Robert McCammon discussion

Stinger
This topic is about Stinger
What shall we be reading > Buddy Read for Stinger-We're Done!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Char We're Done! Come share your final thoughts and impressions with us! No spoiler tags necessary. :)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments I'm here!!! Anyone?

Char Not yet, but soon!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Charlene wrote: "Not yet, but soon!"

I have a slight headache from reading the last half basically non-stop; but SO worth it...

Char Whew, you flew! I'm at the last 10% or so.

Jon Recluse | 86 comments It was freaking awesome!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "It was freaking awesome!"

LOL! What he said!! I believe that this was the first book by Robert McCammon that I ever read. He had it all: characterization, atmosphere, the ability to build mounting tension..... And from there, I was hooked! I loved the line at the end about the "two men" walking away, when all along Cody and Rick were simply "kids" on the brink of graduation. The way he showed us the character growth in so many ways really stood out, IMHO.

Char OMG, I'm crying! I'm also late for picking up my mom! I could not put it down! I'll be back to talk later!

Randolph (us227381) I told you I'd fall behind.

Char Aww, Randolph!

Anyway, did I mention that I loved it? I still can't get over all that action towards the end...it just kept me glued to the page.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Charlene wrote: "Aww, Randolph!

Anyway, did I mention that I loved it? I still can't get over all that action towards the end...it just kept me glued to the page."

McCammon has that ability to make his characters so....human--you really do feel as though they're real!! That ending was incredibly powerful, emotionally speaking.

Char OMG, I can't believe I was crying over Cody's dad. Especially because he pulled that tie rack stunt earlier- the jerk. And what about the guy with Scooter, (I can't think of his name right now), but I LOVED what happened with him.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Charlene wrote: "OMG, I can't believe I was crying over Cody's dad. Especially because he pulled that tie rack stunt earlier- the jerk. And what about the guy with Scooter, (I can't think of his name right now), bu..."

Sarge....couldn't have been anymore "perfect" for everyone involved. (I cried over Cody's dad, Curt, too....)

Char Sarge, that's it! Absolutely perfect. :)

Hunter (goathunter) | 154 comments Mod
Some trivia:

Did you notice the timeframe for the story? It all took place in 24 hours.

Rick McCammon has said Stinger was one of the hardest books for him to write. He got near the end and realized that one of the characters wasn't where he needed to be, so he had to go back about 200 pages and rework it.

He also says there are names of '50s sci-if movies scattered throughout the book. I never noticed them the last time I read it....

Hunter

Char I did notice that. Buckner (whose name I remember because I'm a Red Sox fan), made special note of it when he found Rhodes at the end.
I don't know that I noticed any sci-fi titles though.
Thanks for sharing with us, Hunter. :)

Char I wonder who the character was that wasn't in place? Do you know?

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments OMG!!! I read straight through from Chapter 23 to the end~~to 5 AM!
I cannot believe that I ever read this and forgot it!
And I totally cried at the end
I don't recall any movie titles either but I was so focused on the story
it might not have registered
I also realized at the end that it had all taken place in 24 hours
all I can say is WOW

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Joanne wrote: "OMG!!! I read straight through from Chapter 23 to the end~~to 5 AM!
I don't recall any movie titles either bu..."

I did realize that it took place in 24 hours (at the end, there was a comment about the "men" graduating that day). However, the movie references went over my head--I don't figure we'll know who the character was who wasn't in place, since McCammon went back and fixed that--LOL!

Char I thought Hunter might know.

If memory serves, Sarge was the wayward character. 8-)

Despite the mention of the sun coming up, I've talked to many people who didn't notice that it all happened in 24 hours.

I'm just starting my re-read. If I find any movie titles, I'll let you know. 8-)

Hunter

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Hunter wrote: "If memory serves, Sarge was the wayward character. 8-)

Despite the mention of the sun coming up, I've talked to many people who didn't notice that it all happened in 24 hours.

I'm just starting m..."

Thanks Hunter!

Char Joanne wrote: "OMG!!! I read straight through from Chapter 23 to the end~~to 5 AM!
I don't recall any movie titles either bu..."

I felt the same way, Joanne! I'm so glad that we all enjoyed it so much! At least, the ones that have checked in here, anyway. :)

Char Hunter wrote: "If memory serves, Sarge was the wayward character. 8-)

I'm just starting m..."

I was hoping that you would know, Hunter. We've already mentioned how perfect Sarge's character was for the ending that he received. Just perfect. I think Mr. McCammon made the right choice doing whatever he had to do to achieve that perfect ending.

Randolph (us227381) A classic disaster formula: isolate a bunch of people throw in an insurmountable threat. McCammon saves the formula with his characters. His characterization of believable and emotionally sympathetic characters is equaled only by King and it's what drives Stinger. Plus it's a platform for a glorious suspense filled monster fest. Who can argue with that?

