Who's Your Author? discussion

Urban Fantasy Writers > Cassandra Clare

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Has anyone read City of Bones? And if so, how was it? Worth the read?

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments It's on my list of books to read but I haven't gotten to it yet. I've heard good things about the series though.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I've heard lots of people who say they like it, but I did not. I thought the basic plot was good, but I found the writing style very juvenile. I couldn't make myself like the characters, and I hated a big twist that comes at the end.

It all depends on what you're looking for when you read. I'd say find it in your library. Give it 20 pgs or so, and keep reading if you like it.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I just read it last week and I liked it, but I didn't love it. I felt some of the relationships were a bit forced and that we didn't get to know the characters well enough. I liked that she chose to include two different issues not often dealt with in YA books, but then was disappointed when she glossed right over them instead of addressing them. All of these complaints may be rectified in the next two books, which I own, so I'm not willing to judge the series as a whole yet. So, while I don't think the fist book lived up to the hype, I'm holding out to see if the series does.

message 5: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I'm about halfway through the first one so far and am really enjoying it! I really like Jace and I'm not really sure why! He can be such a jerk, but I really like him!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Okay, I read City of Ashes yesterday and immediately picked up City of Glass. The series definitely seems to improve as it goes along. And most of the issues I had with the first book were dealt with in the second.

message 7: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Wow! I finished City of Bones and am halfway through City of Ashes. I am loving this series! I mean, yeah there are a few things that I would change, but overall I'm enjoying it. I am freaking out though about the situation with Jace and Clary. Not going to say anything more than that because I don't want to spoil things for others. I actually already picked up City of Glass and I am having the hardest time not letting myself turn to the last chapter of that to see if certain issues get resolved!

lol, this has been a weird reading week for me actually. I keep flipping back and forth between this series and the Wicked Lovely series. I really should finish one series before starting another, but it never seems to work out that way!

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I haven't read Tithe but I seem to see it everywhere. Maybe I should give that a shot next!

Also, If I had to wait a couple of months before reading City of Glass I would be reading the spoiler reviews too! There's now way that I could make myself wait that long for some answers when I know there is a way to find them out right now!!!

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments I love the Cassandra Clare series, it is one of my favorites of all time. I just read the teaser from her next book The Clockwork Princess, it was cool.
I also liked Tithe! I have heard of lots of people who didn't like Holly's series, but I think it's great. It's like the grunge of fairy stories!

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments The second story, Valiant, is sort of like Ink Exchange is to Wicked Lovely. Same world, but different characters. Roiben and Kaye make cameo appearances, but that's about it.
By the way, did any of you who've read both Cassandra Clare and Holly Black's book notice that there are scene's in their books where they mention each other's characters??

message 11: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Alright! You've got me convinced. I'll have to run to the library today and pick up that series.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments Do it! In Tithe you will recognize the scene with Brother Jeremiah bringing Jace and Clary to the Bone City.

message 13: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments One of the things that is really intriguing to me in this series are all of the different types of family ties. It seems to make you really think about what makes someone a parent? What makes someone a brother or sister? What's more important, blood or love? It even brings up the whole nature vs nurture debate. That's something that I've really enjoyed. I mean, for me personally, there are some things that ring true. I am adopted and don't really know anything about my biological parents. I've always wondered what it would be like to meet them, get to know them, become friends. I've also always wondered what it might be like to have a friend or someone in my life that I later found out was actually biologically related to me. That's one aspect of this series that I am really enjoying!

message 14: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Loved City of Glass! What a great conclusion to a great series!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I agree! I finished it earlier in the week and I really enjoyed it. Any reservations I had with the first book and it brushing over issues with Alec and then Clary and Jace were all resolved by the end of the series and I thought it was brilliant!

message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I just went and checked out Cassandra Clare's website because I was wondering if she was going to write another book,

Here's what I found out. She is currently working on another 3 books that are prequals to this series. They take place about 145 years earlier and are called the Infernal Devices series. She also mentioned that she is starting to develop another novel with Simon as the main character! :) That news made me happy!

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just started this series after a lot of waiting, but I'm definitely liking it.

