Short & Sweet Treats discussion

General > Ask The Mod

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Oct 10, 2013 11:42AM) (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
Please post any questions or suggestions you have here for me. I will do my best to answer and accommodate our members. Thank you!
Of course, positive feedback is always welcome too.

message 2: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Good to have you on board Angell. This is a lively group and as you can see we love to read and also play brain games.

Books read for October can be posted for beginning that month. But if you've finished the book and want to begin before that's fine but please use the qword spoiler and either move down a few spaces so that readers don't see it or use the following:

(view spoiler)

message 3: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Sep 18, 2013 02:48PM) (new)

Angell wrote: "Oh okay...so the books are "due," so to speak, at the beginning of the month? I ran a monthly book club (not on goodreads) where we did it at the end of the month, so I'm glad I asked lol

Thanks!!!"

I'm glad you asked, Angell.

You don't have to finish the October books by October unless you wish to do so.

We can read it together throughout the month of October, which was why we divided the discussions based on chapters.

If you check out the folders for our
October Reads, you'll see this.

For example, for We Have Always Lived in the Castle, we divided the discussions between Books 1 through 5 and Books 6 through 10

So once you've read the first half of the book, you can start on the first thread without worrying about spoiling the last half of the book!

We set up the same system with My Antonia.

Does that make sense?

message 4: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Thank Laura for explaining the discussions by chapters. I guess I forgot this group was doing this, this way. I find some groups do their discussions differently but I think your idea is among the best.

Sorry, Angell if I gave you misinformation. I have some trouble remembering details at times from different groups.

message 5: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Sep 19, 2013 05:19AM) (new)

u explained it right Nancy to begin with!
thank u for saying that We do it best! yay!

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Laura, can the December 2013 book discussion threads be moved up so they're just after the November reads? Right now they're clear at the bottom, and I almost missed them.

Thanks--you do a great job.

message 7: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: "Laura, can the December 2013 book discussion threads be moved up so they're just after the November reads? Right now they're clear at the bottom, and I almost missed them.

Thanks--you do a great ..."

:)

done. good catch, Julia. thank you for looking out, and thank you for the complement :D

message 8: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ Laura...I was just wondering if there is a list somewhere of the book themes for each month? Are the themes the same every year? If they are the same I've figured out January, February, October and December. I'm just curious. Thanks:)

message 9: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Ashley wrote: "Laura...I was just wondering if there is a list somewhere of the book themes for each month? Are the themes the same every year? If they are the same I've figured out January, February, October and..."

Good question, Ashley. No, there isn't a list and it isn't going to be necessarily the same themes each year.

So far, I have been selecting the genres based on the season. I have them planned out so far until around June, but I haven't quite decided how I would determine the genres after that. If you have any suggestions, I'm open! =D

message 10: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ Thank you for your speedy response. I will be sure to let you know if I have any ideas. I was just curious:)

message 11: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Jan 04, 2014 07:39AM) (new)

Alicia wrote: "What are the themes up to June?

Things that come to mind after:
July - popular month for weddings
August - overseas holidays
September - I would say school themes but I've overdosed on young prota..."

Hi Alicia!

I love these suggestions. Instead of always selecting specific genres, we can go more with a theme.
I have been enjoying "unveiling" the upcoming genres at time of nomination, but I will say that March will be "March Mystery Madness Month!"
Love your ideas! thank you :)

message 12: by Julia (last edited Jan 04, 2014 07:48AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Laura, you always do a WONDERFUL job of choosing, and March sounds like great fun. Thanks again for all you do, in making this the most welcoming group on goodreads!

message 13: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: "Laura, you always do a GREAT job of choosing, and March sounds like great fun. Thanks again for all you do, in making this the most welcoming group on goodreads!"

Hi, Julia! Thank you! You always make me smile!

message 14: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

just straight up mysteries. although a lot of the characters are mad in those stories! :)

message 15: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I will put up a nomination thread in February

message 16: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Alicia wrote: "Haha! How do nominations work? I think I have a suggestion for that one."

We nominate the books from the bookshelf, then I set up a poll. :D

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Laura, I wanted to check what you'd think about adding a Poetry thread under "Side Dishes". I've loved poetry all my life and taught it as part of my career--I do believe it can fit the group's profile of "short and sweet". This would be an example of the length I was considering; Wendell Berry is one of my favorite nature poets:

The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.

