Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
This topic is about Pale Blue Dot
Serieses! > Incorrect Series?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GEM (new) - added it

GEM | 28 comments This English book is listed as being part (#254) of a series titled in Arabic. It looks to me like it shouldn't be there, but wanted to run this past you. Is this something a superlibrarian has to edit?

There seem to be a number of English language books in this Arabic series; am I wrong in thinking that the series language should match the language the book was originally written in? I'm thinking this as I noticed that Shadow of the Wind appears as being in this series (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) in its editing page, but as (El cementerio de los libros olvidados #1) on its GR page (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1232).

I hope this makes sense!

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 21217 comments It seems to be an imprint, if anything. Pale Blue Dot is certainly not part of any actual "series."

message 3: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 163 comments The title in Arabic would seem to translate as The world of knowledge and most of the books would fit that. I guess somebody might have made it a "series" (like the "books you should read") but it's not a series like it's understood here.

Your other example is a mix of an old and newer way of marking series. I think in general there is no rule. For example Waltari's duologies are in English. I guess it's better to do it in English than not do at all, because most people can't speak Finnish (or some other language) anyway.

message 4: by GEM (new) - added it

GEM | 28 comments What's the best thing to do in this case, seeing that it looks like a non-existant series? Remove the Pale Blue Dot from the series; all the English books; or ALL the books?

It looks like one user created the list in July, and another has added the majority of the books to it (in the last 3 weeks). Would I need to PM one/both of them before anything is done? Presumably, they should have created a listopia list instead.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Nov 17, 2013 02:25PM) (new)

rivka | 43496 comments Mod
Zapped the non-series series.

message 6: by GEM (new) - added it

GEM | 28 comments That's brilliant - thank you!