This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate Oprah.

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) My brother claims she is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, Oprah, Martha Stewart, Barbara Walters and... It seems that once we know who the fourth is, the world is going to end in hell fire or something equally interesting.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Ann Coulter, got to be Number Four

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Dude, Barbara Streisand is totally number four.

And yeah, I feel the same way about Oprah and her Book Club. I hate that she made Anna Karenina part of her club. That was a real good try at killing my love for that book. Stay away from actually good books, Oprah!!

message 4: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) I liked Oprah in the beginning... but she is so full of herself I can't stand it. And her minions are even worse: Dr. Phil quack of the universe, Rachel Ray with a mouth like a sea bass... her entire world makes me cry for America.

message 5: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Rachel Ray started on Oprah? God Damn It! Now I have to hate her... Dr. Phil was an easy one, he is a rediculous man.

message 6: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) My mom loves Dr. Phil. She is constantly quoting him as if he is somehow a viable psychotheraputic voice of wisdom. It makes me perfectly insane. I almost become Lizzie Borden when my mother starts in on the Dr. Phil crap. One of these days.... to the moon!

shellyindallas Thank you!

I hate how it's so hard to be an Oprah hater! That kool-aid she serves must be some strong shit because when I publicly announce I can't stand her ass people look at me like my skin is falling off!

I hate how she repeats the most inane witticisms/proverb type shit her guest say like it's something we all need to stew on:
" Wait--let's say that again..'It is better to give than to receive'. Wow...Powerful stuff"

I don't care about her best friend, or her dogs, or her personal trainer, or her favorite things, or 'good friends' like Maya Angelou and John Travolta.

There's more, but I'm getting irritated just thinking about how much influence she has despite what a huge idiot she is!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I hate Oprah too. I hate that she put her stupid, ugly sticker on my favorite book, East of Eden. I hate that when she actually chooses a good book and I'm seen reading it in public, sticker or no, people think that I'm an Oprah person.

I hate that she bitched and whined that Hermes wouldn't let her in after hours and tried to play the race card. As if the majority of her fan base can afford Hermes to begin with. It made her seem pretentious and entitled and I think it worked AGAINST the race cause.

message 9: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I guess I'm lucky that way, most people I know see that she is an idiot as well. My grandmother loved Dr. Phil, but she was 80 and we think maybe not getting enough oxygen at the time.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate Oprah too, but I'd totally hit it just to say "I hit Oprah!".

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I also hate that it's kind of hard to hate anything that gets people to read more. So I hate her book club and I don't hate her book club. And I hate that.

message 12: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) You don't have time to hit anything playa!

message 13: by mara (last edited Feb 08, 2008 12:20PM) (new)

mara I have neutral feelings about Oprah herself. However I do hate that no one ever articulates what exactly it is that they hate about Oprah's book club

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Seriously? Did you just compare Oprah to a serf? Oprah the queen, the empress, with millions of crying women at her beck and call?

I don't think so!

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I hate her book club and avoid anything on it because it's just another one of her sickening ways of turning American women into her own little brainwashed Stepford people...ich, makes my skin crawl - and not in a good way!

And Steve, you're full of shit.

Donald, give me a break, the mental picture alone of Oprah naked with Steve is enough to take the humor out of any thread...

message 16: by Sarah (last edited Feb 08, 2008 12:31PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The mental picture alone of Oprah naked, period, is enough to make me lose my lunch. And I haven't even eaten lunch yet. But I could lose yesterday's lunch.

Actually, it might be enough to erase the image from my mind of Rosie O'Donnell naked with Julian McMahon's hot ass.

message 17: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Thanks Sarah, I needed a laugh after all that other thread...

message 18: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong Oh Fuck!!! Now you did it! You gave me the visual, it's in there forever and I hate you for that... I will get you back:

Oprah and Rosie O'Donnell wrestling naked in gefilte fish jelly, with the midget from Austin Powers refing, and a leather clad Dr. Phil spanking the loser with a fluorescent pink canoe paddle. Get that out of your little mind!

Bwahahahahahaha...

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate the fact that somewhere out there in the afterlife, poor ol' John Steinbeck is having to put up with the constant ribbing of "Nobel Prize? Bah! A unique voice in the history of American letters? P'Shaw! Ol' John here's the one who brought Oprah's Book Club back!"

