Who's Your Author? discussion

Let's talk about... > When a book becomes a movie, do you like a portion of it to be different in some way or strictly by the book?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 31, 2013 04:39PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments So this month I've seen both Sea of Monsters and The Mortal Instruments; City of Bones. I thought Sea of Monsters did a pretty good job of staying true to the book, although some things in the time line were a little out of order and a few things were changed. The City of Bones looked awesome, however, a lot of things got changed. They put in spoilers from book two--significant ones. If you went into the movie only having read book one of the series, you will not enjoy book two as it was intended to be. All I can say is, "Hollywood what were you thinking?"

So I'm curious, would you prefer knowing everything going into the movie, or do you like some portion that isn't quite so significant to be changed so you get a little surprise?

message 2: by Bungluna (new)

Bungluna | 32 comments I don't mind when some things are changed, such a setting or condensing of minor characters into one, but I do get very upset if the story changes drastically. I can't think of a movie example right now, but I stopped watching True Blood for this reason.

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I always hate it when they cut out the best quotes from the book. :(

message 4: by Bungluna (new)

Bungluna | 32 comments If the book has great dialogue, it is just abominable when they change it for some trite pap.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahjbailey) | 21 comments I loved the COB MI movie even with the changes. The quality of the special effects and scenes were amazing, i did get to meet CC at waterstone and she did say she had no control over the making of the movie. I don't mind small changes but I don't like it when the author has a say and important things are changed like SM in new moon was apart of the writing and cut out stuff that were main parts in book.

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Don't get me wrong, I liked COB MI for the most part, but I felt the part about Jace and Clary shouldn't have been revealed. Plus, they gave a lot more information than I recall in the first book about Shadow Hunters and the cup. It was more the spoilerish nature of it I disliked than the actual movie. The movie should have come with a spoiler tag attached.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike | 353 comments I feel that COB was great. I'm ok with some changes like losing Alec and Isabel's family because it didn't really change the story. I also didn't really mind the timing changes. On the other hand I hated Beautiful Creatures they changed way to much. Making Amma unimportant in the movie was unforgivable. I also hate arbitrary changes like changing a characters race.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 208 comments It's bad enough that they often have to cut parts out of a book to make a movie, but I dislike it even more when they add things into the movie that were never part of the book. One good example of this is "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" with Johnny Depp. There was no need in the book for any backstory of Willy Wonka's life to be told and there was no need to create such a part to put into the movie, IMO. Roald Dahl is probably rolling over in his grave over the mess they made of his book.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike | 353 comments Joseph wrote: "It's bad enough that they often have to cut parts out of a book to make a movie, but I dislike it even more when they add things into the movie that were never part of the book. One good example o..."

Aside from the back story the Depp version is actually closer then the first one. I liked the book and it's sequel as well as both movies.

message 10: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Mike wrote: "I feel that COB was great. I'm ok with some changes like losing Alec and Isabel's family because it didn't really change the story. I also didn't really mind the timing changes. On the other hand I..."

I agree with you on Beautiful Creatures. My daughter and I both were disappointed. The previews looked so good but the movie didn't deliver.

message 11: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 56 comments I have not seen COB yet and I have the book on my TBR list but I'm thinking Twilight and specifically the last movie the fight scene. THat didn't happen in the book but I loved it in the movie I sort kinda wished before that scene that they did stick mostly to the book but I enjoyed all the movies. It was the movie that got me into reading the book then I read the next book now I love to read. I think books are better than the movie because of the detail. OH! The host movie I found boring in comparison to the book and it wasn't like the book majority to me.

message 12: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 01, 2013 04:44PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Anika wrote: "I have not seen COB yet and I have the book on my TBR list but I'm thinking Twilight and specifically the last movie the fight scene. THat didn't happen in the book but I loved it in the movie I so..."

Very True Anika. I did like the twist at the end and it didn't take anything away. Everyone went quite in the theater when that fight went down and it was brilliantly done.

message 13: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Anika wrote: "I have not seen COB yet and I have the book on my TBR list but I'm thinking Twilight and specifically the last movie the fight scene. THat didn't happen in the book but I loved it in the movie I so..."

