Who's Your Author? discussion

Let's talk about... > What series have ended way too soon?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Some series drag on and on and you wonder when they're going to end. On the other hand, some end way too soon. Sara and I read Long Live the Queen by Kate Locke and discovered that sadly, it was the last book of the series. *sniff* Are there any series you wish hadn't ended and feel were cut way too soon by the author?

message 2: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) It's not UF but I read the Mistress of Death series by Ariana Franklin and was so bummed out that she had died because that series was really interesting.

I'll have to think about the UF ones. Most that end, end at a perfect time. I think when The Hollows/Rachel Morgan series ends I will be a bit sad. I want a HEA for Rachel, but at the same time...I want to read her adventures. :)

message 3: by Joseph (last edited Nov 19, 2013 07:26PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 208 comments I was unhappy when Kelley Armstrong ended her Women of the Otherworld series at 13 books. I understand why she did it, but I still wish she hadn't.
I also think Paranormal Scene Investigations by Laura Anne Gilman could have gone on longer than 6 books.

message 4: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 19, 2013 07:27PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Joseph wrote: "I was unhappy when Kelley Armstrong ended her Women of the Otherworld series at 13 books. I understand why she did it, but I still wish she hadn't."

I was sad too. I do like the number she choose to stop at though--13. :) It seems somehow appropriate.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Two that I really enjoyed and was sad to see end were:
The Harper Connelly Series by Charlaine Harris
Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine Harris Grave Surprise (Harper Connelly, #2) by Charlaine Harris An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly, #3) by Charlaine Harris Grave Secret (Harper Connelly, #4) by Charlaine Harris

The Bloodhound Files
Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1) by D.D. Barant Death Blows (The Bloodhound Files, #2) by D.D. Barant Killing Rocks (The Bloodhound Files, #3) by D.D. Barant Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #4) by D.D. Barant Back from the Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #5) by D.D. Barant Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files, #6) by D.D. Barant

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments Series I was sad to see end:

The Mistress of Death series by Ariana Franklin - I agree with Karena - it was an excellent series.

The Xandra Vardan series by Kate Locke - so many plotlines that could still be explored

The Horngate Witches by Diana Pharoah Francis - the fate of the angels is still unresolved

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike | 353 comments I don't know if I have any regrets about series that the author stopped but there are ones that the publisher has stopped that really bum me out. The top most being the Menegarie by Christopher Golden and Tom Sniegoski.
I have even begged both authors to continue the series as e-books or kickstarters. I've even tried to get them to just tell me how the rest of the story unfolds.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Boorman (lisachromis) | 11 comments Joseph wrote: "I was unhappy when Kelley Armstrong ended her Women of the Otherworld series at 13 books. I understand why she did it, but I still wish she hadn't.
I also think Paranormal Scene Investigations by ..."

One of my favourites too. Wish there would be more.

message 9: by Veronica (last edited Nov 20, 2013 06:28AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) I was very sad that the Charlie Madigan series didn't go beyond four books due to the publisher. At least it didn't end on a cliffhanger.

The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2) by Kelly Gay The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan #3) by Kelly Gay The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2) by Kelly Gay

message 10: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "Two that I really enjoyed and was sad to see end were:
Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine HarrisGrave Surprise (Harper Connelly, #2) by Charlaine Harris[bookcover:An Ice Cold Grave|140..."

I agree with the Harper Connelly series. The last book was by far the best and I screamed a little when I found out there'd be no next book. I'll have to check out the Bloodhound files.

message 11: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Sara wrote: "Series I was sad to see end:

The Mistress of Death series by Ariana Franklin - I agree with Karena - it was an excellent series.

The Xandra Vardan series by Kate Locke - so many plotlines that co..."

NOOOOOOOO! I didn't realize the Horngate Witches sereis had ended. Gah! I loved that one. :(

message 12: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Mike wrote: "I don't know if I have any regrets about series that the author stopped but there are ones that the publisher has stopped that really bum me out. The top most being the Menegarie by Christopher Gol..."

I love that you did that. It's totally something I would do and you put a smile on my face. I do wish some authors would continue on with series by self publishing it. They'd probably make a killing. It's my understanding that authors only make a single digit fraction of the proceeds from a book. If memory serves, I believe it's somewhere between 6% to 8% of the total profits from a book. Much smaller than I'd ever imagined.

message 13: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I think it would be interesting on how many favorite series ended by author choice vs publisher choice.

message 14: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 20, 2013 06:47AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Darcy wrote: "I think it would be interesting on how many favorite series ended by author choice vs publisher choice."

Very true. It would be interesting to know.

message 15: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Joseph wrote: "I was unhappy when Kelley Armstrong ended her Women of the Otherworld series at 13 books. I understand why she did it, but I still wish she hadn't.
I also think Paranormal Scene Investigations by ..."

