Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Your Writing! > In the words of Gavin

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Lyon (gavinlyon) | 11 comments It'd probably be an idea to work out how to post or link stuff. I'd like to put up 'Tree Songs' but don't want to copy and paste as its a little long. So, some help perchance?

inactive account (inactiveaccoun) | 48 comments This topic scared me for a sec

message 3: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Lyon (gavinlyon) | 11 comments I'm a little amused by that. It's nice to know you're not still threatened. What did you think I was?

message 4: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments See the arrow next to the Explore button on the Goodreads navigation bar? Click the arrow, go down to the "Creative Writing", then on the next page hit "my writing". There you can post your works, then once they're up simply copy the url to this discussion.

inactive account (inactiveaccoun) | 48 comments Well my name is Gavin

message 6: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Lyon (gavinlyon) | 11 comments A ha! Thank you, Edward, I appear to have done it at last.

message 7: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Lyon (gavinlyon) | 11 comments And here, for everyone, is 'Tree Songs'. http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments Gavin, I've just read 'Tree Songs' - what a stunning piece of writing this is. I think I stopped breathing after the first sentence or two. I am lost for words!

message 9: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Lyon (gavinlyon) | 11 comments Thanks, Ryan. I wrote it a couple of years ago after reading Borges' 'Fictiones'. And I see what you mean about there being some over-long sentences in there :/

message 10: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments Hmmm...I don't think I said anything about the sentences ;)

There are a few sentences that are quite wordy, but I found the story utterly riveting and the composition certainly didn't get in the way of my reading. While I'm sure you could cut and shorten if you chose, I actually enjoyed the language you've used and the way you've constructed the piece. To me, the narrator seems to be bursting with enthusiasm and excited to be conveying his experience. So, in this instance, the longer and wordier sentences seemed to fit the narrator's voice and add to its truthfulness.

To me, the ultimate test is always the story itself. All the other parts contribute in smaller ways but if the story is not there, no amount of grammatical correctness will sell it. And your story is most certainly there, Gavin. As I've already said, I found myself holding my breath as I read. I loved it!

message 11: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Lyon (gavinlyon) | 11 comments Thank you. You are the third person on the planet to read it :)