer wants to build a high-class resort, while a local man,
Anna
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Again more like a 3.5. Good but a bit gory at times. I do feel that Hamilton is beginning to shift her 'world rules' a little here to facilitate more books. Anita feels weaker than in her last book. I liked the 'twist' in the final 'escape' but Anita's final 'position' seems a little dubious. I would have felt that her experience with Seraphina might have left her a little more hostile-especially as she understands her own power more. Larry is good - and we see a lot of him - as are the police. ...more
Dichotomy Girl
So I can fairly definitively say that the inevitable demise of the Anita Blake Series started much much earlier than I remembered. Before my re-read, I would have guessed book 9. But it was in book 4 that Anita made the decision to date Jean Claude which was her first step towards the dark side. In this book, she continues further down that path.

How much of this is influenced by Jean-Claude and his ardeur? And how much is Anita fighting against her generally repressed life she's lived thus far?

I
Play Book Tag: Bloody Bones / Laurell K. Hamilton. 4 stars 1 5 Apr 01, 2016 08:45PM
A Million More Pages: 5 - Bloody Bones (ABVH): Apr 26 19 27 Apr 21, 2015 08:09PM
laurell 12 86 Sep 29, 2014 01:03PM
  • Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • Embraced by Darkness (Riley Jenson Guardian #5)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • The Watcher  (Anna Strong Chronicles, #3)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)
  • Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“One thing I've learned about vampires--they keep pulling new rabbits out of their cloaks. Big, fanged, carnivorous bunnies that'll eat your eyeballs if you're not paying attention.” 275 likes
“You are an irritating son of a bitch.”
“Ah, ma petite, how can I resist you when you whisper such sweet endearments to me?”
91 likes