Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) Howl's Moving Castle discussion

Could it be any better?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Chandler Anyone think Howl's moving Castle could be better? How?

message 2: by Corinne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Corinne No way, I thought this book was amazingly well written. It kept me guessing until the end. I mean, of course the end was a bit predictable, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be different. I just wanted to finish so I could find out what happened, and any book that does that to me is great.

message 3: by Jasmine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:57AM) (new)

Jasmine P is the book anything like the movies ive seen some of the movie but i haven't read that book and usually they make a movie out of the book its not as good as the book itself

message 4: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle I loved both movie, and book of Howl's Moving Castle. I'm a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki, so I watched the movie. A year or so later, I read the book; it was a great way to approach it, because I wasn't disappointed in the movie not representing the book correctly when I watched it - and when I read the book, there were new and exciting things to discover. (Watching a movie of a beloved book is always harrowing. -_-) I can't think of any way to improve on either. It's the only book of Ms. Jones I've read so far, but it definitely won't be the last.

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle I absolutely LOVE the ending of Howl's Moving Castle. I've seen the movie and read the book, and the endings of both are great.

Laura-Michal I enjoyed both the movie and the book, altough they only match up in the first third of the book. The ending is pretty much the same, too, but other than that, the book goes into much more depth, and Sophie's character especially is developed further. I don't really think either could be improved on, and I would suggest reading the sequal, called Castle In The Air, which follows Abdulah on his quest to find his lost love, the princess of his land. It's not obvious how the story ties in with Sohpie and Howl until the end of the book, but it's a good read!

Eden I wouldn't want to change the book. Everything is perfect the way it is.

Zephyr I loved both the book and the movie.

I love the book very much and it is one of my favourites. But if there was one thing I would change, it would be the ending. I felt like it ended a little abruptly. Before I realised the book was over. So a better ending perhaps?

message 9: by Gerd (last edited Jun 06, 2011 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd The only thing I'd change is Howl's origin, that part never really fit for me with the rest of the story.

Cassandra Lê I have read the book and found it was good, I haven't watch the movie yet

Zephyr Gerd wrote: "The only thing I'd change is Howl's origin, that part never really fit for me with the rest of the story."

Yes good point.

message 12: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 07, 2011 05:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca I think I'd have liked the conclusion to stretch out for a little longer, because it all seemed over too soon. Other than that, though, it was perfect.

Samantha the ending was a little squeezed in but this book was amazing

Gabriella Becky wrote: "I think I'd have liked the conclusion to stretch out for a little longer, because it all seemed over too soon. Other than that, though, it was perfect."

Agreed. The ending felt way too rushed to me.

Becky If this is the only book you've read by Diana Wynne Jones, then you really need to check out some of her other work. She was an amazing writer and I'm sad that there will be no more new DWJ books to look forward to.

Syahira Sharif Well, I think the book is kinda open-ended. Theres sequels right?

But I remembered that I was so excited years ago when Hayao Miyazaki wants to do an anime version of it. It wasn't covered much in my place nor the internet but when it was out, I'm not disappointed at all. I like how people deviate from the book when they make it into a movie. It gave fresh perspective in appreciating the book. (thats why Harry Potter, Twilight series disappoint me at some point)

Kimura Takuya as Howl does helps though I don't mind listening to Christian Bale.

message 17: by Thea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thea No. This book is perfect the way it is. I seriously loved it. I think it has the perfect mixture of everything.

The movie is a totally different aspect. The movie is better described as having the same character names and ideas as the book, but the plot is so different. Even still, this book is one of my favorite books and the movie is my all-time favorite.

But anyway, I didn't think I would like Jones' writing style very much, because all I've been reading before this book was urban fantasy. I have to give the author a lot of credit, because she made me really love old time fantasy, and her writing style is rustic, or at least for me. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of her books.

Kelly Sad to hear that author has passed away. This book was my first to read of DWJ's. After I was able to get the characters straight , I really enjoyed the book & will want to read other books by her plus I would like to see the movie. Toward the end I was starting to get the connection between Sophie & Howl, but was surprised at other happenings.

~Tormiester~ She's gone?!

Kelly Diana Wynne Jones was the author of more than thirty critically acclaimed books. She died on March 26, 2011, after a year-long battle with cancer.

Jenny I can't believe she's gone. I just got to read one of her books. Brings a lot more perspective on things. huh.

Kelly My thinking as well, this was the first book I had read of hers as well.

Jenny The movie isn't much like the book, but was still cute. I definitely enjoyed the book a lot more. How many books have you read of hers, Kelly?

Kelly This was my first one! I'm like you only got to read this one then found out she had passed away. Would I look for this movie in older section of family movies or ???

Jenny I would try family movies, but if they have an anime section it would definitely be there. I'd let you borrow my copy if I could. Its definitely something you should watch, especially if you're a Director Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli fan.

Kelly Well, to be honest I've never heard of either, but I will go to our local video store & see what I can find out. Tks

Jenny No problem. Tell me how you like it. Like I said, it doesn't have much in common with the book, but its still a good film to watch. So keep that in mind.

Kelly I found the movie to rent & it only a .99 cents!! I cant wait to watch it!! Tks Jenny

Hannah Zephyr wrote: "Gerd wrote: "The only thing I'd change is Howl's origin, that part never really fit for me with the rest of the story."