Anika,

Make sure to read the first and second books before seeing COB.

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jasuchan) | 1 comments I don't get it. They turn books into movies because the book was absolutely popular. Why change the formula if it worked in book form? There were scenes from the Harry potter books that were cut out in the movies, scenes that gave my sister and I goosebumps and lit up our faces in delight when we imagined them. We love the movies still but are disappointed with this fact.

message 15: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments First, I hated Beautiful Creatures, I felt really cheated by the way they turn a bad character good and took out his mom's best friend and then the Amma stuff, yeah I hate that.

Second, I don't mind if the movie strays from a book as long as the intent of the book is there. HP is a good example of that.

Lastly, as for the final fight scene in Breaking Dawn, I read an interview with SM and she said that it was a scene from when Alice entered the meadow and since Bella would have no real understanding of the event because she couldn't read Alice or Aro's mind that no one really noticed the scene. She even quoted a page number, but I agree that I didn't recall Alice going near Aro. So it's really left to interpretation. I wish I could remember the page number she gave, unfortunately I don't and I haven't been able to find it on my own.

message 16: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments Here's an article about the Breaking Dawn final battle
http://www.twilightlexicon.com/2012/1...

message 17: by Mike (last edited Sep 02, 2013 03:43AM) (new)

Mike | 353 comments I think Harry Potter was done very well. I expect things to be cut because of time otherwise the movie would be hours long. A good example of this is Game of Thrones. The first book is told very accurately over the course of 10-15 hours. You can't make a movie that long. Other fantastic almost word for word adaptions are The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption.

message 18: by Erica (new)

Erica (readingdiva8511) | 109 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Anika wrote: "I have not seen COB yet and I have the book on my TBR list but I'm thinking Twilight and specifically the last movie the fight scene. THat didn't happen in the book but I loved it in ..."

I wish I would have read the second book in the mortal instruments before going and seeing the movie. I felt like part of the next book was ruined for me but I will still read the book.
I usually like when movies stick with the book but I don't mind a little change because sometimes it is needed to get things across. One movie that I really liked the changes was The Hunger Games. They stuck with the book really well. And the things that they changed actually added to my enjoyment of the movie. Like when they show what is going on in the districts while the games are taking place in the arena. I felt like that was a pleasantly unexpected thing for those of us who read the books.

message 19: by Death (new)

Death | 9 comments hi

message 20: by Death (new)

Death | 9 comments hi

message 21: by Marcia (last edited Sep 15, 2013 11:10AM) (new)

Marcia (marciameara) | 161 comments For me, Hollywood almost never gets it right, starting with the casting, which 99% of the time is so far off from the descriptions of the characters we all know and love, it's painful to watch. When they change pivotal scenes, I hate it, usually even if it's done well. I want to the movie to be a true visual representation of the book, even if it has to be compacted a bit, due to running time restraints, or I don't want to bother. (One reason I will not be watching Vampire Academy, which in the trailer, comes across as looking like Glee With Fangs.) Just my own opinion, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of films where I think Hollywood got it ALL right. Some of the ones where they missed, weren't big enough misses to ruin the movie for me, but most are horrendous. I've learned to skip the movies, for the most part, and use that 2 or 3 hours to read another book.

message 22: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 52 comments I think that the main portions of the book should be the same in the movie/tv show. I don't mind some changes, but to change an entire character, scene, or important fact for the movie makes a whole new story and can ruin things. True Blood comes to mind for me. Bill trying to get to Sookie to help her in the day light and burns up. In the book he's asleep during the day and cannot wake up because he's not old enough or powerful enough to even be slightly awake during the day. That makes a difference when the hotel is blowing up and Sookie & the bellhop (I forget his name) have to get their people out. Sookie is barely able to get Eric awake enough to help her get Pam out.
There were some things in the Twilight movies that bugged me that where changed from the books.
I was pretty happy with Interview With The Vampire.
The Vampire Diaries I don't even recognize from the books.