The Reading Rainbow Coalition discussion

Book Dump: Suggestions > Book the Sixth and the Seventh

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Coalition Overlord (new)

Denise | 120 comments Mod
OK, so I'm kind of thinking that 2 books a month might be a little ambitious so let's bring it back down to one (unless there is a tie).

Here's a list of last month's suggested books -- I omitted books that got no votes and also, obviously, books we have already read. If you want to see another book in here please suggest away!

Where Angels Fear to Tread The Zygan Emprise Book
Vurt
Snow Crash
The City & the City

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike | 18 comments I would like to read Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. In some ways it's very similar to The Road, World War Z, and Slaughterhouse Five, in that it's about a person going through an apocalyptic situation. In Holden Caulfield's case, though, it's a personal apocalypse and not the end of the world or a city. It also more realistic and a great counterpoint to post WWII prosperity boom. It's about a guy who is basically lost and falling apart in the biggest city in the world during one of the most prosperous eras in American History.

message 3: by Kristi (last edited Jun 01, 2009 10:40AM) (new)

Kristi (firefly99) | 27 comments I'm gonna propose Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. It's one of my favorite books.

If we did want to do two books, one could be more of a kids book, like Coraline or The Graveyard Book, both of which are by Gaiman. They're very short, quick reads, but are really good.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 18 comments The Graveyard Book is very good. So is Neverwhere. I haven't read Coraline yet, but from what I've seen, I'm sure it would be a great second book, also.

message 5: by Denise, Coalition Overlord (new)

Denise | 120 comments Mod
@Kristy - short books as a second book sounds fair!

I'm sorry to say that I haven't read as much Gaiman as I probably should have by now. Good Omens has been the only one.

Catcher is an excellent suggestion. It's still one of my favorite books.

message 6: by Dram (new)

Dram | 21 comments I will support Neverwhere, because Sandman changed my life.

message 7: by Wilson (new)

Wilson Buck (kravstorm) | 3 comments I too will support Neverwhere. It is a good book and a quick read.