What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror
This topic is about Fear
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA?, Fiction, Sci-fi?, collection of short stories, one with Asian teenage graffiti artist, another set in a futuristic world about a boy with an "astronaut" dad [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by eevee (last edited Oct 15, 2014 10:47PM) (new) - added it

eevee | 7 comments The stories I'm thinking of are from a collection of short stories. I'm fairly certain they're from the same collection. Might be from The Bus Driver Who Wanted to Be God and Other Stories, b/c they both left me with a similar impression so maybe flip through the book if you have it.

The main character in the first story is an Asian(maybe Chinese) teenager who sneaks out to spray paint graffiti sometimes. Her friend is a guy who is good with computers, etc. I forgot how or why but she has to trap/fight/kill demon(s). I think it might have been something her ancestors do and she inherited the family job. Her friend knows/finds out/is told. I'm not sure if it was just one demon they had to fight or if it was one of the many they will have to fight. They capture their first demon by (view spoiler).

In the other story, the main character is a boy, probably in high school and his dad is an astronaut. The setting is futuristic and I think space travel is more common. Despite that, it still seems fairly dangerous because his dad was about to go and investigate either 1) a newly discovered planet/other celestial object that has yet to be explored or 2)a mysterious celestial object where no one came back from previous exploration attempts. The ending is definitely the most defining feature in the story. (view spoiler)

I think I read them about 5 years ago.

The only genre I can be sure about for the overall book is fiction and maybe sci-fi. I'm going to assume the targeted age range was 15-18.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments When did you read it? Remember anything about the cover?

message 3: by eevee (last edited Jan 05, 2015 02:23PM) (new) - added it

eevee | 7 comments Bump.
Accidentally deleted my response. ._. I read it about five years ago in 2008? but I don't remember anything about the cover.

message 4: by eevee (new) - added it

eevee | 7 comments bump

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
Ivy, are you still looking for this?

message 6: by eevee (new) - added it

eevee | 7 comments Technically yes ;;

message 7: by Tab (last edited Jul 11, 2015 02:49PM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror Fear 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror by R.L. Stine may be the book. One of the reviews on Amazon described one of the stories in the book as below:

'Tagger' by James Rollins (about a Chinese girl dipping into her roots to destroy a demon intent on destroying her).

message 8: by eevee (new) - added it

eevee | 7 comments !!!! wow, i think it is! i almost gave up on it; thank you so much!