Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
Challenges of Yesteryear > December: A Song of Ice and Fire Series Buddy Read Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 11, 2013 05:50PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31349 comments Mod

This challenge is all about the A Song of Ice and Fire Series and buddy reading!

Join us to read through this series as "relaxed" buddy reads . Note: This series was previously read in 2011/2012 as Buddy Reads so existing DQs (discussion questions) can be used for these Buddy Reads.

Challenge Duration: December 2013 - December 2014

List of books:
1 A Game of Thrones
2 A Clash of Kings
3 A Storm of Swords
4 A Feast for Crows
5 A Dance With Dragons

How to participate:
Leave a comment below to let us know you are in! I will update this with links to the discussion threads as they are created.

Current participants: - Sign-up Order
Vicky
Tea
Leslie
Logan
Sarah
Anima
Sanz
Esther
Teresa
Michelle
CassieV
Claire
Tea
❀Tea❀
Lára
Ufuoma
Sarah
Sara
Carey
Amanda
SiMo
Suzanne
Rebecca
Sandy
Steven
Karen
Megan
Jex
Salma
Stephanie
Patty
Zina
Merissa
Scarlett
Karly
Jo
Nika (Oh My Shelves)
Lisa
Joanne♥
Mary
Christina
Crystal
Sandra
Celeste
Tonya
Justin
Erin
Renee
Jasmine
Mirliz
Wendelin (Alex)
Rene

Current participants: - Alphabetical Order
1. Amanda
2. Anima
3. Carey
4. CassieV
5. Celeste
6. Christina
7. Claire
8. Crystal
9. Erin
10. Esther
11. Jasmine
12. Jex
13. Jo
14. Joanne♥
15. Justin
16. Karen
17. Karly
18. Lára
19. Leslie
20. Lisa
21. Logan
22. Mary
23. Megan
24. Merissa
25. Michelle
26. Mirliz
27. Nika (Oh My Shelves)
28. Patty
29. Rebecca
30. Renee
31. Rene
32. Salma
33. Sandra
34. Sandy
35. Sanz
36. Sara
37. Sarah
38. Sarah - Exploring All Genres
39. Scarlett
40. SiMo
41. Stephanie
42. Steven
43. Suzanne
44. Tea
45. ❀Tea❀
46. Teresa
47. Tonya
48. Ufuoma
49. Vicky
50. Wendelin (Alex)
51. Zina

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 30, 2013 08:29PM) (new) - added it

December 2013
Book 1 - A Game of Thrones - Discussion thread is here

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

reserved

Sarah | 3273 comments OMG. Just what I would have loved when I read them. This is the best series EVER. I don't re read books but maybe I can join in on some discussion. I would love to see reactions of first time readers. I haven't read the fifth installment yet, but I was trying to hold off for the series to finish - if that will ever happen - jeez.

Sarah | 3273 comments GRR Martin is the master of character development and great plots and sub plots to boot. My mouth is salivating.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I read the series last year, but as it is one of my all-time favourite, I will happily refresh it and join the discussion :). That is really great challenge :)

message 7: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Sure Sarah - just lurk in the discussion threads and join in :)

Welcome also Anima!

~Karen

Sanskriti Nagar | 278 comments I'm going to be joining in as well... Just started reading A Game of Thrones for the second time, so this should be fun!

message 9: by Esther (last edited Aug 31, 2013 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esther (nyctale) I already read the 1st three. But I would join you for the 4th and 5th.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments I'm in! I've skimmed through book 1 but I really want to read more of these.

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments I read the first one last year and loved it so much but have been too intimidated to read the rest because they are just soooooo huge!!
Maybe if I make a commitment to join in on this challenge I might be more inclined to keep reading them.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Lisarenee and I had fun doing all five of them back to back. However, we learned - eventually - that you really needed to schedule break days.

message 13: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 31, 2013 07:57PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments If you guys do them all be aware I was extremely sick when we read the last book. You will very plainly see what my brain is like normally and what it's like on powerful painkillers.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Yes, I remember that; you had me worried, Lisarenee.

CassieV | 1196 comments I've been wanting to read these for a while, so count me in :)

message 16: by ✿Claire✿ (new) - added it

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments Ooohhh... Am I right in reading that this doesn't start til December? I'll have the first five books with me by then (I've got the first one at the moment but the other four are at home) so I'll definitely join in :D

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Is that me on the list?!

I'll probably start first one even before December (there is this challenge it fits nicely). ;)

Lára I´ve just recently read Game of Thrones and planning to start Clash of Kings soon (next month), but I probably won´t finish with all the books this year, so I´m in.

Vicky (librovert) | 2212 comments I'm so glad there are lots of people interested!

Since we're doing it in a more relaxed style, we can split each book into 4 sections and then people can have their own reading days/break days within a given week? Do people think we'll need 2 months per book or do you want to stick with 1?

I would rather do 1, which would put us ~250 pages a week. I feel like if we stretch it out too much I'll get too distracted!

