Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > I'm not sleeping.

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (last edited May 22, 2009 01:43AM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Is this a bad thing?

___ check here if yes, I'm breeding insomnia.

___ check here if no, everything is fine don't worry.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 22, 2009 04:49AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments From one insomniac to another, I think this is probably a transformational event with attached negative fallout, but let's reframe. What could be causing the lack of sleep? What can we learn from it?

message 3: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I've been hearing this a lot lately and I've been having trouble sleeping myself the past couple nights. SO, do you think it's something about this time of year, or do you think it's contagious?

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm not sleeping either. I know the cause, though. No, I don't want to talk about it.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i sleep like someone shot me in the bum with a tranquilizer dart. i stay up reasonably late, don't eat much in the evening and read until i fall asleep (unless the Barry White music is playing)and wake up without an alarm at around 6:30 feeling rested. sorry

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My wife is not sleeping very well either, on the other hand I seem to be fully rested almost every morning.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "I'm not sleeping either. I know the cause, though. No, I don't want to talk about it."

Well when ever you do we're here for you Larry.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Thanks, Jim. I appreciate that.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my wife does the same thing Sherri. she can't shut her brain off and asks me questions as i am falling asleep. she takes Ambien most of the time so she can. now as she is falling asleep she talks like Amy Winehouse slurring her words and laughing for no reason

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I've been sleeping ALOT over the past week. :) Maybe too much... then again, I'm not sick, and I'm happy as a lark, so it can't be too bad for me.

Sally, I was in your shoes two weeks ago, though. I get serious spring fever - I blame it on the start of baseball season.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yeah, baseball...that must be it.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments (more like "the boys of summer" in my case)

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

mmmm - good song!

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments It took on a whole new meaning for me for several summers in a row when "the boys of summer" moved in as my neighbors. :)

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments last evening i sat on the porch and heard my son playing "hotel california" in his room while just laying there. i had forgotten what a good song that was and what killer guitar it had in it.

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Kevin, have you heard the Gipsy Kings' version? It blows the Eagles' version out of the water, IMHO.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Aw, Sally, you seem to go through stages with this insomnia thing. So maybe it will help for you to remember that it is a phase, and settle into it, knowing it will be over in a week or so.

I keep waking up far too early, and I can't fall back asleep because I think I should get up and accomplish something. Which is ridiculous because then I'm too tired to accomplish a thing, except plan my nap. Gah.

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Naps are the best.

message 19: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments Are you getting enough physical activity (in the broadest sense of the word), Sally? I find that too much headwork leaves me tossing and turning. Not that I mind, because I think sleep is grossly overrated. If I didn't need to sleep, I wouldn't.

My wife does four or five intercontintental flights a month. Although I have seen and felt the consequences at close quarters, I still cannot fully fathom what that kind of jet-whacking must be like.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh wow, RA, that must destroy her! Just when she's adjusting she has to fly overseas again.

It takes awhile for the soul to catch up with the body when flying. :D

What does your wife do?

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

This reminds me a comment from earlier: Ambien is freaky stuff.

I'm a super active sleeper anyway, talking and kicking, and often waking myself on the verge of sleepwalking. So I think the "don't try to fight sleep" part of that prescription wouldn't work for me.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My wife is a special ed teacher, Lori. But I think you're talking to Richard, as special education teaching tends not to require too much intercontinental flying:)

message 23: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments I'm not sure what RA's wife does, but my wife is an air hostess, Lori. Her last three flights were to Nigeria, Curacao and Delhi.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I want to be an air hostess!!! OMG!

message 25: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments It sounds fab, Heidi, but imagine being woken up in the middle of the night, half asleep, to go to your favourite restaurant, where you're expected to serve 400 annoying guests.

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'm more of a night person. I could deal with that.

Now if you said I'd have to serve breakfast in the wee hours of the morning, that'd be a whooooole other story.

message 27: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments Dinner, lunch and breakfast, Heids.

