The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Best of the Fall 2013 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17583 comments Mod
What were your favorite books of the Fall 2013 Challenge?

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 18, 2013 02:01PM) (new)

Perfect - same author as The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Beautifully told and often heart breaking.

Dark Matter - atmospheric psychological chiller set in the Arctic.

The Night Listener - part mystery, part exploration of one man's relationships. Faction inspired by Armistead Maupin's real life relationship with Anthony Godby Johnson

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - fantastic, informative and shocking

The Maul And The Pear Tree - non-fiction telling of The Ratcliffe Highway Murders with theories of who may have been guilty. Interesting read for those who enjoyed The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective

message 4: by Susan A (last edited Nov 19, 2013 12:35PM) (new)

Susan A Elect H. Mouse State Judge: A Novel. I picked this off the Millions list because it is short. I never would have picked this up otherwise. It was a wacky, fun read.

Scurvy: How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentlemen Solved the Greatest Medical Mystery of the Age of Sail Again - -forced to pick a non-fiction book. Who knew scurvy could be interesting?

Undertow and Spook Squad both from favorite series of mine

new to me authors
The Magpie Lord
Knight Errant

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments My two 5*

On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror, #5) by Karina Halle and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments The Time Between - how have I not found this author before now

also Southern Fried Blues for a cute/lite contemporary romance

message 8: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments The Last Man on Earth Club by Paul R. Hardy - This was the book that suprised me the most, perhaps because I really had not expected much, but this story of survival and resposibilities touched me.

The Violent Century by Lavie Tidhar - A story about Heroes, love and WW2, and what is important in life.

Heartsick (Gretchen Lowell, #1) by Chelsea Cain - What's not to like in this story about a sick killer, and the even sicker relationship between a police officer and the serial killer he helped put behind the bars.

message 9: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments mine 5 stars:
In the Shadow of the Banyan by Vaddey Ratner
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay
Crimson China by Betsy Tobin

message 10: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 161 comments My Favorites so far:
On the Island (On the Island, #1) by Tracey Garvis-Graves & Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

message 11: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown - loved

other 5 stars:
Endgame (Sirantha Jax, #6) by Ann Aguirre Wait for You (Wait for You, #1) by J. Lynn Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5) by Stacia Kane Latakia by J.F. Smith Zombie Fallout 3 The End (Zombie Fallout, #3) by Mark Tufo

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments Must add The Green-Eyed Monster by Mike Robinson The Green-Eyed Monster. This was a mind trip. Had it on my Kindle for just under a year and finally read it:) Disturbing, creepy kids and a mysterious "Grandfather."

message 13: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 161 comments ThTy wrote: "How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown - loved

other 5 stars:
Endgame (Sirantha Jax, #6) by Ann AguirreWait for You (Wait for You, #1) by J. LynnWrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5) by Stacia Kane[bookcover:L..."

The Pluto read sounds interesting. I just added it!

I loved, Wait for Me!

message 14: by Janice (last edited Nov 26, 2013 12:03PM) (new)

Janice  | 658 comments My five stars for the fall season were:

The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony

In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke

Along the Enchanted Way: A Story of Love and Life in Romania by William Blacker

The Zoo That Never Was by R.D. Lawrence
This one may be a bit hard to find, but if you love nature books, it is worth the search. I'm going to read anything written by Mr. Lawrence that I can get my hands on.

message 15: by Diane Whitney (last edited Nov 26, 2013 04:34PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments The Best Books I read for this challenge -
Me Before You
The Fault in Our Stars
To Kill a Mockingbird

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments I absolutely loved The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney by Stef Penney. I understand some of the criticisms about the writing style (too many POV's, confusing use of verb tense, etc.) but I've never read characters like this before -- and for them to be in a frontier story of 1867 is remarkable.

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3435 comments Nick wrote: "I absolutely loved The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney by Stef Penney. I understand some of the criticisms about the writing style (too many POV's, confusing use of verb ten..."
I've got this one slotted in for a winter task so it's good to get a positive recommendation.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments i've heard good things about that one Nick...might have to check it out - thanks!

message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
My 5 stars for the Fall 2013 season:

Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain Tolstoy and the Purple Chair My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Mendel's Dwarf by Simon Mawer (this last one might be because I'm a genetics geek - nonetheless, terrific book.....)

message 22: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments My 5 Stars books for Fall 2013 were:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy Guests of the Ayatollah The Iran Hostage Crisis The First Battle in America's War with Militant Islam by Mark Bowden The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe Triptych (Will Trent, #1) by Karin Slaughter Black Beauty by Anna Sewell Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Fallen (Will Trent, #5) by Karin Slaughter

message 23: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 507 comments Favorite books Fall 2013

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple Misery by Stephen King Life 101 by Peter McWilliams Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

message 24: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments 5 Stars:

Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury Cartwheel A Novel by Jennifer Dubois If He Had Been With Me by Laura Nowlin The Execution of Noa P. Singleton A Novel by Elizabeth L. Silver Heading Out To Wonderful by Robert Goolrick

I can't say enough how much I loved If He Had Been With Me. It makes me sad just thinking about that one.

I really enjoyed Cartwheel as well. I didn't follow the Amanda Knox case, so don't have a point of comparison, but really enjoyed the writing and story.

message 27: by Denise (new)

Denise | 213 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "The Best Books I read for this challenge -
Me Before You
The Fault in Our Stars
To Kill a Mockingbird"

I loved Me Before You.