What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Riding the Wind
This topic is about Riding the Wind
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. horse show jumping book in which a girl locks herself in a horse trailer [s]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jesse (last edited Oct 29, 2013 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I'm looking for this book I read several years ago, when I was about 10-11 years old. There are these two girls who ride at a horse stable and practice show jumping. They don't really like each other, but they both have the same favorite horse (I think the horse was a mare/filly).

Major Points
.Girl #1 breaks her arm when her and her siblings try to get their dog to pull a sled
.Girl #2 locks herself in a horse trailer and won't come out for days
.The cover had a light grey horse jumping over a jump with a rider her her back (from a front view)

Minor Points
.Girl #1's mother insists that she wear a safety vest when riding
.Girl #1 gets her brother to muck out the horses stall, when her arm is broken
.Girl #1 and her mother take food to Girl #2, when she is in the horse trailer

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments When did you read this book? Is it a chapter book or picture book?

message 4: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments What country is it set in?
What year did you read it?
Or early or late which decade?
Check websites on horse books, they have search functions and categories -- pony mad book lovers
And
Jane Badger horse books site.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I think it's set in the U.S. but I'm not sure. I read it in 2005-2007, but it might be older then that.

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments was this part of a series or a stand-alone?

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I think it was a stand-alone, but it might have been part of a series and I just didn't know it.

message 8: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Here are the two sites I mentioned.
ponymadbooklovers - book and author information, authors A-Z, by country, etc.

Jane Badger books - pony books

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments No it's not that one, but thanks for trying.

message 11: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments Maybe it's from the Thorouhghbred series

http://www.goodreads.com/series/41547...

This cover is similar
Christina's Courage Christina's Courage (Thoroughbred, #27) by Joanna Campbell

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments No, but thanks for trying.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I'm still looking for this book. Does anybody else have any ideas?

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Not yet Jesse--but keep bumping it up every month.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I'm still looking for this book. Why is it so hard to find?

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Probably because there are 80 billion books about girls and horses. Did you look through every listopia @3?

message 17: by Jesse (last edited Oct 24, 2013 08:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I don't know because I don't know what listopia or @3 means.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Oct 24, 2013 09:21PM) (new)

@3 is just shorthand for "at or in post #3."

A Listopia is a GR list of books begun by a user, and added to (voted on) by other users. Liralen linked to a bunch of horse related listopias/lists in post 3 where you might find your book.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I looked in them multiple times but I couldn't find it.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I'm still looking for this book.

message 21: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments This was published in 2001. It says that she broke bones and struggled, and her parents weren't initially supportive. She also worked at stables, drove a horse truck and trailer, has brothers...I just can't see the whole book to see if your particular incident is in it.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Hurdle-Too-H...

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments No it's not it. Thank you for trying though.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments Does anyone know what book this is? I'm still looking for it.

message 24: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments I've been looking since you posted it but keep coming up empty.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments Well, thank you for looking. After going to the library that I had originally gotten it from and looking on the shelf and the library catalog, I determined that it got misplaced over the years and they don't have it anymore. Then I posted this but no one seems to know what it is. Meanwhile, I've looked on several websites but I can't find it on any of them. I didn't realize that this was such a rare book.

message 26: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments The one that brought me to this site had been haunting me for years, and I began to think that it too was rare, but I happened to get lucky one evening and see a photo that had also been in the book (it was a true story) on a website, and while it didn't lead me to the book, it gave me the name of the person who was the main character in the book, and I found it that way. That's why I post books that don't always 100% fit what the person says because they could have either remembered wrong or while not rare, just may not be on everyone's radar, and something else could lead you there, like what happened to me. The book I was looking for is not particularly rare, but unless I search with the name of the main character directly, nothing comes up. Weird.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments Yeah, that is weird. I don't remember the names of any of the characters in this book, but I'll keep looking and I hope I find it someday.

message 28: by Tab (last edited Dec 09, 2013 03:11PM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments Oops, already posted Riding Rivals

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (newbeginings) Maybe a saddle club book?

message 31: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments I've been looking like crazy and the only thing that keeps coming up over and over is a book called "The Barn Girls" or something similar. However, it looks like a vanity printing or on-demand e-book, and it says to look for more in the series, but I can't find any more. It's also pretty new (like within the last 2 years). The scant summary of the plot mainly says that there are 3 girls and they work off the fees for their horses by working at the boarding place. It wasn't much help and didn't mention any of the plot points the OP brought up, but continues to come up in searches. I'll see if I can find the link, but if I had money, I'd bet it's not it.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I don't think that's it. I read this book at least seven years ago and it's probably older then that because it looked a little worn out. Also, girl #2 was rich and probably wouldn't be working. Thanks for trying.

message 33: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments This one came up this time. It's part of a series. It hit a few of your plot points, but not the major ones.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments No that's not it.

message 35: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments Jesse, do you remember why the girl locks herself in the trailer? Was she throwing a tantrum b/c she couldn't ride the horse? Or, was she protesting something?

message 36: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments Yeah, that's the part that keeps hanging things up in my search. Also, was anyone in the story British?

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I don't remember exactly, but I think it has something to do with some sort of family problem. Also, I think her dad might have been the owner of the stables, but I'm not sure. It's possible that someone was British, but I don't remember.

message 38: by Serendi (new)

Serendi A suggestion - ask at a local riding club or stable or at an online riding club.

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (newbeginings) In the saddle club series one of the girls(veronica) is very rich and fights over a horse named Cobalt with Carol in a few of the books. Do you remember how the book ended?

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments It was not the saddle club, and no I do not remember how the book ended.

message 41: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Have you tried the booksleuth forum on abebooks? There's some horsey people there.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments No. I've never even heard of abebooks.

message 43: by bookel (last edited Dec 30, 2013 08:18PM) (new)

bookel | 2346 comments The forum: http://forums.abebooks.com/discussion...?

I recommend posting on as many book search forums as possible. The more people you ask, the more likely you'll find it.

Also try asking Jane from the Jane Badger horse books website. I think they have a forum of sorts there too?

message 44: by Jesse (last edited Dec 30, 2013 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I already checked the Jane Badger website and couldn't find it, but I'll try AbeBooks. Thanks for the advice.

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I'm still looking for this book, and I didn't have any luck with AbeBooks.

message 47: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Feb 03, 2014 12:54PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Jesse--once a month is the usual "bump" time period.

And, having said that--I really wish we could get this ID'ed. I want to add it to my "Girl's Horse Story" shelf of "dead tree" books. (I also have a shelf dedicated to doll stories, another to children's mysteries, sci-fi, fantasy, time-travel, pets. . .) I have an entire book shelf (7ft. x 7ft) that's filled with children's books, another of all YA books, and we won't even talk about the ADULT books. . .

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments Is it possible to get it ID'ed?

message 49: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments Yes, but it may take some time. I've seen some take years. Patience is the key. :)

message 50: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Jesse, pour yourself a stiff drink - or if you are underage, a cup of hot chocolate - and go sit by the fire in your favorite chair. Then prepare to wait...make sure you have a lot of firewood...

« previous 1