Yes good point."

You got something against Wales? I personally find his origin attractive. Have you ever listened to a Whelsh man talk? Stunning.

Hannah Danielle wrote: "I loved both movie, and book of Howl's Moving Castle. I'm a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki, so I watched the movie. A year or so later, I read the book; it was a great way to approach it, because I was..."

I agree with you. For me, I am in love with Hayao Miyazaki and Diana Wynne Jones. The way I see it, it was like seeing two different sides of a close friend. The obvious side that you get with first impressions (the movie), and the more in depth secretive side that you get with a growth of fondness and friendship (the book). (see, my review of "Howl's Moving Castle")

message 31: by Lark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lark It's one of the very few perfect books I have ever read.

Ernezimo Love the book. Love the movie. I don't think it can get any more perfect than this. Every time I read/watch this story, it feels so effortlessly magical that I got lost in that world - time and time again. Howl's Moving Castle is definitely sitting at the top of the rank in my list of favourite books of all-time.

PS. - Also, Joe Hisaishi has done an AMAZING job on the movie soundtrack as well. Definitely one of the great composer of our time.

Jenny No problem Kelly. Tell me how you liked it. I'm eager to know.

Jacinda I loved both the book and the movie. My final paper for an adaptation class I took in college was actually on Howl's Moving Castle; I was amazed at how well Miyazaki stayed true to the book while at the same time almost completely changing the plot.

Kelly Well I can say I love the book & the movie now!! This will be a book I introduce at the beginning of school & will use a clip or two from movie to hook them. I'm so excitied at what Ive gained from joining this group discussion. Tks guys

Kelly To hook them is my students at school I meant

Audrey no, it's perfect.

Hannah Ernezimo wrote: "Love the book. Love the movie. I don't think it can get any more perfect than this. Every time I read/watch this story, it feels so effortlessly magical that I got lost in that world - time and tim..."

Joe Hisaishi: I agree completely. He is my favourite. I have every one of the OST's that he has composed. He works with the "New Japan Phylharmonic Orchestra". He is a genius and one of the Muses. (You should listen to his other masterpieces - they are tens times better than HMC - if I may suggest "Princess Mononoke" or "Spirited Away".) :)

Zephyr Hannah wrote: "Zephyr wrote: "Gerd wrote: "The only thing I'd change is Howl's origin, that part never really fit for me with the rest of the story."

Yes good point."

You got something against Wales? I personal..."

Hannah wrote: "Zephyr wrote: "Gerd wrote: "The only thing I'd change is Howl's origin, that part never really fit for me with the rest of the story."

Yes good point."

You got something against Wales? I personal..."

I like my fantasy to be fantasy with a fantasy world. So I didn't like finding a place from our world in it.

Hannah Zephyr wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Zephyr wrote: "Gerd wrote: "The only thing I'd change is Howl's origin, that part never really fit for me with the rest of the story."

Yes good point."

You got something against Wa..."

I thought that it gave it a far more magical feel. It gave the sense that our "fantasy" may not be as unreachable as we think. Oh, Well. That's why they are called opinions, Yes?"

message 41: by Gerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Zephyr wrote: "I like my fantasy to be fantasy with a fantasy world. So I didn't like finding a place from our world in it..."

Much the same there.
Hannah, you've got a fair point there, but in "Howl's" that revelation came out of nowhere for me and I felt that it subtracted serious coolness points from Howl.

Hannah Gerd wrote: "Zephyr wrote: "I like my fantasy to be fantasy with a fantasy world. So I didn't like finding a place from our world in it..."

Much the same there.
Hannah, you've got a fair point there, but in "H..."

Like I said, opinions. *Shrugs* Thanks so sharing yours. :)

Marsha I think that the idea of a doorway from the magical world but it made Howl look like he was just running away, again. The book also had a really cool fighting scene between the Witch of the Wastes and Howl that should've made it to the movie. I did love both the book and movie though.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ I'm a fan of both the book and the movie equally. I felt the world created by Diana Wynne Jones is great and unique that she collaborated with Hayao Miyazaki is just wonderful in my opinion. I enjoyed the book just as much as enjoyed the movie. Reading the book made the character's come alive for me and enriched the process greatly.

Pickle just read the book and it was excellent, a very good story with great characters and a good ending.

Looking forward to watching the movie tonight.

pickle

message 46: by Kali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kali Hannah wrote: "You got something against Wales? I personally find his origin attractive. Have you ever listened to a Whelsh man talk? Stunning. "

I thought it was amusing that they hired a Welsh actor to play a Welsh character, and then had him put on an American accent.

Hannah Kali wrote: "Hannah wrote: "You got something against Wales? I personally find his origin attractive. Have you ever listened to a Whelsh man talk? Stunning. "

I thought it was amusing that they hired a Welsh a..."

Quite right... I don't rightly see why they did that... but oh well... :)

Angie Both the book and the movie were special in a particular way.

In the book, the characters, being magical or not, were having more realistical personalities (I liked Sophie's temper, she reminded me myself).

The movie made me cry despite the characters were a little more flawless.

message 49: by Dr (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dr Zorlak I absolutely LOVE Calcifer. He steals the show!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that it was a little BLUNT, but that's all. :)

« previous 1