I agree with Joseph. I understand about Kelley ending WotO as well, but it's still sad. I'm consoling myself in the fact that we will soon be able to watch them (at least Clay, Elena, and Jeremy) on tv.

message 16: by C (new)

C (cboggs) | 8 comments I also hated to see the Harper Connelly series end. I loved the last book.

message 17: by Mike (new)

Mike | 353 comments Veronica G. wrote: "I was very sad that the Charlie Madigan series didn't go beyond four books due to the publisher. At least it didn't end on a cliffhanger.

The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay[bookcove..."

I've talked to Kelly Gay and she said she will be continuing Charlie Madigan as an e-book series. Also there is a Charlie short story in Carniepunk. It's really good. The story and the book.

message 18: by Veronica (last edited Nov 20, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) Karena wrote: "I agree with Joseph. I understand about Kelley ending WotO as well, but it's still sad. I'm consoling myself in the fact that we will soon be able to watch them (at least Clay, Elena, and Jeremy) on tv.
"

I'm really looking forward to the show as well, even if it inevitably deviates from the books.

While I'm always sad to see a favorite series end when it's by the author's decision, I can accept it better because it's all in the plan. It's when a series is ended prematurely by the publisher that it really hurts. :/

Another one that I liked that ended after four books because of the publisher is the Dreg City series by Kelly Meding (a bit of a darker UF series). In this case though, the author self published a fifth book this year (not sure if there will be more after that).

Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1) by Kelly Meding As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2) by Kelly Meding Another Kind of Dead (Dreg City, #3) by Kelly Meding Wrong Side of Dead (Dreg City, #4) by Kelly Meding self-published Requiem For The Dead (Dreg City, #5) by Kelly Meding

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike | 353 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Mike wrote: "I don't know if I have any regrets about series that the author stopped but there are ones that the publisher has stopped that really bum me out. The top most being the Menegarie by Ch..."

I love that we live in a world where so many authors are easily accessible and that so many of them are eager to respond to fans.

message 20: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Veronica G. wrote: "I was very sad that the Charlie Madigan series didn't go beyond four books due to the publisher. At least it didn't end on a cliffhanger.

The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay[bookcove..."

Oh no I thought her publisher was considering more books.
Ok that makes me sad!

message 21: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments Darcy wrote: "I think it would be interesting on how many favorite series ended by author choice vs publisher choice."

Right so we could figure out who to be mad at

message 22: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Darcy wrote: "I think it would be interesting on how many favorite series ended by author choice vs publisher choice."

Right so we could figure out who to be mad at"

LOL I like the way you think

message 23: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 973 comments Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "Two that I really enjoyed and was sad to see end were:
Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine HarrisGrave Surprise (Harper Connelly, #2) by Charlaine Harris[bookcover:An Ice Cold Grave|140..."

I totally agree about Harper Connelly. I wish Harris would have put more effort in to that and less in to Sookie.

message 24: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 973 comments What about Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law, #1) by J.A. Saare ?? I'm not sure it's officially canceled now or not. Lot's of drama w/that I haven't kept up on.

message 25: by Mike (new)

Mike | 353 comments Another one canceled by the publisher A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3) by K.A. Stewart A Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2) by K.A. Stewart A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1) by K.A. Stewart by K.A. Stewart.

message 26: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Mike wrote: "Another one canceled by the publisher A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3) by K.A. StewartA Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2) by K.A. StewartA Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1) by K.A. Stewart by K.A. Stewart."

I just learned that, which is too bad as I really liked the series. I liked how normal Jesse is.

message 27: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (last edited Nov 21, 2013 09:58PM) (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Alisa wrote: "What about Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law, #1) by J.A. Saare?? I'm not sure it's officially canceled now or not. Lot's of drama w/that I haven't kept up on."

This is the last book - I think it is a trilogy The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3) by J.A. Saare

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) Mike wrote: "Another one canceled by the publisher A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3) by K.A. StewartA Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2) by K.A. StewartA Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1) by K.A. Stewart by K.A. Stewart."

Well, darn. This one is one is on my TBR list, too. Does it end on a cliffhanger or does it have a reasonably satisfying ending, even if it's premature?

message 29: by Mike (new)

Mike | 353 comments Veronica G. wrote: "Mike wrote: "Another one canceled by the publisher A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3) by K.A. StewartA Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2) by K.A. StewartA Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1) by K.A. Stewart by K.A. Stewart."

Well, d..."

Each book ends pretty well by itself and I know that she plans to do a fourth book to wrap up any danglies. The fourth book will be e-book only and self published.

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) Okay, thanks Mike. Then I will keep it on my TBR list. :)