Char Randolph, well said and I agree.

I'd like to invite anyone who finished Stinger to leave a review for it on Amazon. It only has 72 reviews and could use some more! 8-)

Hunter

Char Sure, Hunter. :)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Hunter wrote: "I'd like to invite anyone who finished Stinger to leave a review for it on Amazon. It only has 72 reviews and could use some more! 8-)

Hunter"

STINGER only has 72 reviews?????

message 30: by Pamellia (new) - added it

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments I greatly enjoyed this book so much that I am finding it difficult to read another book I need to read for another group...I just want to go right to Gone South!! I want to write that amazon review and write some insightful..lol..comments. But I'm so D-A-M-N tired right now and still have more clean up in the kitchen. Guest for a gourmet dinner....oh, snap! It's past 10 pm!!

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments Pamellia wrote: "I greatly enjoyed this book so much that I am finding it difficult to read another book I need to read for another group...I just want to go right to Gone South!! I want to write that amazon revie..."

hang in there Pam and just breathe ....
you can do it!

message 32: by Pamellia (new) - added it

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Joanne wrote: hang in there Pam and just breathe...you can do it!...

I hope so! Just at 22% on Dead Sea...I admit, it is becomming more interesting to me. I know I will breeze through our next read here.

message 33: by Paul (last edited Sep 08, 2013 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Martinez | 25 comments Wow -- What a book! I don't understand how you handled this "buddy read" though -- weren't we were supposed to be doing 100 pages at a time... and commenting on Tuesdays -- well this coming Tuesday Sept.10th would be the 3rd? week since beginning? So why /how are we done?
Anyway -- what great "monsters" and perfectly executed descriptions of what were mechanical/human/demonically sinister -- alien hybrids. I remember being ahead of everyone at the beginning and now -- I still have the last 100 pages ... oh wait I see mine is the "director's cut " edition and has 200 extra pages -- that must be why.

Char This was just a buddy read, not an official group read.
There are threads for each 100 or so pages, so people could pop in there and post as they got there, without the hassle of spoiler tags.

Char No one has to comment on a certain day. Comments can be made whenever you want to.

message 36: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Martinez | 25 comments Ahhh -- I did not understand. (That's nothing new!) Now I know the difference between a "group read" and a "buddy read!" (I just discovered Goodreads about 2 1/2 weeks ago... just before y'all began Stinger. It was cool knowing this group was "out there" reading it at the same time! Thanks for the camaraderie!

Char No worries!
I am new at this, perhaps I should have made things more clear.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Charlene wrote: "No worries!
I am new at this, perhaps I should have made things more clear."

And then there are those of us that "forget" the rules, anyway; and just read/comment whenever they want...

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments Kimberly wrote: "Charlene wrote: "No worries!

And then there are those of us that "forget" the rules, anyway; and just read/comment whenever they want..."

or who just stay up all night and read it straight through :)
I actually did try to comment in the first two threads but it was one of those nights where none of my posts were 'saving'

Char I had a good time with it. I hope most everyone else did too. :)
I've got Gone South lined up to start this week.

message 41: by Pamellia (new) - added it

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments welcome Paul. Don't get discouraged. I am still learning and kept getting mixed up on the guidelines. You have leaders here with much patience!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Joanne wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Charlene wrote: "No worries!

And then there are those of us that "forget" the rules, anyway; and just read/comment..."

I have been having that happen on and off all week, too, Joanne. :(

Susan Barlow | 6 comments I thoroughly enjoyed the last bit of the book. It was a very exciting roller coaster ride to the end. I liked how Curt and Sarge, two very unlikely heroes, stole the show at the end. It was surprising because earlier in the story it looked like it was going to be heavy on the theme of the the gangs joining together to fight a common enemy.

Char I liked what happened with Curt and Sarge as well. :)

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments Charlene wrote: "I liked what happened with Curt and Sarge as well. :)"

I did too~Curt had a chance to redeem himself to his son and
Sarge, who'd been lost and pretty much ignored since his accident
finally got to be the hero and redeem himself to himself

message 46: by Pamellia (new) - added it

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Yes, that was some heart felt writing at the end.

Char Well said, Joanne! I don't think it could have been any more perfect of an ending.

message 48: by Pamellia (last edited Sep 10, 2013 06:05AM) (new) - added it

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Some excellent writers do not write very good endings...and then there is Bob...but you know he has no excuse now for writing a bad ending to any book of his. He really knows how to "wind things up" doesn't he!!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Pamellia wrote: "So excellent writers do not write very good endings...and then there is Bob...but you know he has no excuse now for writing a bad ending to any book of his. He really knows how to "wind things up"..."

Agreed with all of you--he did tie everything up absolutely perfectly, IMHO!!

Jon Recluse | 86 comments I agree with Kimberly's agreement!

« previous 1