The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2013 > 30.1 - Ms Anderson's Task: Riddle Me This

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 17, 2013 07:23AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18022 comments Mod
30.1 Ms Anderson's Task: Riddle Me This

Riddle me this, riddle me that...

Below you will find six clues that describe a single, awesome answer.

Roll two dice to see which clues you will read books for. If you get doubles, roll again until you don't. Read a book for each option.

Optional: Say what you think the answer is.

1) It's Big: read a book with an object that is considered "large" on the cover. If two average-sized people can fit inside it comfortably, it's large (ex. a mansion, a ship, a planet)
Required: post the cover and point out the object

2) It's Popular: read a book that has more than 50,000 ratings

3) It's Usually Fun: read a book where the main character participates in an activity you enjoy
Required: state the activity

4) It Can Be Frustrating: read a book with all the letters A-R-G-H found in the title and/or subtitle in any order

5) It's Addictive: read a book where addiction is a major theme (can be addiction to drugs, gambling, work, etc.)
Required: Point out the theme if it is not evident in the book's GR description

6) And We Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way: read a book of your choice

Required:State your numbers you rolled and any required information for those options.

As always, books with genre "children" and graphic novels of 100+ pages are welcome in my tasks. Happy sleuthing!

message 2: by Megan (last edited Nov 17, 2013 03:20PM) (new)

message 3: by Megan (last edited Nov 17, 2013 03:18PM) (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Not Approved:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (roll 5)

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

This help thread is open!

message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments I rolled a 3 and a 5-
Would Reading be okay for 3?
I wanted to read:
A Pound of Paper Confessions of a Book Addict by John Baxter

message 6: by Karen Michele (last edited Nov 17, 2013 08:48AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1783 comments I also rolled a 3 & a 5. I wanted to check Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for addiction. The description talks about constant drug use, but doesn't specifically say addiction. Will this work?

Also, I have a recommendation for 5 that I just finished that also doesn't specify addiction in the description, but it is definitely an important part of the book:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

It's a great book but is a long one at 700+ pages!

message 7: by Sheila (last edited Nov 17, 2013 10:25AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments As always, you have created a very nice task Ms. Anderson. I was wondering about a body of water for option 1 as an object that 2 people would fit into. Specifically I am thinking about this book

A Deeper Darkness (Dr. Samantha Owens, #1) by J.T. Ellison

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 693 comments I rolled a one. I was looking at the books I might not get to for the Fall, to see if they might fit this task.

Death Star (Star Wars) by Michael Reaves Star Wars Millennium Falcon by James Luceno

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Kathy G. wrote: "I rolled a 3 and a 5-
Would Reading be okay for 3?
I wanted to read:
A Pound of Paper Confessions of a Book Addict by John Baxter"

That will work. Enjoy!

~~~~~

Karen GHHS wrote: "I also rolled a 3 & a 5. I wanted to check Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for addiction. The description talks about constant drug use, but doesn't specifically say addiction. Will this..."

From what I can find on it, Fear and Loathing seems more to do with experimentation with than addiction to drugs. I'm going to have to say no. However, if you find something that contradicts this, I'll approve it.

Also, thanks for the suggestion!

~~~~~

Sheila wrote: "As always, you have created a very nice task Ms. Anderson. I was wondering about a body of water for option 1 as an object that 2 people would fit into. Specifically I am thinking about this book..."

Thanks! And bodies of water will work, if a person will fit into it (which it appears yours will).

~~~~~

Christina (AKA Babbling) wrote: "I rolled a one. I was looking at the books I might not get to for the Fall, to see if they might fit this task.

Death Star (Star Wars) by Michael Reaves Star Wars Millennium Falcon by James Luceno"

Either of those objects are big and will work for option 1.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Claire wrote: "2) The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

6) The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes"

Both of these will work!

message 12: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Gumption & Gumshoes

Will this work for number 3, activity reading?

message 13: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments Thanks Ms. Anderson

message 14: by Prajakta (last edited Nov 22, 2013 01:17AM) (new)

Prajakta | 150 comments Will Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Foundby Suketu Mehta work for option 1? There is a palace sort of building on the cover

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Susan A wrote: "Gumption & Gumshoes

Will this work for number 3, activity reading?"

Ack! I'm sorry for not getting back to you, I thought I'd replied. Reading will work as an activity, so this book is approved.

~~~~~

Prajakta wrote: "Will Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Foundby Suketu Mehta work for option 1? There is a palace sort of building on the cover"

The huge buildings will work, so yes. Just point them out when you post.

message 16: by Valerie (last edited Nov 24, 2013 07:27PM) (new)

Valerie | 422 comments Would The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg wrk for roll 1? The house on the cover

message 17: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) | 284 comments For option 3, does it have to be fiction? Or can i read a memoir where the author is writing about doing an activity i enjoy?

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Valerie wrote: "Would The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg wrk for roll 1? The house on the cover"

Sorry for not getting back to you! I just got home from vacation.