I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Wendell Berry

message 18: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

of course it fits Julia! You can make a new thread under side dished if you like. or if you prefer I make one just let me know

poetry fits beautifully under our short and sweet theme! great idea!

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Thanks, Laura--I opened the thread and posted another of my favorite "short and sweet" poems :-) I love the epics, like The Odyssey, but poetry is so diverse it has small gems that fit this group well.

message 20: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

looks good Julia! I may make a separate Folder so we can set up individual threads to allow for more discussions. what do you think?

on a side note, Even if people in general want to read a work more than 250 p that is fine too. we will keep our "official" group reads less than the 250 p

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Thanks for the encouragement, Laura--I'd say let's just see how it goes first, since the Fairy Tale and Myth thread fits well into Side Dishes, and I'm not sure how many folks will be interested in the poetry thread. Time will tell :-)

message 22: by D (new)

D | 95 comments Mrs.Laura, can you post the books that everyone read for decemeber and november and janurary of 2014 please???
Thank you!! You are the best mod ever!!

message 23: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Jan 27, 2014 04:50PM) (new)

Deionsia wrote: "Mrs.Laura, can you post the books that everyone read for decemeber and november and janurary of 2014 please???
Thank you!! You are the best mod ever!!"

Deionsia,
The books we have read are posted on our
Read Shelf Here

I created an Index of Previous Read Here. This way you can keep better track of not only the books we read, but also the actual discussions we had about them.

The Books we are currently reading are on our
Currently Reading Bookshelf Here

These lists are updated regularly to reflect past and present reads.

I hope that answers your question, and thank you for the complement!

Laura

message 24: by Alessia (last edited Jan 31, 2014 02:34PM) (new)

Alessia (allieonthemoon) | 29 comments Hi Laura! Just an idle question really, but I was wondering where did you find the picture for the group? The one with all those book cupcakes? (it's lovely by the way).

message 25: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Jan 31, 2014 02:19PM) (new)

thanks, Alessia! I actually just Googled "cupcake books" and found a bunch of pictures :)

message 26: by Julia (last edited Jan 31, 2014 04:16PM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Great find, Laura--I love that picture as well; here's a blog on the fact that these cupcakes come from Victoria's Kitchen in England! http://www.househoncho.com/2012/08/bi...

I took this picture to my local bakery, and she's going to see if she can work on that idea.

message 27: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: "Great find, Laura--I love that picture as well; here's a blog on the fact that these cupcakes come from Victoria's Kitchen in England! http://www.househoncho.com/2012/08/bi...

I to..."

oh Julia! that is some good investigative work. If you wouldn't mind sharing a picture with us that would be great!

message 28: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) :-) I added the one I posted, but it's pretty much like yours. Not sure if it could be added as that bigger "masthead" photo, but perhaps.

Thanks for all you do, Laura--wish I could send you some of these from England! I even wrote an email to Victoria's Kitchen to see if they have ANY U.S. bakeries that could make these! Alas, no response.

This site is really fun! http://cakesandcupcakesmumbai.com/201...

message 29: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: ":-) I added the one I posted, but it's pretty much like yours. Not sure if it could be added as that bigger "masthead" photo, but perhaps.

Thanks for all you do, Laura--wish I could send you some ..."

It looks good Julia! Thank you! I haven't done a masthead yet and that might be a good one.

The cakes on that site look so deliciously creative! What an amazing talent to have :) You can see they are passionate about their work and I always think that's a great thing when anybody takes pride in what they do.

message 30: by Julia (last edited Feb 05, 2014 05:14AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) So true--and Melanie, our local baker in this tiny town of 2200, won awards at a Chicago competition with her design of a wonderful, 3-layer jungle cake! I tried to upload a picture, but alas not allowed.

message 31: by MiA (new)

MiA (mirhershelf) | 125 comments Hi Laura,

Just wanted to ask which book edition do you go with when approving a book suggestion for the to-read shelf? I know that we have a 250 pages strict rule but every edition has a different page count, which I find a bit confusing.