When in December would people want to start? I know some people in the BR thread were interested in starting later - but I would rather start earlier in December so we can get the bulk done before the holidays instead of starting in the midst of holiday craziness.

Thoughts?

message 20: by ✿Claire✿ (new) - added it

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments Earlier's good for me, it means I can get it started before I go home for Christmas. And a month is good for me, two months would drag it out, but I know I read quite quickly so whatever'd best for others.

message 21: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Yes, I remember that; you had me worried, Lisarenee."

I had me worried too.

message 22: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 02, 2013 02:41PM) (new) - added it

Welcome Sanz, Esther, Teresa, Michelle, CassieV, Claire, ❀Tea❀ and Lára!

❀Tea❀ - there is another "Tea" who signed up in the 'read it with me' thread. Maybe your doppelganger? ;)

~Karen

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges wrote: "Welcome Sanz, Esther, Teresa, Michelle, CassieV, Claire, ❀Tea❀ and Lára!

❀Tea❀ - there is another "Tea" who signed up in the 'read it with me' thread. Maybe your doppelganger? ;)

~Karen"

Oh, good. I had discussion about reading it with LK so I thought she just signed me up. ☺ You know, to force politely remind me I said I'll read it soon. :D

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14704 comments Mod
haha
:D

message 25: by Angelspearl (new)

Angelspearl so glad for this challenge. im definitely in on this one.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "I had discussion about reading it with LK so I thought she just signed me up. ☺ You know, to force politely remind me I said I'll read it soon. :D"

**chuckles** Turn about is fair play, ❀Tea❀!

Sarah - Exploring All Genres | 1 comments Sign me up.
This is the push I need to finally read these books. Started the first one quite some time ago but never finished it.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Neat, Sarah! Welcome to the challenge.

message 29: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Abbott | 2 comments I'm definitely in for this one. I just finished the first one and am currently reading Clash of Kings. So far Clash of Kings is amazing!

Carey Devine | 35 comments Sign me up also sounds like a great read.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Welcome, Sara and Carey!

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I'd love to join the challenge! I still haven't read any GRR Martin and I feel like I'm missing out on something great.

message 33: by Lára (last edited Sep 03, 2013 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lára Amanda wrote: "I'd love to join the challenge! I still haven't read any GRR Martin and I feel like I'm missing out on something great."

Sadly, I thought the same thing. );

Then I saw all three seasons of Game of Thrones (tv show) and liked it so much (view spoiler) that I´m waiting for the 4th season still.

I´ve read the 1st book because of the people of the Fantasy Book Club (Goodreads book club) and realized I did not miss a single thing (view spoiler).

Just my opinion (of course), I think this series are highly overrated. If I may say so, not original at all. The only thing that´s really amazing is the portret of the human being. Mr. Martin knows how to write, I give him that, but he´s short with uniqueness

I´m going to read the sequel to the 1st book. Not because I´m dying to read it, but because so many people say his books are amazing and I disagree

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Welcome to the challenge, Amanda!

message 35: by SiMo (new) - rated it 4 stars

SiMo (simothewalkingreader) I'm in!! I have all the books but I still haven't read any of them!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Great, SiMo! Welcome to the challenge.

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1130 comments I'm in!

message 38: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Welcome SiMo and Suzanne!

Sarah | 3273 comments Amanda wrote: "I'd love to join the challenge! I still haven't read any GRR Martin and I feel like I'm missing out on something great."

You are missing out. My opinion is completely different than Làra's. I think GRR Martin is the master at character development. And I just love love love love these books. I can't wait to see what you think.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I can't wait to try them out! Epic fantasy is my favorite genre, so there is a high probability that I will love them. I love fantasies with epic battles and court intrigue.
I'll have to see who I agree with more :).

Sarah | 3273 comments Yes.I can't wait. I also want to know if you think it has all been done before, since this is a genre you are familiar with, or if you think things are new or done differently.

message 42: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (ssaradd) I finished book 1 a couple of months ago, and just started working on book 2. Maybe having a group to discuss will help motivate me.

message 43: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sara wrote: "I finished book 1 a couple of months ago, and just started working on book 2. Maybe having a group to discuss will help motivate me."

Sara, We did a buddy read of this maybe 2 years ago? Let me know if you'd like a link to it.

message 44: by Becca (new)

Becca (ladybeccaboo) So, this buddy read is starting in December? I'm confused. My husband has been on me to read the books or watch the series, and I guess if all of you are doing it, then what the hell.

message 45: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Hey Rebecca. Yes, there are a few people who want to read the whole series starting with book 1 in December. The discussion thread is here. The actual date in December hasn't been decided yet, but probably early December due to the holidays

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I am so in! Love, love, love this series!

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4917 comments Oh good, these aren't starting until December! I have been meaning to start this series. I think I'll try to join in :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Im in , would love to try out the series :)

message 49: by Megan (new)

Megan (cavernism) Woo I want in! It's high time I read these books.

message 50: by Jex (new) - added it

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments A part of me wants to say yes and a part of me is intimidated by the length of the series. I'll do at least book 1 :-P

« previous 1 3