The Orion Team. discussion

THE SEVENTH FLOOR > Books that deserve to be adapted to the big screen.

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samuel , Director (last edited Aug 29, 2013 02:38AM) (new)

Samuel  | 4691 comments Mod
There has been a recent increase in the number of new authors in the genre (Thanks to events like the Arab Spring keeping the world interesting and full of inspiration).

As Hollywood runs out of ideas for films, what books, new or old in the political/geopolitical/spy genre do you think deserve to be made into films?

message 2: by Roger (new)

Roger Weston | 20 comments I think that David Morrell’s The Brotherhood Of The Rose would make a good movie. I recall hearing that the film rights were sold recently, so it may happen.

message 3: by Samuel , Director (new)

It looks very good Roger and the concept which one of the reviewers explained, would create gigantic amounts of tension and paranoia.

message 4: by Samuel , Director (last edited Sep 01, 2013 09:19PM) (new)

Andrew Britton's The American.
The American has fantastic material for action scenes including the climatic "three leader hit", and as a third of it is set in South Africa, the film industry there can help as it's world class.

message 5: by Samuel , Director (last edited Sep 01, 2013 09:27PM) (new)

The Tourist Trilogy. The rights have been purchased by some studio. Now if they don't change the enemy from the Chinese MSS, it will be superb.
An American Spy by Olen Steinhauer The Nearest Exit by Olen Steinhauer The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer

message 6: by Samuel , Director (new)

Almost forgot, The Lion and The Lion's game. Both books are screaming to be made into films, and if they're faithful to the source material, they will be extremly funny films.

message 7: by Samuel , Director (new)

The Dewey Andreas Series. Top quality material for action scenes and the settings will be superb.
Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1) by Ben Coes Coup D'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2) by Ben Coes The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3) by Ben Coes Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4) by Ben Coes

message 8: by Samuel , Director (new)

Executive Orders by Tom Clancy and maybe Debt OF Honour. In The latter's case, modify the enemy to make it relevant. In the former's case, everything will be fine.

message 9: by Roger (new)

Roger Weston | 20 comments Cain by James Byron Huggins was a good read. Bruce Willis was reported to have purchased the movie rights, but I haven't seen the movie come out yet.

message 10: by Samuel , Director (new)

The Chancellor manuscript by Robert Ludlum. Already planned with Leonardo Di Caprio in the titular role. Sadly, they're setting it in the modern era,straying away from the source material.

message 11: by Samuel , Director (last edited Apr 22, 2014 02:40AM) (new)

The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1) by Tom Wood

A book which screams movie material. The main character can be Richard Armitage, his opposing number is fit for Daniel Craig and the main female character is suitable for Ann Hathaway.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick Brett | 141 comments Good call on The Brotherhood of the Rose - great series and a really clever idea. I recall reading Recovery (Steven L Thompson) about the same time, another fast paced thriller with a clever idea.

message 13: by Roger (new)

Roger Weston | 20 comments Nick wrote: "Good call on The Brotherhood of the Rose - great series and a really clever idea. I recall reading Recovery (Steven L Thompson) about the same time, another fast paced thriller with a clever idea."

I've never heard of The Recovery. Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.

message 14: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) | 145 comments Without Remorse, Tom Clancy.

message 15: by Samuel , Director (last edited Apr 25, 2014 01:11PM) (new)

Jack wrote: "Without Remorse, Tom Clancy."

Conveniently being developed as we speak. It will most likely be a "pragmatic adaption" moving the setting from the Vietnam war to either the 1990's Gulf War or the first decade of the war on terror. Actor who has been picked to play John Clark is Tom Hardy.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0362766/

The man is very competent and given the right material can be downright terrifying, similar to Clark in the book.

Release date for the movie itself has not been decided yet.

message 16: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) | 145 comments Samuel wrote: "Jack wrote: "Without Remorse, Tom Clancy."

Conveniently being developed as we speak. It will most likely be a "pragmatic adaption" moving the setting from the Vietnam war to either the 1990's Gulf..."

