Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > New series read?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2150 comments Mod
Anyone interested in reviving the group series read? In the spoiler thread for Ysabel a few people expressed an interest in reading Kay's Fionavar Tapestry trilogy together (first book is The Summer Tree).

message 2: by Candiss (last edited Nov 16, 2013 06:26PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Shel, since I seem to be the first mod to notice this thread, I shot Stefan and Nick a message to draw their attention to it. That way we can determine how to proceed, find out how many members would be interested, etc. :)

Either they'll reply here or I'll update.

message 3: by Andreas (new)

Andreas | 84 comments I'd go for it :)

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Nov 17, 2013 08:11AM) (new)

Kathi | 3111 comments Mod
I'd go for it, too. :)

Edited to add that when we read Transformation, some of us did an informal series read to finish the trilogy. If nothing else, we could do that.

message 5: by Helen (last edited Nov 17, 2013 12:24PM) (new)

Helen I'd love to read those, sadly unavailable for my kindle. I suppose I could get paperbacks.

Discovered that UKs largest book seller can't stock them and Amazon has them at £32. Not sure why they are so hard to get hold of.

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Helen, for that price you could probably order them from the US Amazon site and have them shipped overseas much cheaper!

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments They're available from The Book Depository that ships world wide:

http://www.bookdepository.com/search?...

message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

They may also be available through Better World Books (new or used), free shipping worldwide.

www.betterworldbooks.com

message 9: by Helen (last edited Nov 18, 2013 11:36AM) (new)

Helen Been, looked, ordered. Thanks everyone. So, I'm up for the group read!

message 10: by Candiss (last edited Nov 18, 2013 03:55PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Hey, all. I huddled with Stefan and Nick on this, and the general consensus seems to be that the mods think it's a swell idea, but due to various time, health, family and other constraints, none of us will be able to run the thing right now.

So if someone here wants to organize things, post the threads (We'd put up a folder for that purpose, and you would post threads to go from there.) and keep up the momentum yourselves, it's a go. Hash things out here, decide what you want to do, when you want to start, a basic time-frame for tackling each book, and who will coordinate things as series runner, and we'll go from there. If you can figure that stuff out, I'll make a group announcement so that other members might get the itch to join, too, and will get a folder going for you.

Volunteer(s)? :)

message 11: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Update: Shel shot me a quick message saying she'd be happy to lead the discussion. I'll let her weigh in here when she's able to, but please still share your input, thoughts and ideas here so you all can coordinate and get things started.

message 12: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Hi all! Let's give people a month or two to get their hands on the books and then start? When we've done previous series reads, we've coordinated them to start on the 15th of the month to minimize conflict with our other book of the month discussions, so let's say... January 15th for book one The Summer Tree? Or is it better to wait until February 15? Open to input.

message 13: by Andreas (last edited Nov 19, 2013 01:06AM) (new)

Andreas | 84 comments Shel, thanks for moderating this.
Any such read will conflict with other group reads anyway. But I think, January 15th would be perfect - you can put the book on your Christmas wish list and don't have to wait too long to start reading it :)

message 14: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Nov 19, 2013 11:08AM) (new)

Shel wrote: "January 15th for book one The Summer Tree? Or is it better to wait until February 15? Open to input."

I vote for Jan. 15 while enthusiasm is still high.

And thank you, Shel, for offering to lead the discussion.

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen Thanks Shel, Jan is great with me :)

message 16: by Shel, Moderator (new)

January it is :)

message 17: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments When I send out the group announcement tomorrow for the first round polls, I'll include a link to this thread so that other members who might be interested can get on board, too. :)

message 18: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Cool!

message 19: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 501 comments Mod
I'm in!

message 20: by Misty (new)

Misty Ice (misty-dawn) | 4 comments Thanks so much for this!! How weird, I just joined the goodreads site today, & mentioned something about a Fianovar Tapestry discussion in my introduce yourself thread in another group. Must be serendipity! I read this series (Ill admit to not finishing last book) about four years ago. I cant think of another fantasy that affected me so. i dont care what some reviews say; its great!!! Im in!!

Shel wrote: "Hi all! Let's give people a month or two to get their hands on the books and then start? When we've done previous series reads, we've coordinated them to start on the 15th of the month to minimiz..."

message 21: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Welcome Misty! :)

message 22: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (brownmonkey) | 10 comments I'd like to be a part of the discussion. Already have the first two books!

message 23: by Helen (last edited Dec 20, 2013 11:54AM) (new)

Helen Collected my trilogy from the sorting office today, beautiful covers.

message 24: by Misty (new)

Misty Ice (misty-dawn) | 4 comments Let the adventure begin! I'll be diving into my old paperback copy tonight. Can't wait to get re acquainted!

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I've started finally getting into Summer Tree a few days ago after trying to read it for I think would be almost a year or so.

message 26: by Andreas (new)

Andreas | 84 comments Finally, all three novels arrived safely - I got them second handed. So, I'm ready to start reading it in January :)