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Feb 08, 2008 12:58PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Poor Johnny. My favorite author.

Oh, you lucky, lucky people. I wanted so much to link a video of that Nip/Tuck episode but it seems to have been erased from the internet. If only I could erase it from my memory.

Question for the fellas and the lesbians out there: How much would Rosie O'Donnell have to pay you to sleep with her? And for you straight ladies, how much would you pay Julian McMahon to sleep with him?

message 21: by Bryan (new)

Bryan >>I hate her book club and avoid anything on it because it's just another one of her sickening ways of turning American women into her own little brainwashed Stepford people...ich, makes my skin crawl - and not in a good way!

Oprah isn't capable of brain-washing anyone. If indeed women follow her as mindlessly as you say, it's because they respond to what she's saying and CHOOSE to. It's possible -- bear with me, I know this is a crazy argument, but it's just possible -- that Oprah has built credibility with her audience over the years and they actually ENJOY the stuff she recommends.

message 22: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Do you watch Oprah bryan?

message 23: by Bryan (new)

Bryan No, I find the show unwatchable for various reasons -- the 3 mins of content/5 mins of commercial format, little interest or affinity for the stuff she talks about, her earth mother persona, etc.

But while I don't connect with her, millions do and there's something amazing about that. To me, phenomenon like that can't be brushed aside as mere "brain-washing."

shellyindallas I hate Oprah, therefore I hate Oprah's book club. It's not the idea of or existence of Oprah's bookclub that is so upsetting--it's the idea of and existence of Oprah. And her dumb stamp with her big fat initial that she loves to plaster all over everything (including the uniforms, pillows, notebooks, towels, and everything else in her fancy African school that she built there instead of here because 'all American kids care about are their ipods and computers' [at least she said something to that effect])is particularly annoying because when you want to purchase a book with that stamp it looks like you are interested in the book solely because Oprah's interested in the book. And yeah, I shouldn't give a shit what people think--but I do.

message 25: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Steve... ahhh ha ha ha ha... I hit Oprah.... oh man... that's some funny shit.

message 26: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Yeah, whenever Howard Stern does a take-down of her outsized ego it's always hilarious. Then again, Howard criticizing someone else for being a megalomaniac is a wee bit ridiculous.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Larsen (thefoz) I hate that Oprah shoves her putrid face and insipid name on every known media. A face which she buries underneath a thick plastering of cover-up, like she’s the 5th member of Kiss. I hate having to see that hideous face at the check stand, on every effing issue of her ridiculous magazine. I hate her “Favorite Things” list – all useless, overpriced crap from corrupt corporations that pay for her blessing. I hate the Church of Oprah, and the religious zealots that blindly follow an egocentric leader. I hate Oprah’s insufferable preaching that ignorant housewives follow, like it’s the divine word of a god.

I do, however, love the fact that Oprah will always be fat. No matter how many workouts, no matter how many diets, and no how many surgeries… she’ll always be a big ol’ fat fatty.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleellen) I don't actually hate Oprah's book club itself. I hate everyone who voraciously digests every book that Oprah announces simply because Oprah says it's worth reading. Get your own brain people! Read what you want when you want to! Not because some egotistical billionaire told you that you should.

And I refuse to buy any book that has her stupid stamp on it. I will go out of my way to buy that book without the stamp. And it's not because I care whether people think that it's the only reason I bought the book or not, I just don't want to advertise for her book club.

Wow, bitter much? Apparently I feel very strongly about this!

message 29: by Bryan (new)

Bryan >>I don't actually hate Oprah's book club itself. I hate everyone who voraciously digests every book that Oprah announces simply because Oprah says it's worth reading. Get your own brain people!

Well, that's how book clubs work. Someone chooses a book and others, because they want to participate in the conversation, follow suit and read. Are all book club members brainless?

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Okay haters, I must admit while I don't watch Oprah I can't hate her. I've read numerous books she's spoken about and I feel that anything to get people reading is good. How can book loving haters hate that people are at least reading? It could be their transition into reading other books you wouldn't hate so much.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Jenn, I feel the same way for other people. But I don't want to read a book with an Oprah sticker on it.

message 32: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Well King that might not be true for you or I, but trust me there are thousands of people out there that wouldn't have opened a book if Oprah didn't recommend it. I imagine some of them hadn't read a real book in many years. Sad.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.