The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Least Favorite Books of the Summer 2013 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
What were your least favorite books of the Summer 2013 Challenge?

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1322 comments Perfume The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind 2 stars
I don't like it when so many people love a book that I can't stand. I feel like I'm missing something. For me, the premise is there. I would love to see it in the hands of another author, updated I guess.

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1) by H.P. Mallory 1 star

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1182 comments 1*: Down to You (The Bad Boys, #1) by M. Leighton Mine 'Til Monday by Ruby Laska

message 5: by Deedee (last edited Aug 29, 2013 04:20AM) (new)

Deedee | 2054 comments My lone 1* this time:
The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn
The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn
Not a vampire novel, but, instead, a highly unlikely "gothic romance" which lacked atmosphere and lacked romance.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls - I was expecting soo much and was seriously disappointed

message 7: by Salem (new)

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3819 comments No 1 star books.

2 stars: The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I listened to the audio version of this book so perhaps that is why I did not really get into it.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments When It Happens by Susane Colasanti
2 star book. It was so predictable and a waste of my time.

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10789 comments Mod
Not my thing:
A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf - I've yet to find a Virginia Woolf book that I like. One of these days I'm going to stop trying.
The Quiet Girl by Peter Høeg - I started this for the challenge, but couldn't finish it. Luckily, the book I replaced it with was fabulous!

message 11: by Ana (last edited Sep 01, 2013 08:37AM) (new)

Ana | 331 comments Life of Pi by Yann Martel . I didn't finish it. I spend so much time trying though.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn . I didn't finish this one either.

A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray and Boys that Bite (Blood Coven Vampire, #1) by Mari Mancusi . I gave these two 2 stars.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments I hated Gone Girl. So many people told me it was so good but I couldn't finish it.

message 13: by Ana (new)

Ana | 331 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I hated Gone Girl. So many people told me it was so good but I couldn't finish it."

I picked it for the reading group at our local library. It had such great reviews. Only 2 people in our group read it. They liked it. The rest of the group couldn't finish it and hated it.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments I gave the book to my sister.

message 15: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 867 comments I really didn't care for The Book of Lost Things - just not my cup of tea.

message 16: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 468 comments My 2 least favorite books were Light from a Distant Star and Long for This World: A Novel

I'm just not a character study person.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 905 comments Zoe & Zak and the Ghost Leopard

This was the only book I really didn't like. I received it in return for a review. Thankfully it was short.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments I take it the review was too? :)

message 20: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 486 comments Least favorite books Summer 2013

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews Proceed with Caution by Betsy Brannon Green Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon, #1) by Anna Banks

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (deja05) | 100 comments Least favourite books:

When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney - I found the characters unrealistic and the plot all over the place. Had to force myself to finish this.

Mafia Chic by Erica Orloff - just no

Watermark A Novel of the Middle Ages by Vanitha Sankaran - interesting premise but poor writing

A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay - didn't really connect with the characters and I guessed the "secret" quite early on

Eona (Eon, #2) by Alison Goodman - not a bad book but I expected more from it after reading and loving Eon. I felt the ending was rushed too.

message 22: by Peebee (last edited Sep 24, 2013 08:59PM) (new)

Peebee | 486 comments One Star Books from the Summer SRC:

The White Glove War by Katie Crouch
Love her chick lit but supernatural Southern debutante YA fiction is not her thing.

The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner
Tiresome aimless whiners.

Leaving the Atocha Station
Thinly disguised autobiography of a douchebag.

message 23: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments My 1 Star book was the Group Read:

The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson

2 Star Books:

Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler Caught by Harlan Coben The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

message 24: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments I had two 2 star books,

The Orphan Master's Son, I can't believe the awards it is receiving, I found it... unreadable. I skim read most of it, something I usually don't do.

And

The Lotus Eaters which I had such high hopes for, but hated every character.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1123 comments The audio version of The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian could have been used as a sleep aid. My husband and I listened to it together and we both found it to be a worthy of only 1 star.

message 26: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Bec wrote: "I had two 2 star books,

The Orphan Master's Son, I can't believe the awards it is receiving, I found it... unreadable. I skim read most of it, something I usually don't do.

And

I totally agree!
The Lotus Eaters..."

message 27: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 592 comments I only had 1 2 star book, The Glittering Lights by Barbara Cartland. I loved all the other books I read this summer!

message 28: by Dee (last edited Nov 08, 2013 03:38PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments Bec wrote: "I had two 2 star books, The Lotus Eaters

I really disliked the characters in The Lotus Eaters and yet I liked the book...it reminded me of a more sophisticated version of Danielle Steele's Letters From Nam