Q2L 10 ELA discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
10B Weekly Discussion Threads > 10B Week 11 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David, Teacher (new)

David Patterson (MrPatterson) | 79 comments Mod
This week we have a few questions for you about how you read, when you read, where you read, and what you read.

First, what's your favorite way to read a book, on paper or electronically? Why do you feel this way?

Second, when do you generally read? Do you read on a schedule, or at the same time every day, or do you read at different times? Do you read before bed (this is the most popular time to read books in the United States, by the way)?

Third, where do you generally read? Is it the same place every day, or mostly every day, or do you switch it up? Is it at home, or do you read other places? Where do you find you're most comfortable reading?

Finally, what is your favorite kind of book or reading material to read? Is this a recent change, or have you felt this way for a long while? Do you think your reading habits have changed since you've become a sophomore, and how do you think they'll change as you become a junior and senior?

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles Raben | 28 comments My favorite way to read a book is on paper. I feel this way because I like the texture. I enjoy flipping through the pages. I think that in this day and age we've become to reliant on technology.

I read whenever I have time. It can be when I'm in the subway, during study hall, before I go to bed, or when I'm just bored. Most of all it's at home. I like to lay down on a couch, get comfortable and just get into my zone.

My favorite kind of book is one that is about nutrition, backed with scientific facts. I'm currently reading Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It. This is a recent change in my reading behavior, as I'm used to reading novels and short stories. This change was made in my sophomore year, as my interests are changing and I am developing into an adult. My interests in diet, nutrition and exercise will only get stronger from here on out as it is a big part of my life. I will read much more about these topics as they will become increasing relevant to me.

message 3: by Christian (new)

Christian Torres | 2 comments I like to read books electronically because there is always a way you can get to your book, you don't have to bring a paper book wherever you go and carry it all day, though I don't mind reading on paper at all really.

I usually read pretty spontaneously, and I rarely ever set a schedule when I read but it's mostly during the night.

I always read at home, because I just can't concentrate and enjoy a book anywhere else.

I've always loved novels more than any other type of book and I always will, they always just draw me in so well and they are the one genre that I genuinely enjoy reading.

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 20 comments I don't have a preference weather it's electronically or on paper there's ups to both and there's down to boths I like more paper though cause you can always have a technical difficulty with an iPad or ereader it can die and there go's your book but paper never dies and it's always there for sure! Usually the same time everyday it depends cause in some seasons i play sports. Mostly at school when I have nothing to do but at home at a library somewhere quiet my favorite type of books are realistic fiction I like something that I can relate to but it doesn't have to be true just possible and something interesting I'm very picky with books.

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 20 comments I don't have a preference weather it's electronically or on paper there's ups to both and there's down to boths I like more paper though cause you can always have a technical difficulty with an iPad or ereader it can die and there go's your book but paper never dies and it's always there for sure! Usually the same time everyday it depends cause in some seasons i play sports. Mostly at school when I have nothing to do but at home at a library somewhere quiet my favorite type of books are realistic fiction I like something that I can relate to but it doesn't have to be true just possible and something interesting I'm very picky with books.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 12 comments My favorite way to read a book is on paper because its better you can take with you everywhere and you don't have to worry about anything going wrong. I read at different times and places, manily at home or during my study hall periods . My favorite kind of book to read are ficton books, because I love fiction I love how fiction books make people think about the impossbile things become possible

message 7: by Tiana (new)

Tiana | 12 comments My favorite way to read a book is on paper because its better for me to understand more i can visual things in my head know exactly whats going on. i read at different times but i dont always read before bed. where i read is in my room so i can focus and no one interrupting i use to go to barnes and nobles and read there with friends and buy books that i liked to read. my favorite kind of books are drama or comedy because its more interesting. no my reading habits didnt change but it helps me

message 8: by Nuridin (new)

Nuridin Wilkerson | 10 comments My favorite way to read book's or anything, is electronically. The reason why is because, i find it easy, and reasonable because im on the computer all day, everyday (when i get home). I dont normally read on a consistant basis. I might read 10 pages one day, and next week, i would read 40 pages, but normally i read until i get the gist of the book, or when i finish it. I love to read at home, because its quiet and its easy for me to make up a story in my head if its quiet. My favorite style/type of book to read is, Action,Mystery

message 9: by Freddy (new)

Freddy Ventura | 13 comments My favorite way to read a book is electronically. the reason i like to read books electronically is because its much faster to the moment you begin reading to the moment your done. it saves your page so u dont have to mark a book or put a book mark in your book. so if your reading your book electronically it just right there in front of you. its faster lighter tha some books and perfect for on the go .

message 10: by Erica (new)

Erica | 7 comments My favorite way to read a book is electronic because if I want to look up something(what a word means,I could just look it up in a dictionary app)or if I want to highlight a sentence or word I could just use it on the app. The reason why I like to read on an electronic device is because I feel more comfortable about it. I generally read when I have time to read and when I am not doing anything. I don't read on a schedule, I read on my free time. Yes, I do read before I go to bed but only when I go to bed really early. I generally read anywhere but I most of all read at home where I could relax and be more comfortable about the book that I am reading. The place where I mostly find comfortable reading is in my room laying down on my bed or in my living room on a coach listening to music relaxed. My favortie kind of book that I like to read is mostly teen drama, teen romace, and comedy books. The type of material of book that I like is hard cover because the book won't break easily. No, I have felt this way for a long time ever since I was younger than I am now. Yes, honestly I do think that my reading habits have changed ever since I became a sophomore because when I was younger I used to fold the cover book and read now I have stopped folding the cover becuase I learned my lesson that one of my favorite books when I was younger had broken, because I was folding the cover and the pages started to come out of the book. I honestly don't know if I would gain some reading habits or I will loose some reading habits once I become a junior and a senior because down the road I will learn my lessons on doing the right things of taking good care of a book.

message 11: by Emmanuelthomas (new)

Emmanuelthomas | 18 comments My favorite way to read is the normal old hard cover books because there strong and last longer. I normally like to look for books that are creative and kinda dark and moody. I read only in school and home I really like distopyas and navals. When I think back to when I was in middle school I realized that I did not read as much as I read today in high school. I don't really like to log how long I read because it makes me not really want to even read the book it makes me feel forced as if I had no choose but to read. This is a good thing and a bad thing.

message 12: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas R. | 22 comments I like reading physical books when I can because I like to have access to it all the time. I also read whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I plan to read before bed but I don't I usually read in my room since I am comfortable there. I enjoy books in comedy, Sci-Fi, fantasy, adventure, and horror. I started liking Horror books a couple of years ago but I do not read many of those books (I have read Silence of the Lambs though). They have not changed since I became a sophomore. If my tastes toward books change through high school I may just start to like more genres.

message 13: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 9 comments 1) I like to read electronically because I can zoom in and I carry my phone with my everywhere.

2) I read most often when I am bored at home with nothing to do.

3) I usually read in the same place, on my couch or in bed at home.

4) I like to read realistic books, they can be fiction or nonfiction but I like the subjects to be things that could actually happen. I like comics too.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.