Although, I did read some weird stuff about the author. I don't read fanfiction, but there were a lot of people saying that she plagiarized from her own fanfiction or from someone else's fanfiction.

Anyone know anything more about this subject??

message 18: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I've heard that rumor as well, but personally I would think that if there was any evidence of any truth to that someone would be taking her to court. I've never read fanfiction either, so I'm not really sure how that all works and who it is that she supposedly stole from.

I hear so many times when a series gets popular that the author supposedly copied someone elses idea. Who knows who's telling the truth!

But I really enjoyed the series and am happy that you are liking it!

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah I'm really enjoying it.. I love Jace!!! He's so cute lol.

I read that people say when she was writing her fanfiction she plagiarized from other well known authors like JK Rowling.. and then something about her published stories are just repeats of her fanfiction. Something like that. I don't really get it.

message 20: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments I love the Mortal Instrument series, and I am so excited because she has decided to make a 4th one! City of The Fallen Angels... I think. And she is releasing Her Infernal Devices series (Shadow hunter series before MI) comes out next year!

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This book is going to be a part of the Mortal Instruments series?? Damn.. I waited to read the trilogy so I wouldn't have to wait in between books. I Just finished them a few days ago!!! argg. lol.

I like how it ended though, I hope she doesn't mess it up.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments At her signing in London a couple of months ago, she hinted that she wanted to write Simon's story. I just popped over to her livejournal page and found the following:

New York, NY, August 24, 2009—Margaret K. McElderry Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, has acquired City of Fallen Angels, a fourth book in Cassandra Clare’s bestselling young adult fantasy series, The Mortal Instruments, which has over 1 million books in print. The story follows Simon, a character from the first three Mortal Instruments novels, City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass, as he adjusts to life as a vampire. City of Fallen Angels will publish in hardcover in March 2011, followed by a paperback edition in July 2012.

Love, blood, betrayal and revenge — the stakes are higher than ever in City of Fallen Angels. Simon Lewis is having some trouble adjusting to his new life as a vampire, especially now that he hardly sees his best friend Clary, who is caught up in training to be a Shadowhunter—and spending time with her new boyfriend Jace. Not to mention that Simon doesn't quite know how to handle the pressure of not-quite-dating two girls at once. What's a daylight-loving vampire to do? Simon decides he needs a break and heads out of the city—only to discover that sinister events are following him. Realizing that the war they thought they'd won might not yet be over, Simon has to call on his Shadowhunter friends to save the day — if they can put their own splintering relationships on hold long enough to rise to the challenge.

“Simon has always been one of my favorite characters to write about, and I’m excited to get the chance to tell his story while revisiting some of the other characters that I love form The Mortal Instruments series,” said Cassandra Clare. “The enthusiasm for telling Simon’s story that I’ve received from the team at McElderry Books and Simon & Schuster has been great and I’m excited to be working with them to bring a fourth book to the series.”

And the secret she hinted about at the signing did turn out as we suspect, and The Mortal Instruments have been optioned for filming:

(And the one everyone's been waiting for . . . ) A lot of you already have intimations of this announcement, given that it was mentioned in Variety and other news outlets — but I wanted to wait until all the contracts were signed and the ink was dry before I said anything. So: the film rights to The Mortal Instruments have been optioned by Unique Features. This is a film production company set up by former founders and co-presidents of New Line Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, who oversaw the production of the Lord of the Rings movies — probably my favorite fantasy movies of all time. They're very dedicated to fantasy and they understand it, and I definitely trust them with the story of the Mortal Instruments.

Now, a book series being optioned doesn't mean a film is being made right now or is definitely going to be made at all — it means that the studio or production company in question is developing the books as a film project — right now they've nailed down financing and a screenwriter (I don't know who that is yet) and are working towards the next stages in the development project. It is, however, an important step in the movie-making process, so I feel like it's okay to be excited about it. :)

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments ooooohhh!! Sounds good!

message 24: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments I loved this series! I read City of Bones when it first came out .... a few years ago? When I read City of Glass I was so sad that it was over but Clare is writing a prequel series called The infernal Devices AND a 4th Immortal Instruments called City of Fallen Angels! YAY!

