What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Blindsided
This topic is about Blindsided
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Girl starts to go blind. Sent to school to learn braille etc. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (last edited Nov 16, 2013 12:27AM) (new)

Fiona Curtis (fionacurtis) | 15 comments Read this a few years ago, not particularly new but not too old either. Smallish book, 150-200 pages, quite immature in terms of style, main character about 12 as I remember.

Plot
I remember A LOT about this book. The main character is a 12(ish) year old girl who has had bad eyesight since birth. She is told by a doctor that she will (100% probability) loose her sight within about 6 months.

The girl is sent to a boarding school to learn braille, learn to use a walking stick, learn to count steps to places (like 100 steps down the corridor until the bathrooms etc.)and to learn self defense in case criminals try to attack them because they are blind.

The girl is very opposed to listening/learning any of these skills because she is stubborn that she will not loose her sight, despite the evidence that it is getting smaller each day.

At one point the author describes the girl noticing her sight is now "about the width of a drinking straw" and another blind character I remember was a boy who could only see through his peripheral vision, and so had to swing his head in circles to read a sentence on the board.

I also remember the girl using the window in her home bathroom as a 'sight test' each morning, where she would tell herself "If i can still see the rose bush and the garden shed, I still have good sight" and the terrifying moment when she noticing she can no longer see these things.

The 'climax' if you could call it that, was the 'test' that all students eventually went through to 'graduate' where they had to walk down the street to a pedestrian crossing and cross it without assistance. The girl took her test on the same day as an Indian boy (who became a minor love interest).

There was quite a dramatic scene where the girl and her friend ended up sneaking out of school to go to the town shops to 'prove' that they were capable or something similar. Some drunk men tried to kidnap the girls and there was a large fight scene until the police arrived (i think)

Gratitude
I LOVED this book when I read it and thought it was extremely interesting to learn about the character going blind, it made me really appreciate my sight and feel petrified and extremely sorry for the main character. ANY HELP AT ALL would completely make my day.
Thanks in advance :D

message 2: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2516 comments http://www.librarything.com/catalog/b...

Any of these?

What year did you read it?

message 3: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2516 comments http://books.google.com.au/books/abou...

Or this?

Blindsided by Priscilla Cummings

Liralen | 712 comments Definitely Blindsided.

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Curtis (fionacurtis) | 15 comments YES! IT IS BLINDSIDED :D
Thank you Bookel and Liralen, very helpful!

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2516 comments Ah good to see this is marked solved! I don't know why my update feed is being left unticked, when it was automatically ticked ever since I joined...
Enjoy re-reading it! I've wondered previously whether it was worth reading, as some reviews seem to criticise it.

message 7: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2516 comments If you enjoyed that, I recommend the following (keep in mind the date written, technologies etc. have changed a lot, but they're still great stories!):

Light a single candle by Beverly Butler
Gift of gold by Beverly Butler (sequel)
Mystery at Camp Triumph by Mary Blount Christian
Guide Dog by Dorothy Clewes
Jessica's Dying Light by Jan Kenneth
One Step at a Time by Deborah Kent
Taking The Lead by Deborah Kent
A Walk in the Dark by Joyce Stranger
The Cay by Theodore Taylor
Timothy of the Cay by Theodore Taylor (sequel)
The World of Ben Lighthart by Jaap ter Haar
The Lake Is on Fire by Maureen Crane Wartski
Is Chelsea Going Blind? by Alida E. Young

The View Beyond My Father by Mabel Esther Allan
The Seeing Summer by Jeannette Eyerly
Someone Like Me by Elaine Forrestal
Half The Battle by Lynn Hall
A capital trap by Ron Karley
Belonging by Deborah Kent
Eye in the Storm by Judy Nunn
Eye in the City by Judy Nunn (sequel)
Wild Horse Summer by Hope Ryden
A Girl's Best Friend by Harriet May Savitz
Into the Dark by Nicholas Wilde
The Devil's Cauldron by David Wiseman
Dead End Bluff by Elizabeth Witheridge

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Curtis (fionacurtis) | 15 comments Wow thanks for all the suggestions! I'll add them to my list to look for at the library :D

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blindsided (other topics)