The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Novels like DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments Hi everyone,
My daughter read and loved the DaVinci Code and is about to finish Angels and Demons. A friend has recommended the books of Steve Berry (The Templar Legacy, The Venetian Betrayal etc.) Can anyone recommend any other books she may enjoy?

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) well, Interred with Their Bones is kind of like...a Shakespearean Da Vinci Code, same plot type, but no knights templar.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The Assassini is one I've read that has been compared to The Da Vinci Code. I thought it was fairly good, although it's been a while since I've read it.

A better one dealing with the legend of the Grail, although interpreting it very differently is Labyrinth. It takes a little while to get into it (not the sprinting start of The Da Vinci Code), and there are a lot of things that come together right at the end, but it is VERY good.

message 4: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 98 comments Any of Raymond Khoury's books would work, especially The Last Templar. ( It was recently turned into a made-for-tv movie, but don't let that dissuade you from reading the book!)

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra Allan Folsom, the Machiavelli Covenant.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments Thank you all. I will pass these along.

message 7: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments I read a book by Sam Bourne - The Righteous Men and enjoyed it. Very similar to Dan Brown.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Check out my shelf... all books Ive read that are similiar to DaVinci... when I went through my christian/conspiracy lit phase!!

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison I have never actually read these books, but they are on my TBR because they sound similar to Da Vinci.
The Book of Fate
The Book of Lies

They seem to be centered more around politics than the church, but still deal with conspiracy and such.

message 10: by Leila (last edited May 30, 2009 08:17AM) (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) I also want to say thank you for the recs here :) I never read thriller or these kind of books but I enjoyed Da Vinci Code and A&D. I think it's because I have something for religious conspiracy lit (and I'm not even interested in religion, history, mystery/thriller) hehe :)

message 12: by Andreea (last edited May 30, 2009 11:00AM) (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 117 comments Jamie wrote: "The Name of the Rose" or Foucault's Pendulum

Dan Brown drew inspiration from both of them when he wrote his novels, or so I've heard.

message 13: by El (new)

El Andreea wrote: "Dan Brown drew inspiration from both of them when he wrote his novels, or so I've heard."

Yikes, I hadn't heard that before. I think the main difference, though, is Umberto Eco draws his inspiration from real history and religion.

message 14: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Mary wrote: "Hi everyone,
My daughter read and loved the DaVinci Code and is about to finish Angels and Demons. A friend has recommended the books of Steve Berry (The Templar Legacy, The Venetian Betrayal etc..."

Hehe, drats, I was going to mention Steve Berry...my mum (who's into the same books as your daughter) loves James Rollins's books. Your daughter may enjoy his work as well :)

message 15: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) Your daughter may like these two books which are similar in that they are adventures with puzzles. I enjoyed both.
The Eight and
Everything under the Sun

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments Thank you all so much these are great suggestions.