I couldn't really tell you what exactly this series has that makes me love it. It's a combination of things. I loved how Clarewasn't afriad to have some serious issues (not spoiling it) that most YA's won't touch. It made it different. The world was also very interesting.

message 25: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Amelia wrote: "I loved this series! I read City of Bones when it first came out .... a few years ago? When I read City of Glass I was so sad that it was over but Clare is writing a prequel series called The infer..."

Me too. Clare has been busy these days. With signing the movie over, to writing the infernal devices series, and to doing a FOURTH mortal instrument!! Yay.
Cant wait.

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 2 comments SAME! cant wait for the infernal devices and city of fallen angels to come out!!
the mortal instruments were AWESOME!!
loved it:)

message 27: by EmmaDenton (new)

EmmaDenton Nicki.n wrote: "SAME! cant wait for the infernal devices and city of fallen angels to come out!!
loved it:)"

when does it come out??? thats wat i wanna no

oh, and and i love magnus and jace and isabelle

message 28: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments emma wrote: "Nicki.n wrote: "SAME! cant wait for the infernal devices and city of fallen angels to come out!!
loved it:)"
when does it come out??? thats wat i wanna no
..."

I do believe that the infernal device book 1, comes out some time next year, and the fourth MI is in 2011.... sorry I do not know the specifics.

message 29: by EmmaDenton (new)

EmmaDenton 2011?!! :( no fair!

message 30: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments emma wrote: "2011?!! :( no fair!"

Im not exactly sure.... Lemme check!

message 31: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Yeah, the info on GR says it wont be out until March 2011!

message 32: by EmmaDenton (new)

EmmaDenton im gonna cry!!!! but at least march is my BD. so i can get it 4 free!

message 33: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments emma wrote: "im gonna cry!!!! but at least march is my BD. so i can get it 4 free!"

Lol. That's what I thought when Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy #5) was going to come out in April. I was like "Yay! There's a birthday present," But then they changed the release date to a month later!
D=

message 34: by EmmaDenton (new)

EmmaDenton lol, but mine is 3rd march so im not sure. do u no the day?

message 35: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Sorry it doesnt say on goodreads. I know one things: Can't wait!

message 36: by EmmaDenton (new)

EmmaDenton neither!!! i hope adrian and rose hook-up already!

message 37: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) her mortal instruments is one of my favourite series i love the world she creates cant wait to read her other series

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I just started this series and I CANNOT put it down, I really like it. It's different than a lot of books out there and although there were some issues that were 'glossed over' as a previous poster said, I think the story is a pretty original and fun one.

message 39: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) glad your liking this series it is one of my faves

message 40: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Has anybody read the chapter summaries that she has posted on her blog for MI #4? I have and it's gotten me sooooooo excited that I can't wait!!

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I haven't read it yet.

message 42: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4055 comments Kate wrote: "I just started this series and I CANNOT put it down, I really like it. It's different than a lot of books out there and although there were some issues that were 'glossed over' as a previous poster..."

It felt like a soap opera to me I was like what will happen next. The characters fell a little flat for me but I loved the plot. It reminds me of of others stories, and twisted them into something new, but that worked for me!

message 43: by Trace (new)

Trace (runetracey) Ive just finished reading Clockwork Angel. Its quite a good read. But I do think Will is very similar infact way to much the same as Jace from her other series!

message 44: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I still haven't read that one yet.. I need to go request that from my library.

message 45: by Angela (last edited Aug 21, 2011 12:55PM) (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 33 comments I loved the first three Mortal Instruments Books, but they should have ended this series as a trilogy. City of Fallen Angels should have been a spin-off in Simon's perspective and focusing more on the downworlders than the shadowhunters.

I would classify Cassandra Clare as YA Fantasy, not UF.

message 46: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Aug 21, 2011 01:09PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It takes place in a modern day city, so I'd lean more toward Urban Fantasy. I could see where it might possibly be considered a hybrid with epic fantasy, but too much of the series is modern for it to be a true traditional fantasy based story.

Fantasy/epic fantasy is an alternate world setting. There is mention of an alternate world in the city of Idris, but that part of the story doesn't show up until later in the series. The majority of the story takes place in New York, and there's magical additions happening within that context, but that happens/is allowed in UF.