The house would be bigger than a person, so it will work. Just make sure to point out the house when you post.

~~~

Deana wrote: "For option 3, does it have to be fiction? Or can i read a memoir where the author is writing about doing an activity i enjoy?"

Memoirs are fine.

message 19: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments For 3- activity road trip How My Summer Went Up in Flames

for 5 Addition - stealing -Life After Theft

do these work?

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments JennRenee wrote: "For 3- activity road trip How My Summer Went Up in Flames

for 5 Addition - stealing -Life After Theft

do these work?"

Both should work. Enjoy!

message 21: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Would this work for 1?
Duplex by Kathryn Davis - The boat looks like it can hold 2 people, and the water body it's on is big enough as well.

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Chaitra wrote: "Would this work for 1?
Duplex by Kathryn Davis - The boat looks like it can hold 2 people, and the water body it's on is big enough as well."

It should work. The book looks really good, too!

message 23: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1695 comments Would this work for Option 1?

Escape from the Carnivale Escape from the Carnivale (Never Land Books, #1) by Dave Barry

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Wanda wrote: "Would this work for Option 1?

Escape from the CarnivaleEscape from the Carnivale (Never Land Books, #1) by Dave Barry"

Looks like a pretty big ship, so sure!

message 25: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 258 comments I wanted to clarify page count for this task. Will a book between 100 and 200 pages count? I did not see it under your task, just wanted to be sure. This would be for a dice roll of 6

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Kristine wrote: "I wanted to clarify page count for this task. Will a book between 100 and 200 pages count? I did not see it under your task, just wanted to be sure. This would be for a dice roll of 6"

Any book (those labeled "graphic novels" and "children's" included) that otherwise fit the SRC rules and are over 100 pages are acceptable for my task. I hope you enjoy whatever book you choose!

message 27: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 258 comments Thank you. I actually feel guilty using such a short book, lol. It was very good though, The Buddha in the Attic

message 28: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1145 comments For #1: Influx by Daniel Suarez (Skyscraper)

Not sure yet for #2

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Allison wrote: "For #1: Influx by Daniel Suarez (Skyscraper)

Not sure yet for #2"

This will work (looks good, too!). Enjoy!

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7788 comments for 5) Rage - deals with her addiction to cutting herself to deal with problems...would that work?

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Dee wrote: "for 5) Rage - deals with her addiction to cutting herself to deal with problems...would that work?"

This will work. Thanks for recommending this series, too--I just need to find a place for the books.

message 32: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 244 comments Would this count for roll 1? The Englor Affair (Sci-Regency #2) by J.L. Langley
There is moon/planet in the background. I know it's big enough, but I want to check if it's visible enough to count. ☺

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I am trying to pick a book for Option 2

I looked up Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

but could someone tell me why it has two different ratings?

33262 ratings-->Here
56444 ratings-->Here

message 34: by MiA (new)

MiA (mirhershelf) | 118 comments On the cover of "The Night Circus", there's a tent put in a hand. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Does that qualify for clue#1 as a large object?

message 35: by SamZ (new)

SamZ (samwisezbrown) I rolled #3: an activity I enjoy. I love being a mom, does motherhood count as an activity?Covenant Motherhood

message 36: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1786 comments I rolled a 1 and a 6. Can I read City of Promise: A Novel of New York's Gilded Age for option 1, as it has a big bridge on it, which is large. Will this work?

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Marwa wrote: "On the cover of "The Night Circus", there's a tent put in a hand. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Does that qualify for clue#1 as a large object?"

Yes, that would work

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments I'm so sorry, everyone! Life has been so crazy since January that I've hardly had time for anything (and that's when I've had power x_x stupid snowstorms).

~~~~

Cindie wrote: "I rolled a 1 and a 6. Can I read City of Promise: A Novel of New York's Gilded Age for option 1, as it has a big bridge on it, which is large. Will this work?"

Big bridges count!

~~~~~

Sam wrote: "I rolled #3: an activity I enjoy. I love being a mom, does motherhood count as an activity?Covenant Motherhood"

Motherhood is definitely an activity. Glad you enjoy it!

message 39: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1786 comments No worries, MS Anderson! I am glad you are ok! We are suffering the crazy weather here too -- does not help already busy lives but it is fun to see how quickly the "unavoidable" appointments one can clear when the cause is the weather!! Hope things calm down for you soon!

message 40: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1786 comments One last question! (I think) Can I use books that are fewer than 250 pp (but more than 200) for this task? (I am thinking of option 6) One of my books is 212 pp and the other option is 224.

Thanks! Sorry to keep asking you things!

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Cindie wrote: "One last question! (I think) Can I use books that are fewer than 250 pp (but more than 200) for this task? (I am thinking of option 6) One of my books is 212 pp and the other option is 224.

Th..."

As I recall, the books just have to be longer than 100pgs, so over 200 is good, too!

message 42: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1786 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Cindie wrote: "One last question! (I think) Can I use books that are fewer than 250 pp (but more than 200) for this task? (I am thinking of option 6) One of my books is 212 pp and the other opt..."

thanks!