This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

I hate people who think they can write./Why do my signed books suck???!!!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) So you've got your own website. That's cool.

So you've got a coupla your stories on the site. That's cool. I might read one and see if you're any good.

Oh, you're printing a book of stories? That's cool. Good luck with that.

*read story*

Hey, I read your story.

Oh, you want to know what I think of your story?

Well... you have some major grammatical errors, but those would be fixed by a good editor.

Your characters are pretty flat. I mean, all I know about Frank is that he hates his wife's mother who lives with them but you only explain this in one bit of dialogue when he curses her out. You should flesh this out a bit.

And the plot has some major holes in it. I don't really "believe" what's going on, even after I suspend my disbelief.

The first part was good. I read for about 3 pages before wondering when the real action was going to start so maybe you could move that up a bit.

Wait, what? You asked for my opinion of your story. I just gave it to you. You called me a bitch and said I obviously don't know what good literature is.

Disregarding the fact that I actually went to school for Creative Writing so while I may not be a good writer myself, I would like to think that I, at the very least, know what good literature is. (And I would hope that everyone who went to college or even graduated high school would at least know what "good literature" entails.)

And even if I didn't, I made good points and you can either take them gracefully, thank me for reading your story, and move on, or you can throw a hissy-fit because I didn't go all "OMG that was sooo kewl like I totally see Stephen King in your work and you are going to be so famous one day!! loves it!"

I hate ungrateful authors who really aren't any good anyways. If you never listen to any construct criticism, how are you ever going to improve?

On a sidenote, I really hate that out of my collection of signed books, only two didn't suck. One was Ray Bradbury, and the other one Anchee Min. The rest of the signed books I own were terrible.

UGH. It's been a long day.

message 2: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Yeah what is it with people? They just cannot take any criticism. And those creative types are the worst. You'd think they are prepared for a few harsh but true words, but no. So high and mighty. Sheesh.

I'm really sorry Angabel. But at the same time I'm glad you've come here to spread hate. Well done.

message 3: by Lori (last edited Jun 03, 2009 02:51PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Ive gotten free books sent to me from goodread authors in the past, greatful to get a moderator of a large group to review it, hoping it would be favorable.... and of course, they sign them with cute little one liners.... har-har.. in hopes of ingratiating themselves to me...

And when that doesnt work, and the writing is atrocious, and the plot is bland, and the characters have less life than a pc of cardboard, and I compliment their title and their cover because really, that is ALL there is to pay compliment to, I am not understanding where the pissiness comes from either!

Why would I put my integrity on the line, and lead my trusting, faithful group members to a shitty ass book that would be a complete waste of their time AND money, just because you WANTED me to like it...

Shit! Perhaps if you actually WROTE something worth the day and a half I spent on it... I WOULD say something nice...

Angabel, I totally hear you on this one!

Note to author: If you dont want honesty, just dont publish the fucking thing!

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) I was once verbally attacked on the internet (oh noes) because I left an honest review of a book on amazon.com.

I don't mind if people can't write, because really, writing is difficult.

What I mind is when no one bothers to tell them/they do not search for people to tell them what's wrong with their work and how to improve. It gives you a ton of crap writers who think they're good because their friends and family think they are.

So, I guess I also hate the friends and family who either don't know bad writing when they're reading it, or are too... I don't know, SOMEthing... to tell the person maybe they shouldn't quit their day job.

I also hate people who don't realize or don't understand that I obey the golden rule. I treat other people's writings on the internet like I want mine to be treated. Which means: I want to hear what the person likes (specifically), and I want to hear what the person doesn't like and their reasoning. Then I'll consider their advice, and abandon or take it as needed.

I once told someone that I really liked their poem but they should change the word "take" to "rip" (they were talking about someone screaming obscenities while "taking" his microphone off) and the person responded by telling me to NEVER leave them a comment again and they banned me from their personal journal.

I don't normally say this, but I don't really care how they reacted because dammit, I AM RIGHT. "Rip" is a stronger word.

Would it be bad taste to name names? "Dear Such-and-Such Author, your books sucks and this is why. I hate that you did this but not that and, above all else, wanted me to give you a good review."