Thanks.

message 32: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Marwa wrote: "Hi Laura,

Just wanted to ask which book edition do you go with when approving a book suggestion for the to-read shelf? I know that we have a 250 pages strict rule but every edition has a different..."

I use any edition as long as it is less than 250 pages. For example, I didn't initially include Frankenstein, but someone found this edition Frankenstein which was 215 pages.

As long as it isn't too major of a difference, such as 1000 pages vs. 150, then it's okay with me.

message 33: by MiA (new)

MiA (mirhershelf) | 125 comments Thanks for the speedy reply, Laura :)

message 34: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Marwa wrote: "Thanks for the speedy reply, Laura :)"

Oh you're very welcome, Marwa! :D

message 35: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi Romans (BobbiR) | 10 comments I read that since this was open to all ages, to be cautious what we post.

I have a sweet contemporary where the cover is darling (I love it anyway) and is totally G rated, but the story is def R-Rated.

Is it okay to find the author thread here and post I'm looking for a few reviews?

Don't want to do anything against the rule.

Thanks,
Bobbi

message 36: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Laura, just saw a post in the author's forum that is pretty insulting. The title is SATAN'S GUIDE TO THE BIBLE, and he signs the last post: "Happy Readings, Sinners!
STUART

I'm not a religious person, but his tone is rude--not sure what you want to do, but thought I'd let you know.

message 37: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Is there anyway to block getting the notices of the ones who just want to participate in the games?

message 38: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Robert wrote: "Is there anyway to block getting the notices of the ones who just want to participate in the games?"

Robert. Great question.

•Under the group description, on the home page (above the current reads) where it says you are a "member" select "edit"
•go to the Bottom of the page
•"edit group discussion"
•"updates "
•make sure you select "none"

Also make sure you haven't selected the "Email me when people reply" box at the bottom of any individual thread. Sometimes that is easy to check off by accident.

Going forward you should only receive any messages I broadcast to the group.

Hope this helps.

message 39: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Laura, not sure what's up, but when I try to get to the most recent new members page, it's black. Hmmm--

message 40: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: "Laura, not sure what's up, but when I try to get to the most recent new members page, it's black. Hmmm--"

Where are you going for that? When I select "members" and sort by "date joined," I see the most recent new members.

message 41: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) LaLaLa Laura wrote: "Julia wrote: "Laura, not sure what's up, but when I try to get to the most recent new members page, it's black. Hmmm--"

Where are you going for that? When I select "members" and sort by "date join..."

I just click on the numerals in red that indicate an entry to the thread. When I did, the screen was black. Another hmmm :-)

message 42: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: "LaLaLa Laura wrote: "Julia wrote: "Laura, not sure what's up, but when I try to get to the most recent new members page, it's black. Hmmm--"

Where are you going for that? When I select "members" ..."

When I click the red numbers, it just takes me to the newest comments in the thread. Are you still seeing the black? I can e-mail support about this issue.

message 43: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Thanks, Laura--I'm still seeing black when I click on the red words "2 new".

message 44: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) All fixed--not sure what happened but it's fine now :-)

message 45: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

oh ok. huh. wonder what happened. thanks for letting me know, Julia!

message 46: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Ah, remember those little pesky pixel pixies that gave us trouble before lol?

message 47: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

ahhh! and I love that I can see them on the goodreads app!

message 48: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Laura, I just got this message when I came to our group:

"Please upgrade your browser. For security reasons, starting 2014/10/28 you will no longer be able to access Goodreads with this browser. For more information please contact us."

I sent them a message, but this is a shock. I have no intention of messing with my browser, and I'm wondering if goodreads has been hacked.

If they really do cut me off on Oct. 28, I'll miss you and Jen and others, but they have no business telling me what to do with my system.

I was on earlier today and didn't have this message at the top of the page. Hope you can find out what's going on.

message 49: by Melanti (new)

Melanti Julia, you might ask in the Feedback group. Or wait for support to get back to you...

LaLaLa Laura probably wouldn't be able to find much out considering she doesn't know the details of your browser or OS.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 50: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Thanks, Melanti--just seemed a strange message, and I figured the moderators could get through to goodreads more quickly. I'll just be patient--(NOT my long suit lol).

« previous 1