Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > January Additional Read Nominations **CLOSED**

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 18, 2013 04:24PM) (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
Time to nominate your additional monthly reads for January. This month's nominations are open to any book; you can keep with the Goodreads Choice Awards theme and nominate a runner up, or just nominate your favourite book, or a book that's been on your TBR pile for ages.

- When nominating please make sure to include the book link or book cover link. This can be done by clicking on the ' add book / author' link above the comment box.
If not possible (because you're using a mobile app), then make sure you include both book title and author.
Your nomination will not count if not in either of these formats.

- Please refrain from nominating any book that has already been a group read or scheduled to read as part of the Goodreads Choice Award Book Club. These can be found at https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...
Please also refrain from voting for books that are in the final round of nominations for the 2013 Choice Awards (as the winners will be become our BOM reads). They can be found here https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

- Please do not nominate a second (or later) book in a series read (as members of the group may not have read the previous books).
Your nomination will be not be counted if you do.

- Only one nomination per person will be accepted (if more than one is nominated, the first book posted will be accepted).

- Nominations will close on Sunday 24th November, 5pm GMT and will be followed by a poll.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5834 comments Mod
Should we avoid books that are in the final round of nominations for the Goodreads Choice Awards this year so that we don't choose one of the winners as our additional BOM or does that not matter?

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
Good point Kristie, I'll include that.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Decisions, decisions.... I think I'll go with The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan.

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Synopsis:
Grace Winter, 22, is both a newlywed and a widow. She is also on trial for her life.

In the summer of 1914, the elegant ocean liner carrying her and her husband Henry across the Atlantic suffers a mysterious explosion. Setting aside his own safety, Henry secures Grace a place in a lifeboat, which the survivors quickly realize is over capacity. For any to live, some must die.

As the castaways battle the elements, and each other, Grace recollects the unorthodox way she and Henry met, and the new life of privilege she thought she'd found. Will she pay any price to keep it?

The Lifeboat is a page-turning novel of hard choices and survival, narrated by a woman as unforgettable and complex as the events she describes.

message 7: by Jenn S. (Book Buzz) (last edited Nov 22, 2013 02:14PM) (new)

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

This already looks like it's going to be one of those polls that it's difficult to vote on. I like all four of the first nominations!

message 9: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I would like to nominate The Road by Cormac McCarthy .

Synopsis:

A searing, post apocalyptic novel destined to become Cormac McCarthy’s masterpiece.

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don’t know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing; just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food—and each other.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 25 comments I'll nominate The Dinner by Herman Koch.

Synopsis:

A European Gone Girl." --The Wall Street Journal

An internationally bestselling phenomenon: the darkly suspenseful, highly controversial tale of two families struggling to make the hardest decision of their lives -- all over the course of one meal.

It's a summer's evening in Amsterdam, and two couples meet at a fashionable restaurant for dinner. Between mouthfuls of food and over the polite scrapings of cutlery, the conversation remains a gentle hum of polite discourse -- the banality of work, the triviality of the holidays. But behind the empty words, terrible things need to be said, and with every forced smile and every new course, the knives are being sharpened.
Each couple has a fifteen-year-old son. The two boys are united by their accountability for a single horrific act; an act that has triggered a police investigation and shattered the comfortable, insulated worlds of their families. As the dinner reaches its culinary climax, the conversation finally touches on their children. As civility and friendship disintegrate, each couple show just how far they are prepared to go to protect those they love.
Tautly written, incredibly gripping, and told by an unforgettable narrator, The Dinner promises to be the topic of countless dinner party debates. Skewering everything from parenting values to pretentious menus to political convictions, this novel reveals the dark side of genteel society and asks what each of us would do in the face of unimaginable tragedy.

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

"Pulse" by Jeremy Robinson Synap sounds like a thrill ride! My kinda book!

message 13: by Donna (last edited Nov 21, 2013 01:48PM) (new)

Donna | 94 comments I would like to nominate Longbourn by Jo Baker

message 14: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Mila 18 - Leon UrisMila 18

message 15: by Tanya (new)

Tanya My nomination is The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani

message 16: by Miranda (last edited Nov 22, 2013 01:09PM) (new)

Miranda | 8 comments Legend
by Marie Lu
How do you get the pretty picture of the book too??!!

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 25 comments Miranda,

Click on "add book/author" and select "cover" at the bottom! (Author is at the top, if you want to add author link).

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan I recommend The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian by Chris Bohjalian.

"Addictive, fast-paced, and often frankly terrifying . . . Bohjalian has created an entertaining, thought-provoking, and disturbingly contemporary fictional world in which compassion and outrage are two sides of the same coin . . . Fling open the shutters. Settle in a comfortable chair. Lock the doors, Then turn to the first page of The Light in the Ruins and let the shadows in."
—Elizabeth Eisenstadt Evans, The Philadelphia Inquirer

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane | 69 comments I'd like to nominate The Auschwitz Violin by Maria Àngels Anglada

message 20: by Cinzia (new)

Cinzia | 6 comments I'd like to nominate The Book Thief by Markus Zusak . The film version is coming out these days and the plot seems really intriguing

message 21: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 24, 2013 01:08PM) (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
I'm nominating Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

----------

The nominations are now closed and a poll will be up soon.

message 22: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 20 comments Cinzia wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. The film version is coming out these days and the plot seems really intriguing"

That was such a great book ,can't wait to see the movie!

message 23: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
Poll can be found at https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/9...

message 24: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 8 comments Sandra wrote: "Miranda,

Click on "add book/author" and select "cover" at the bottom! (Author is at the top, if you want to add author link)."

You are so smart! Still new at this, thanks!

message 25: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Langan (ashleighreads) | 4 comments I just joined the group but would love to be able to participate .. will it continue in 2014?

message 26: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 1997 comments Mod
Of course it will Ashleigh :)))

message 27: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Langan (ashleighreads) | 4 comments Vanessa wrote: "Of course it will Ashleigh :)))"

Awesome, thank you! I am really looking forward to being part of some reading challenges in the new year. One of my resolutions is to get a lot more reading done and break out and read new things I normally wouldn't!

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Ashleigh - This is the perfect group for that because they read the winners from each category of the Goodreads Choice Awards as Book of the Month. So you'll be exposed to more genres than you'd probably normally read on your own. :)