I did not know that. I look forward to it. I hope they don't give it the Patriot Games treatment.

message 17: by Samuel , Director (last edited Dec 27, 2015 03:09PM) (new)

While the without remorse film continues to smolder in development hell, I just found another reason why Tom Hardy would make a great John Clark.
I knew he puts in the effort to prepare for his roles (Warrior being a case in point where he learned as much MMA as he could)
but who knew that the "petite bourgeois middle class London boy" as he self-deprecatingly refereed to himself, is a somewhat decent hand with firearms?

https://www.czub.cz/en/news/news/718-...

message 18: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "While the without remorse film continues to smolder in development hell, I just found another reason why Tom Hardy would make a great John Clark.
I knew he puts in the effort to prepare for his ro..."

Good trigger discipline for starters.

message 19: by Aiden (new)

Aiden Bailey (aidenlbailey) | 175 comments I Am Pilgrim (Pilgrim, #1) by Terry Hayes

I Am Pilgrim by Australian author Terry Hayes was a fantastic novel and is in early stages of being made into a movie. I think this one could do well, but they need to cast it right.

message 20: by Samuel , Director (new)

The plot concept is interesting. Genre bending spy novel disguised as a murder mystery.

I hear he's also got a speculative technothriller already out, some kind of US Naval experiment with an aircraft carrier going so badly wrong......

message 21: by Aiden (new)

Aiden Bailey (aidenlbailey) | 175 comments Hadn't heard that. I thought he was writing a sequel to I Am Pilgrim.

message 22: by Varun (new)

Varun (varunkhanna) | 6 comments Samuel wrote: "The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1) by Tom Wood

A book which screams movie material. The main character can be Richard Armitage, his opposing number is fit for Daniel Craig and the main female character is suita..."

I would absolutely watch that movie. Great novel, and absolutely great movie fodder.

message 23: by Samuel , Director (new)

Varun wrote: "Samuel wrote: "The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1) by Tom Wood

A book which screams movie material. The main character can be Richard Armitage, his opposing number is fit for Daniel Craig and the main female cha..."

AGREED!!!!!!!!

message 24: by Samuel , Director (new)

Varun wrote: "Samuel wrote: "The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1) by Tom Wood

A book which screams movie material. The main character can be Richard Armitage, his opposing number is fit for Daniel Craig and the main female cha..."

I've spoken with the author Varun, he says the script exists but the option has not been picked up yet.

message 25: by Varun (last edited Oct 27, 2016 10:00PM) (new)

Varun (varunkhanna) | 6 comments Samuel wrote: "Varun wrote: "Samuel wrote: "The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1) by Tom Wood

A book which screams movie material. The main character can be Richard Armitage, his opposing number is fit for Daniel Craig and the m..."

Really? That surprises me, especially with the rise of Bourne, Jack Reacher, etc. these days. If the script exists, not sure what is stopping a studio from picking it up.

Wouldn't even need to be too high a budget. John Wick level production would probably suffice, which is relatively low budget as far as movies go. It would seem like a safe bet.

Someone really needs to get on that... I love how the protagonist is... well... kind of like a grounded Bourne type, except, he knows exactly what and who he is, and is okay with it. And the action is nonstop, plus the plot make sense, and isn't overly complicated (unfortunately necessary for movies).

I actually inhaled this entire series in like a week. I could not put the books down.

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 7 comments This option just got picked for my A Good Thriller's PIFM November read out of the ten I selected for them. I have been meaning to get to it since I bought it a few months back. Can't wait to see what this Victor is all about because it is a much loved book. It was hard for me to track down in book stores. I didn't know at first that it fell under two names. My copy is The Killer. I think I like the title The Hunter better, knowing he is an assasin. Or at least I think thats the premise, if I recall correctly.

message 27: by Samuel , Director (new)

Varun wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Varun wrote: "Samuel wrote: "The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1) by Tom Wood

A book which screams movie material. The main character can be Richard Armitage, his opposing number is fit for Daniel ..."

Yeah, mentioned the same thing in my reviews of the series. Victor does not delude himself with self righteousness or pretensions of nobility. He's a polite chap who kills men and women for large sums of money, not a fellow who wraps himself in a flag after omitting horrible deeds.

message 28: by Samuel , Director (new)

Did some checking.

message 29: by Samuel , Director (new)

Studio Canal has the option.

message 30: by Samuel , Director (new)

Now all they need is the money.