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori Richard, she sure goes to some great places! I imagine she doesn't really have the opportunity to spend time there, tho.

message 29: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments It varies, Lori. She's usually away for three nights, but at least one of those is spent flying. If she flies west, she has more time to spend sightseeing. She doesn't like flying eastward, because the jetlag is worse.

She also saw New York, Lima and Teheran in recent months. I think it would freak me out.

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

"You could be an ♫air♫♫ ♪♫ ♪hostess♫ from the sixties! Woo hoo!"

message 31: by Heidi (last edited May 22, 2009 09:18AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh, that might make me cranky (the 3 meals, I mean).

message 32: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments She's a purser, so she doesn't actually have to hand out trays, but she does have to deal with the madness that invariably erupts when you cram 400 souls into a vibrating cylinder from which there is no escape.

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori And no escape for a looooooooong time!

message 34: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments They should hand out benadryl and sudafed liberally.

message 35: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments I'm sure they'd be a real treat in combination with all the free booze.

message 36: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments At least people would be quiet. Very quiet.

message 37: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I love the psychology of the masses. hahaha

I found one sleep aid that worked for me a few years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember the name & can't find it online. It turned off the brain impulses that cause the hyperactive brain syndrome, and it also helped restless leg stuff which often happens simultaneously. But, I could actually wake up in the morning on it (my most hated side-effect - I can't wake up normally).

I think I must have dreamed about it. :\

message 38: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments heidi - thanks for the Gipsy Kings version. very cool. i love latin music. when i am in central america i live for this kind of stuff. also i am crazy about mariachi music.

message 39: by Heidi (last edited May 22, 2009 10:21AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Gipsy Kings!!! Flamenco makes me soooo happy (The Vicky Cristina Barcelona soundtrack is high on my list of "to get... stat."). Kevin, I'll bet you've heard some great samplings of interesting local music in your travels. :)

message 40: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup. especially in street fairs and festivals. i always buy CD's when they have them available or shoot video. when i was india in february i really got a better appreciation for indian music. much more passionate and soulful than it initially sounds.

message 41: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Sally wrote: ""You could be an ♫air♫♫ ♪♫ ♪hostess♫ from the sixties! Woo hoo!""

You could be a part-time model...

message 42: by Lori (new)

Lori Sherri - we have the same problem, Richard is such a restless sleeper! We now have one of those no-movement King-sized mattresses, and it's heaven.

BTW we've had a King forever, 25 years, and whenever we go away, if they don't have Kings, we try to get twins. Queens are tiny compared to a King!

message 43: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Ah yes, the beloved King-sized mattress.
I too have this problem. I can sleep through a death-metal rock concert in our bedroom, but one twitch from my husband (he's a leg kicker - like a dog dreaming of chasing cats at full speed) and I shoot straight up into full wakefulness.

On the other hand, he hears every little sqeek of the floorboards or click of a clock, and I snore (well, I did - now I get to wear a snorkel hose at night). We are def a matched pair.

I wonder if it's a kinesthetic vs. auditory persona thing.

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori ooooh yes the snores. Richard does that as well, so loud you can hear him from across the house, it's so charming to sleep with him! I jam earplugs in as far as possible.

message 45: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments There is (almost) nothing else that can piss you off in the middle of the night than a loud, annoying, repetative snorer. The worst is when you wake up mad, but know you can't do anything because they aren't doing it on purpose, then they stop only to immediately begin just as you finally calm down & drift off again.

message 46: by Kevin (last edited May 22, 2009 11:48AM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments cosmic sher - i think that was an opening for a comment from you

message 47: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Bwaahaha! Sherri - I just had this vivid visual of you & your husband in bed with his leg tied up, and the entire bed shaking like an earthquake with you hanging onto the bedpost screaming like a banshee. heeeee!

message 48: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments lol I love cats like that.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.